will they waive my mistake ?

Hi ,

I have had seven consecutive extensions based on marriage .....Already made an appointment for next month , kept over 400 k all the past year on my account as usual . But I kept the amount a little short over the 400 k , and suddenly I thought they probably will take out a Atm-card fee on my account , checked and its 50 baht under the 400 k now ...I wonder if immigration will waive my small mistake , I popped it up immediately again and has been under 400 k for 19 days (in the 60 days period).............in total .

It was already confusing , because I'm still waiting for my brand new passport to arrive in a week from now . the usual date got trimmed with 2 months , because of the validity date ......

Anyway , what to do in my situation now ? All help and experience much respected , thanks .

Guess I try to get the extension , cause have got an appointment anyway .

Still guessing if I will point it out to them or let them spot it themselves , if I point it out next month , and they say sorry cannot , I probably will get the chance to get the extension based

on visiting my wife instead .I presume I 'll be able to extend that again in the last 30 days of the 60 days total right ?

If yes , don't think I will get in much trouble except 1900 double....

Edited by tijnebijn

Still guessing if I will point it out to them or let them spot it themselves , if I point it out next month , and they say sorry cannot , I probably will get the chance to get the extension based

on visiting my wife instead .I presume I 'll be able to extend that again in the last 30 days of the 60 days total right ?

You can't get an extension on an extension except possibly getting a 7-day extension which really is the result of being denied an extension or I assume the 1 year extension mentioned above (never did this). So, if you get a 60-day extension to visit wife then you would need to do a border run and get a 15 or 30 day entry stamp (depending on nationality or land vs. air entry) which you can then get another extension to visit for 60-days on. You pretty much can do this indefinitely or at least for a fairly long time from my experience without it being an issue.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can't get an extension on an extension except possibly getting a 7-day extension which really is the result of being denied an extension or I assume the 1 year extension mentioned above (never did this). So, if you get a 60-day extension to visit wife then you would need to do a border run and get a 15 or 30 day entry stamp (depending on nationality or land vs. air entry) which you can then get another extension to visit for 60-days on. You pretty much can do this indefinitely or at least for a fairly long time from my experience without it being an issue.

A jumbled lot of nonsense !

Disregard this post and look to post 4 for reliable information.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A jumbled lot of nonsense !

Disregard this post and look to post 4 for reliable information.

Actually makes perfect sense because it is not really clear how long he will have had the 400k in the bank when he applies for the 1 year extension and may need more time. Just because you don't understanding doesn't mean it is nonsense. Not to mention that for some people it is much more convenient to take the 60-day extension route than the 1-year and you don't run into headaches like this. From the OP, it is not clear if he knew about the 60-day option.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

You can get an extension of an extension. You are incorrect. How do you think people get consecutive one year extensions of stay.

You are thinking of the fact that you cannot get two 60 day extensions back to back. You can only get one per entry.

Why would the OP want to start making border runs when he can meet all the requirements for a one year extension of stay.

All thanks for the input guys . Yes I knew about the 60 days option , although I never looked into the matter because I never needed it or thought I might need it with the current requirements , which I already took 7 extensions of consecutive .

I just made a small mistake , forgot a small detail and kept my money (over 400 k though) a little short .

I will try my regular extension , the 400k will be seasoned only 27 days though ,and was only a tiny 50 baht under 400 k for 19 days , and my bankbook shows well over 400 k of all of the past year . On the bankbook they will see by the code it was an atm fee which brought me just under .....

I know I should have been more alert , but still have good hopes they will overlook this rule , its clearly not that I'm borrowing somewhere to get my extension , that's what the seasoning is meant for anyway !!. Would be the top of bureaucracy really if they stick with the 60 days imo , but it is the top here from experience .

But just in case I will mention the 60 days if its a no no , and will report next month how it went , let it be a warning to all of you , normally I'm very alert but got hit with it this time .............

Edited by tijnebijn

• 2 weeks later...

To bump my old threat up for a short while , sorry folks .

I can't say how it would have worked out , about my little problem ,because at CM immigration they just gave me the transfer to my new passport ,

and to my big surprise they gave me my old date back , which is on august three .

Now I have to cancel my appointment , can't make a new one so will have to camp in front the office to get helped that day , but still better then getting refused because of the little mistake I thought I made , that problem at least is solved .

wonder what the mods have to say , because they really did give me my old date back and not until the date of my expiry of my passport .

You apparently got your extension done prior to the rule change last August.

Before that change they did the entire year extension with a provisional one up to the date your passport expired. Then like you just got they would stamp the remainder of the extension after you got your new passport.

Under the new rules they will only do the extension up to the date your passport expires and you have to apply for a new on that date after you get a new passport.

Well thanks for the info UbonJoe ,getting a little complicated to understand this all , but I believe I made my last extension about the 22nd of July , and had to take my approval from Bangkok Sept 3 , my extension is valid until august 3 .

So probably same as you say , and I'm right in the middle of the rule change , lucky this time around , next time more careful .

Depends on the officer you are dealing with. Don't mention it,he may overlook it,if he see's it he may shrug his shoulders if you are lucky.

I once missed my 90 day reporting by 5 day's ( 500 Baht fine per day i believe ) I made a joke that i had a new mia noi and just forgot everything,he just laughed and gave me my new 90 day slip without the fine. Some days one is just lucky.

This is the sort of thing that drove me mad. Got to say it was always a worry not knowing if immigration was going to pull a fast one or make /read changes in a way that would give me a bad day. So nice to be living happy n free in the UK with my Thai wife and two kids. We are off to do some shopping in Paris this week end and yes we will visit Thailand for a holiday if it's safe and the Chiang Mai is clear of smog.

Immigration isn't the boogie man. I wouldn't point out the mistake but wouldn't act like I didn't know about it. Then ask that it be overlooked or waived. If not there are alternatives. The officer probably more well versed in them than most of what you'll read on TV. Just be truthful. Good luck. Good life.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that it doesn't work on an average - the norm in most situations like this - of K400 in the bank, in which case, topping up to over the K400 to compensate for the B50 would [have] achieve[d] the K400 average.

It is not the average. The amount required is the whole amount for the month. Of course some immigration officers will forget to put theri reading glasses on if you treat them right.

This exact same thing happened bto me about 7 years back , mine was 100 baht for about a month and i only noticed a week before having to re-new my visa. My experiance was not a good one as they wanted 10 k from me to sort this mistake out. That was a pain but paid it as my wife was soon due with a baby. Hope there not as harsh on you good luck.