Undermount kitchen sink

Morakot

I'm in the process of having a kitchen sink and top replaced. I'd like an undermount kitchen sink covered with a granite slab.

I'd be glad to hear your ideas and comments to clarify some of the issues:

• There seems to be a very limited choice here for undermounts. Homepro has only two types and both are out of stock in many stores in Bangkok. Where to buy? I found one online retailer at the moment and it looks rather pricey.
  • How should it be mounted? Some suggest brackets combined with a silicone bond connecting it directly with the top slab; other have used some wire contraption connected to masonry. My current built are "Thai-style units" with a concrete top that is covered with granite.
  • Once installed the top and sink might become inseparable and cannot be replaced individually. How should one consider this in terms of the type and quality of the material of sink.
  • Who would be best to install this?

post-155923-0-24008400-1397984742_thumb.

post-155923-0-88898600-1397985098_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

The undermount sinks we've done before all had the sink mounted to the cabinet first, then the granite laid on top, with a polished edge.. i.e. cabinet > sink > granite.

As for availability,I know that Franke and Teka both have a very large range of undermounts, but they're normally a special order and can take 4-6 weeks to arrive.

• Like 1

With all due respect to IMHO, an undermount sink/ basin is not for fixing into a cabinet its for under mounting.

Maybe that what they do stateside??

Ok English style: whether the sink is stainless or ceramic generously blather the basin edge with silicone, place a 3x2 timber across the granite surface then put a large g cramp or small frame cramp through the plughole and carry it on the timber. Offer the sink to the underside and tighten the clamp.

Some stainless steel sinks have screw holes in the underside so you can screw fix as extra precaution....ceramic sink, not seen.

finger off excess silicone and re apply to underside.

Fixing to a base unit does not allow a proper seal especially if that unit is just 3mm lower than the others..

Speculating but fixing the taps in the granite and the waste outlet would appear to be a nightmare with the cabinet framing in the way?

As I say, seems there are more ways to skin a cat.

.......as for franke sinks, I used them a lot on housing projects because the name impressed regular punters but actually they were available in the cheapest diy stores because they were carp. However that's irrelevant when buying a sink spend the money on the tap and don't go cheap.

Good luck

• Like 1

We've done this with cabinets from SB, Modernform and Kvik, the process has always been the same (note: installed by kitchen co. themselves)

1. Install the base cabinet (which does not have a countertop)

2. Install the sink into that cabinet

3. Install the countertop

4. Seal around the sink/countertop junction.

There's no such thing as a 3mm gap in properly installed kitchen :)

• Like 1

Ok English style: whether the sink is stainless or ceramic generously blather the basin edge with silicone, place a 3x2 timber across the granite surface then put a large g cramp or small frame cramp through the plughole and carry it on the timber. Offer the sink to the underside and tighten the clamp.

Some stainless steel sinks have screw holes in the underside so you can screw fix as extra precaution....ceramic sink, not seen.

finger off excess silicone and re apply to underside.

Thanks EC! That's in the general direction I had initially envisaged.

One of the remaining questions: Where would the screws fasten into? Into the granite?

We've done this with cabinets from SB, Modernform and Kvik, the process has always been the same (note: installed by kitchen co. themselves)

There's no such thing as a 3mm gap in properly installed kitchen smile.png

I can clearly see the advantage of this method. But I assume that this will only work with (neatly built) base cabinets. In mine case the "units" are masonry.

Very useful discussion, both IMHO and EC. smile.png

Check out Youtube as there's tons of videos showing various options and how to do it.

I just searched for "install sink in granite countertop". Might even be handy to show your installer a video to remove all possible confusion about what you want and how to do it.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a 3mm gap in properly installed kitchen smile.png

I can clearly see the advantage of this method. But I assume that this will only work with (neatly built) base cabinets. In mine case the "units" are masonry.

Very useful discussion, both IMHO and EC. smile.png

Ahhhh, overlooked that part...

Is the countertop already fitted? if not, I guess it would still be possible to install in the same way the kitchen co's normally install them.

if the countertop is already installed, it's going to be a real challenge to chip away at the cement without damaging the granite.