Abhisit says election is not answer, warns of coup

webfact

Abhisit Says Election Is Not Answer, Warns Of Coup
By Khaosod English

13980762401398076485l.jpg
Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, 21 April 2014.

BANGKOK — The head of the Democrat Party has insisted that a new election is not a sufficient solution to Thailand's ongoing political crisis, contrary to the government's claims.

"At this moment many think ... a smooth, problem-free election is an adequate solution," Abhisit Vejjajiva said at a press conference today. "But that is not the truth."

According to Mr. Abhisit, even if the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra manages to organise a new round of polls—the previous general election on 2 February was invalidated by the Constitutional Court—the public may not accept the election results because of widespread mistrust towards the government.

Mr. Abhisit's comment came the day before a meeting is scheduled to take place between various parties and the Election Commission concerning a future general election. Tomorrow’s meeting will be broadcast live on two government-owned television stations, channels 9 and 11.

The ruling Pheu Thai Party has urged the EC to conduct a new election as soon as possible, but Mr. Abhisit said this will "not answer the country's problems." The Democrat Party boycotted the previous 2 February election.

The head of the opposition party also warned that possible clashes between rival protest groups may lead to a military coup similar to the one that ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2006.

"I want all sides to look at the events of 2006. The date of the election was already set, political parties already began vote canvassing, but it ended in a military coup," Mr. Abhisit told reporters.

He went on, "I hope the discussion on 22 April will not see fights between different parties. The talk should be a discussion about the needs of every side, how to help the country move forward, without violence and coups."

Mr. Abhisit refused to say whether his party will run in the next election, but insisted that the Democrat Party is open to opinions from all sides in tomorrow's forum.

Commenting on the reports that Mr. Thaksin is willing to "quit politics" for the sake of peace in Thailand, Mr. Abhisit said Mr. Thaksin is welcomed to stay in politics as long as he agrees to abide by the rule of laws and transparency.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398076240&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-21

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what a loser, still no solutions, just some mumbling about a "discussion".

whats he still doing in politics, he is doing more damage than good, besides shouldn't he be preparing his defense for the murder charges he is up against ?

There seems to be little interest in the trumped up murder charges which most agree wont fly, most are still waiting for answers as to why thaksin a convicted criminal on the run was issued a passport.

Have you thought about a career in politics? You seem to think you have an inside understanding of what "most" are thinking and what people are "interested in". How can you lose?

pot ....kettle..coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Not sure if this chap understands how silly he sounds when he, as the the head of the Democratic party, says that elections are "not the answer"?

Maybe he should first frame the question, then offer a solution. Clearly not the best, nor the brightest, so much for the allure of an Old Etonian.

You can go to jail in Thailand you know, for associating with political groups defining what you want to hear. ;)

Thaksin will be pleased to hear there is still a chance of a coup, he has been doing his best to goad the army into one for a long time.

Wrong for Abhisit to mention it for it will give the reds incentive to cause as much trouble as possible.

Not sure if this chap understands how silly he sounds when he, as the the head of the Democratic party, says that elections are "not the answer"?

Maybe he should first frame the question, then offer a solution. Clearly not the best, nor the brightest, so much for the allure of an Old Etonian.

You can go to jail in Thailand you know, for associating with political groups defining what you want to hear. ;)
A leader? How did he last get into power. Connect with the people and play ball Abhisit, at the moment your just fanning the flames to another murder charge. Goose. Next....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Even Khaosod can't colour Abhisit's words. They are just too carefully chosen. Abhisit is right. You can't enter an election under the current divisions and expect anything other than February 2 all over again. In a way, one has the naughty desire for Pheu Thai's supporters to get their wish and see what would happen in the event of an election where presumably the vote was not blocked. Do they not realize that Bangkok and the South would deliver strong " no " pluralities that would overwhelm local candidacies ? Forget a 95 % quorum. An 80 % quorum would be utterly out of reach. And what would their argument be then ? There is no escaping it - at the end of the day - Pheu Thai is going to have to sit down and talk. In other words, the last thing they like doing.

yes we're all listening scamper.

what a loser, still no solutions, just some mumbling about a "discussion".

whats he still doing in politics, he is doing more damage than good, besides shouldn't he be preparing his defense for the murder charges he is up against ?

There seems to be little interest in the trumped up murder charges which most agree wont fly, most are still waiting for answers as to why thaksin a convicted criminal on the run was issued a passport.

A corrupt judicial system of course.. Next

Thaksin will be pleased to hear there is still a chance of a coup, he has been doing his best to goad the army into one for a long time.

Wrong for Abhisit to mention it for it will give the reds incentive to cause as much trouble as possible.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif unless Taksin has bought off army the red shirts will run like their cowardly hero as fast as they can as soon as army decide enough is enough and unlike last time they wont wait IMO. Also judging by their latest attempts at rallies etc it seems Taksin's money is a little rationed to pay for it all these dyads apart from fact that some (not many yet) previous supporters of their god Taksin are waking up and smelling the coffee. In my red shirt village for first time in around 8 years theirs less and less Taksin posters and some have even dared take down their red shirt flags fro their houses. We for years have been only house without a forced red shirt flag and only got away with that because I'm a forang. My wives relatives name area have stated they dare not do likewise for fear of retribution

Red shirts bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif and great you support them whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Take a breath, you can't be doing your blood pressure any good...............

• Like 1

Even Khaosod can't colour Abhisit's words. They are just too carefully chosen. Abhisit is right. You can't enter an election under the current divisions and expect anything other than February 2 all over again. In a way, one has the naughty desire for Pheu Thai's supporters to get their wish and see what would happen in the event of an election where presumably the vote was not blocked. Do they not realize that Bangkok and the South would deliver strong " no " pluralities that would overwhelm local candidacies ? Forget a 95 % quorum. An 80 % quorum would be utterly out of reach. And what would their argument be then ? There is no escaping it - at the end of the day - Pheu Thai is going to have to sit down and talk. In other words, the last thing they like doing.

no it would not: if there are 2 candidates the no votes have no effect.

Lance Armstrong won 7 times the Tour de France.

Thaksin's Parties won the elections and have been disqualified (sometimes)

The Dems only want an Antidoping System for the next elections.

Edited by lungmi
  • Like 2