Consumer Notice

Gonzo the Face

For general information purposes for those who do shop at the Muang Mai Market.

The price for Thai Beef has now risen to the level of 270 baht per kilo.

Thai Beef April 2014 270 b/p/k

April 2013 230 b/p/k

April 2012 198 b/p/k

April 2011 160 b/p/k

This is posted just for what its worth

BUT it Ain't woith dat much ! ! !

xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.pngxshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

So now tell me who is to blame ........ Thaksin or Suthep ????

P S ... My Menus are priced and dated from May 1, 2011....... guess its time to revisit that program ...

Edited by Gonzo the Face

• Maybe you should write a letter of thanks to Yingluck. Send it to her Chiang Mai home she seems to be doing a lot of Facebooking lately.tongue.png

• You might catch her in Bangkok so send one there. biggrin.png

Don't worry about catching her in the deep south.cheesy.gif

Edited by northernjohn

• Maybe you should write a letter of thanks to Yingluck. Send it to her Chiang Mai home she seems to be doing a lot of Facebooking lately.tongue.png
  • Don't worry about catching her in the deep south.cheesy.gif

Beef prices are shooting up internationally, too. Apparently Yingluck is not just a threat to Thailand but a threat to the world. Or to McDonald's which is pretty much the same thing.

• Like 1

"Don't worry about catching her in the deep south."

shows how much you know...

Do you notice the fake kiss, with her lips pressed together, she gives to the toddler in the first picture ?

That is in line with the fake tears, fake smiles, fake compassion and fake announcements that there is no inflation in Thailand.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 2

Do you notice the fake kiss, with her lips pressed together, she gives to the toddler in the first picture ?

That is in line with the fake tears, fake smiles, fake compassion and fake announcements that there is no inflation in Thailand.

And you would have been happy with a bit of tongue action?

Maybe she did that for the same reason that millions of women do that with babies/toddlers/children.....because they love them and do not want to leave lipstick on them. That way you don't have complaints for spitting on a hankie and wiping the face of the baby facepalm.gif

It's a long bow to draw Yingluck responsible for free market economics of meat supply and demand in Thailand. Maybe better luck linking her into being the gunwoman on the grassy knoll? or responsible for global warming or the Lusitiania....Maybe you should just vote for your preferred candidate at the next election cheesy.gif

Meanwhile...I love steak and if its time for the price to go up, go up it shall...but the weather now is not the best for going out or a good feed.....and the next week does not look promising for improvements in the temperature . Took a long drive around town on Saturday night and it was like a ghost town...no tourists and not many locals, expat or otherwise. (note this.....the CM forum is about weather/food/prices/tourist numbers...politics is somewhere else I think wai2.gif )

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Awful! It's almost like she's a politician or something.

Beef prices in USA also at 20 year highs. It's a world wide market now as frozen beef goes any/every where. And get this; in Hong Kong live chickens now selling for 1200 TB per bird. This high price due to various local and intl factors. I'm going the tofu route.

Spikes in the price of all types of food seems to be a worldwide phenomenon at this time. A friend of mine from the States wrote recently that frozen shrimp and prawns had skyrocketed there over the last year. The official explanation was some sort of nasty shrimp-killing blight has hit the shrimp farms, first in China and then all over SE Asia, including Thailand. I follow local/regional news pretty closely, and had not heard of this. Anyone heard of this?

This friend said the only meat holding steady in price there was chicken.

Took a long drive around town on Saturday night and it was like a ghost town...no tourists and not many locals, expat or otherwise. (note this.....the CM forum is about weather/food/prices/tourist numbers...politics is somewhere else I think wai2.gif )

was in Central Festival twice in the last 2 days. like a ghost town in there too. was wondering what was going on. took some relatives kid to the children's play area. our relative was the only kid in there for about 2 hours.

Spikes in the price of all types of food seems to be a worldwide phenomenon at this time. A friend of mine from the States wrote recently that frozen shrimp and prawns had skyrocketed there over the last year. The official explanation was some sort of nasty shrimp-killing blight has hit the shrimp farms, first in China and then all over SE Asia, including Thailand. I follow local/regional news pretty closely, and had not heard of this. Anyone heard of this?

This friend said the only meat holding steady in price there was chicken.

Seems to me just read an article where the Shrimp industry in Thailand had been going through times with quality but they seem to have it all solved and are looking forward to increasing their export. Not sure what the problems were but they admitted they had them and have taken care of the matter.

We were in the airport mall yesterday and I was surprised at the lack of stalls selling various things in the main walk ways.

If, in fact, there were no or very low inflation (below 2 percent) in Thailand, that would mean the the thai economy would be in very bad shape. Fortunately, that isn't the case. Yet.

Yeah, everything is getting more expensive lately. There's more to come since the effects of getting Thailand 'democratic' are yet to be coming.

Just curious, is there a country which is truly democratic and things are cheap? I know I escaped from one. It's not just from the economic point but socially the society seems so segregated that every move is like intruding on somebody's turf. To me, that's not living a life. That's living a life in hypocrisy which translates to: no life!

On beef, my last taste of beef is a few days ago - khao soaw with beef. My wife and I used to have rib eye, NY strip, or porterhouse once a week or two. That's before my wife watched her Chinese channel about 2 months ago. She saw the breeder pumping water into cows that made their eyeballs popping out. Since then, she stopped eating beef. For me, I try not to think about it It's a cruel world. Survival of the fittest and the slimmest comes to mind. And, in my opinion, that's what the human world is turning into anyway with all this crap about "democrazy" that is in fact feeding the so-called the democratic ones.

Sorry about my rants and the stomach turning account of the cows!

JesseFrank, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:39, said:
Oscar2, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:26, said:

What did you expect, a French kiss? w00t.gif

• Don't worry about catching her in the deep south.cheesy.gif

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Red meat.

Yeah, everything is getting more expensive lately. There's more to come since the effects of getting Thailand 'democratic' are yet to be coming.

Just curious, is there a country which is truly democratic and things are cheap? I know I escaped from one. It's not just from the economic point but socially the society seems so segregated that every move is like intruding on somebody's turf. To me, that's not living a life. That's living a life in hypocrisy which translates to: no life!

On beef, my last taste of beef is a few days ago - khao soaw with beef. My wife and I used to have rib eye, NY strip, or porterhouse once a week or two. That's before my wife watched her Chinese channel about 2 months ago. She saw the breeder pumping water into cows that made their eyeballs popping out. Since then, she stopped eating beef. For me, I try not to think about it It's a cruel world. Survival of the fittest and the slimmest comes to mind. And, in my opinion, that's what the human world is turning into anyway with all this crap about "democrazy" that is in fact feeding the so-called the democratic ones.

Sorry about my rants and the stomach turning account of the cows!

Parts of the world where things aren't getting more expensive or getting more expensive at a snail's pace are those areas of the world that are experience severe economic problems.

Just curious, is there a country which is truly democratic and things are cheap?

While giving pass on the issue of true democracy (and the price of beef), there is nowhere left in the world that is cheap.

I saw a segment on BBC a couple of months ago about Bangladesh and how the economy has soared there. In 2013 They had a GDP of US $116 billion. Last year, for the first time, Bangladesh has overtaken India on the Prosperity Index. The country is now ranked 103rd (and rising). They even have Gucci, Rolex, Bally, and other shops there! I was in Brazil in 1995 when it was "cheap". Not any more. It is very expensive. Likewise with Chile. I lived in Eastern Europe when it was "cheap". During the time I was there, the value of flats in Prague went up 100% in value. When I first moved there it was cheaper to live there than it was in Thailand around the same time. Now it costs a fortune to spend a few days on vacation there. It is on par with well-known Western European capital cities.

I'm always amazed when we go shopping here at the prices of some items like for example limes at 10 THB per piece at Muang Mai Market. I honestly don't see how some people get by. Sure people are making a heck of a lot more money in Thailand these days but with the increases of prices of food, fuel, etc. they are only [barely] keeping up...and borrowing a lot more money for their beloved automobiles, etc. Having just returned from a few weeks at the beach I am amazed at the increases in prices of accommodation in Thailand. If you want "cheap" you get something so horrible that nobody will stay there. I was amazed to see how many Thais who to me at least, looked middle-class at best, were dropping 1500 THB per night for a place to stay by the beach - and there were a lot of them. Everywhere we went the ratio was perhaps 70% Thais, roughly 15% Chinese and Russians, and perhaps 15% other farang tourists. Things have really changed.

Edited by elektrified