Bringing in a bike in parts to thailand

ricktak

I will be moving to Thailand in about 6 months and will be shipping all belongings in a container, my question is if I take apart my Kawasaki ninja and ship it in pieces, will there be a large tax on it as it is taken apart.(I realize that I most likely will not be able to get it licensed and insured ) but this will be a spare time project to bring it back to its original state and if I do decide that Thailand does not work out for me then hopefully I would have it completed and just take it back with me. Thanks in advance for all replies (good and bad) P.S. I am married to a Thai citizen.

Shipping in parts will not help if you want to get it registered. It is extremely difficult to import used bikes. The only loophole which may be open to you is if the bike was in your wife's name and there may be a possibility that she can import it as a vehicle used while living overseas. However the process will be very complicated and drawn out. There are other members who will be able to better advise you and maybe you can get it imported but the time and cost involved probably won't be worth it. Ask your wife to check the Thai Customs website or email them about importing a vehicle used overseas. Forms will need to be submitted before you import it.

Shipping in parts will not help if you want to get it registered. It is extremely difficult to import used bikes. The only loophole which may be open to you is if the bike was in your wife's name and there may be a possibility that she can import it as a vehicle used while living overseas. However the process will be very complicated and drawn out. There are other members who will be able to better advise you and maybe you can get it imported but the time and cost involved probably won't be worth it. Ask your wife to check the Thai Customs website or email them about importing a vehicle used overseas. Forms will need to be submitted before you import it.

In this case the OP clearly stated that he understands it would be impossible to register the bike, so the usual sermon does not apply.

However, also shipping in parts would be very expensive and risky, and Thai customs would certainly smell the coffee and demand an hefty ransom at some point. Shipping the bike out would not be a problem.

In this case the OP clearly stated that he understands it would be impossible to register the bike, so the usual sermon does not apply.

However, also shipping in parts would be very expensive and risky, and Thai customs would certainly smell the coffee and demand an hefty ransom at some point. Shipping the bike out would not be a problem.

I don't think YOU read the post. Most likely does not mean impossible and how would shipping be expensive if he is bringing it in a container? Thai citizens are allowed to bring a vehicle into Thailand from overseas if it was used by them and then they have to keep it in their name for three years before selling it. However you can drive a bike without a green book provided you can show a customs receipt. If you can't you risk having the bike confiscated by the Police, so shipping in parts and then assembling a bike in Thailand is a no no.

I don't think YOU read the post. Most likely does not mean impossible and how would shipping be expensive if he is bringing it in a container? Thai citizens are allowed to bring a vehicle into Thailand from overseas if it was used by them and then they have to keep it in their name for three years before selling it. However you can drive a bike without a green book provided you can show a customs receipt. If you can't you risk having the bike confiscated by the Police, so shipping in parts and then assembling a bike in Thailand is a no no.

I am not sure you can legally drive a bike with just a customs receipt...

Every vehicle on the road must have por ror bor 3rd party insurance and not displaying it is a crime

How exactly do you get por ror bor for an unregistered bike?

My friend has a lovely illegal imported ktm he cant even ride because the fixer hasn't been able to get him a book for it

He would be very interested if there's some legal way he can use that bike without being open to huge liabilities?

Every vehicle on the road must have por ror bor 3rd party insurance and not displaying it is a crime

My friend has a lovely illegal imported ktm he cant even ride because the fixer hasn't been able to get him a book for it

He would be very interested if there's some legal way he can use that bike without being open to huge liabilities?

Whether the bike has had the import tax paid or not 1st class insurance can be purchased for the bike, this should include Por Ror Bor but not road tax, but Por Ror Bor is not necessary if he has 1st class insurance anyway. They just take the frame and engine no. and some pics. He maybe able to get a red plate from a friendly dealer, road tax is not required if you have a red plate. The fixer should surely be able to arrange a red plate. Then he won't get hassled. Job done until his green book arrives. If he can't produce a customs tax receipt and he rides without a red plate his bike could be confiscated.

I think another requirement is she has to be the owner of a said vehicle for a number of years. So transferring the ownership at this time won't help with anything.

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

So would it be easier to transfer ownership to my wife's name and then bring it in with the rest of the household items, if so what would be required to do this?

Shurup is right there is a time frame involved. You need to go to the Thai Customs website and check for yourself. In the UK you used to be able to back date vehicle ownership, don't know if you can do it now.

Whether the bike has had the import tax paid or not 1st class insurance can be purchased for the bike, this should include Por Ror Bor but not road tax, but Por Ror Bor is not necessary if he has 1st class insurance anyway. They just take the frame and engine no. and some pics. He maybe able to get a red plate from a friendly dealer, road tax is not required if you have a red plate. The fixer should surely be able to arrange a red plate. Then he won't get hassled. Job done until his green book arrives. If he can't produce a customs tax receipt and he rides without a red plate his bike could be confiscated.

The issue is this is nearly avmillion baht worth of bike and it was brought in as low value "spare parts" only 6-7k taxes paid

The fixer guy promised a green book and bkk plate for extra 80k about 2 years ago but he refund the 80k and said the whoever that used to make the books can't do it anymore so my friend has an expensive bike that can't be ridden except at night or with police friends on weekend trips

The issue is this is nearly avmillion baht worth of bike and it was brought in as low value "spare parts" only 6-7k taxes paid

The fixer guy promised a green book and bkk plate for extra 80k about 2 years ago but he refund the 80k and said the whoever that used to make the books can't do it anymore so my friend has an expensive bike that can't be ridden except at night or with police friends on weekend trips

I think you are getting PRB mixed up with Road Tax. You can't buy Road Tax without PRB. Get a red plate and 1st class insurance no Road Tax required with red plate.

I think you are getting PRB mixed up with Road Tax. You can't buy Road Tax without PRB. Get a red plate and 1st class insurance no Road Tax required with red plate.

Sorry, your are right

I thought per ror bor=road tax + 3rd party insurance

So, with a unplated bike and no book but 1st class insurance cert from aa or whoever, what happens when the police decide to confiscate it?

If insurance and tax isn't the same thing then legally are you not screwed anyway?

(excluding bribes) any cop who takes a shine to your illegal bike can just take it off you??

Or maybe im wrong and there a loophole?

Ps: i have heard insurance companies will take your money gladly for any bike but if there's a crash they will weasel out of paying because the bike is illegal for numerous reasons etc..

Sorry, your are right

I thought per ror bor=road tax + 3rd party insurance

So, with a unplated bike and no book but 1st class insurance cert from aa or whoever, what happens when the police decide to confiscate it?

If insurance and tax isn't the same thing then legally are you not screwed anyway?

(excluding bribes) any cop who takes a shine to your illegal bike can just take it off you??

Or maybe im wrong and there a loophole?

Ps: i have heard insurance companies will take your money gladly for any bike but if there's a crash they will weasel out of paying because the bike is illegal for numerous reasons etc..

If you have a customs receipt the Police cannot confiscate your bike. Obviously your friend does not have a customs receipt so he is phucked.

BTW which KTM is it?

Edited by ATF