Digital Universe to Grow 10 times by 2020: study

webfact

Digital Universe to Grow 10 times by 2020: study
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- EMC Corporation has announced results of the seventh EMC Digital Universe study that finds digital universe is doubling in size every two years.

The study found that the digital universe will multiply10-fold between 2013 and 2020 -from 4.4 trillion gigabytes to 44 trillion gigabytes, EMC announced in a press statement.

EMC this year titled its study as "The Digital Universe of Opportunities: Rich Data and the Increasing Value of the Internet of Things."

The study with research and analysis by IDC also reveals how the emergence of wireless technologies, smart products and software-defined businesses are playing a central role in catapulting the volume of the world's data.

The key finding points include:

- The amount of information in the digital universe would fill a stack of iPad Air tablets reaching 2/3 of the way to the moon (157,674 miles/253,704 kilometers). By 2020, there will be 6.6 stacks.

- Today, the average household creates enough data to fill 65 iPhones per year. In 2020, this will grow to 318 iPhones.

- Today, if a byte of data were a gallon of water, in only 10 seconds there would be enough data to fill an average house. In 2020, it will only take 2 seconds.

According to IDC the number of devices or things that can be connected to the Internet is approaching 200 billion today, with 7 per cent (or 14 billion) already connected to and communicating over the Internet.

The data from these connected devices represents 2 per cent of the world's data today. IDC now forecasts that, by 2020, the number of connected devices will grow to 30 billion - representing 10 per cent of the world's data.

The Internet of Things will also influence the massive amounts of "useful data" - data that could be analyzed - in the digital universe.

In 2013, only 22 per cent of the information in the digital universe was considered useful data, but less than 5 per cent of the useful data was actually analysed - leaving a massive amount of data lostas dark matter inthe digital universe. By 2020, more than 35 per cent of all data could be considered useful data, thanks to the growth of data from the Internet of Things, but it will be up to businesses to put this data to use.

This phenomenon will present radical new ways of interacting with customers, streamlining business cycles, and reducing operational costs, stimulating trillions of dollars in opportunity for businesses.

Conversely, it presents significant challenges as businesses look manage, store and protect the sheer volume and diversity of this data. For example, IDC estimates that 40 per cent of the data in the digital universe require some level of protection, from heightened privacy measures to fully-encrypted data. And only half of that data - just 20 per cent - is actually protected.

Other Key Findings:

- Emerging markets are producing more data: Currently, 60 per cent of data in the digital universe is attributed to mature markets such as Germany, Japan, and the United States, but by 2020, the percentage will flip, and emerging markets including Brazil, China, India, Mexico and Russia will account for the majority of data.

- Data is outpacing storage: The world's amount of available storage capacity (i.e., unused bytes) across all media types is growing slower than the digital universe. In 2013, the available storage capacity could hold just 33 per cent of the digital universe. By 2020, it will be able to store less than 15 per cent. Fortunately, most of the world's data is transient (e.g. Netflix or Hulu stream, Xbox ONE game interactions, Digital TV.) and requires no storage.

- Data touched by the cloud will double: In 2013, less than 20 per cent of the data in the digital universe was "touched" by the cloud. By 2020, that percentage will double to 40 per cent.

- Consumers create data but enterprises are responsible for it: Two-thirds of the digital universe bits are created or captured by consumers and workers, yet enterprises have liability or responsibility for 85 per cent of the digital universe.

Jeremy Burton, President of Products and Marketing, EMC Information Infrastructure, said: "As more and more businesses capitalise on the social and mobile phenomenon, the enormity and potential of the digital universe grows, and businesses are presented with greater opportunities to analyse newstreams of data and gain more value from the data they already have. Simply put - companies of all types are shape shifting into software-defined enterprises right before our eyes."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-25

• Like 1

Pandora's box seems to have been an accurate prediction of the modern day router. Once opened, it reveals all.

Our Security Services are, at the present, overwelmed by our willingness to publish every little detail of our insignificant lifes.

Hey Larry, I got laid last night....first time in years. Yes....I am in Thailand.

Edited by slipperylobster

It will be quite a task to keep track of so many options and information. We will need a computer to manage the other devices that control other devices.

It is the God Theory in action. Who programs the ultimate computer that makes all the other computers work together, and fixes the ones that malfunction.

Impossible in Theory.

And one day the whole system will crash and the world will stop...please please please bring back the days of postal mail and fixed line telephones....

Yeah..I miss those hundred dollar phone calls. I literally spent thousands of dollars on long distance calls. Now i pay pennies.

Lots of stupid pointless crap in that report. But I do believe it is growing though. My capacity has grown many times over the last 10 years and I use my digital camera a lot now, and I have a good camera so the files are bigger than they used to be etc etc... Part of the problem is that the same things are online so many times. It's all the downloading movies, software etc. is the problem. And as more new releases are booted so the mass of data will keep growing. And why do we need the same video on youtube 10 times on different accounts ? Can't they streamline things a bit so there is only 1 of anything ? This would reduce the burden massively ! If all the illegal downloads were removed the whole lot would implode into a 10th of its current size over night !