Using AIS Sim card in DTAC Aircard dongle

I currently have a DTAC Aircard dongle (text on dongle: 7.2 Mbps - ZTE MF190A) and would like to use an AIS 12 call Sim card in it.

I have 2 questions:

1. Will the AIS sim card work in the DTAC dongle? Or do I need to buy a new AIS/generic dongle?

2. Do I need special AIS software on my computer to access the AIS 3G network?
My DTAC dongle came loaded with specific DTAC software on it that I use to connect.

Apologies if this has been covered before, I could not find specific answers to both these questions after searching the forums.

In my very limited experience, some, but not all, carrier-branded air-cards can be locked to the network; this is legal to do here for air-cards, but not phones.

You also have an issue with the DTAC UI.

You could try another SIM, they only cost 50 baht, and the Windows dial-adapter (DUN) with the proper string (*99 whatever).

You could contact DTAC, if locked you can try to unlock it, and get a new/different generic UI, or use Windows.

In general I always recommend buying a non-branded air-card even though they might a bit more expensive.

If locked, you can unlock it yourself at no cost. I'm sure that you can find a free solution online. I won't post it on the open forum.

If, once unlocked, the DTAC software has nowhere for you to enter the AIS connection details, you can either install the ZTE Dashboard to the modem which will remove the DTAC software and install the common or garden ZTE Connection Manager when you plug the modem in....or you can leave it as it is and just install the JOIN Air Connection Manager to the computer.

Sure.

I changed from DTAC to AIS as the DTAC 3G connection where I live (Koh Tao) has been terribly inconsistent during the past couple of months.
No option for phone line internet at my house either right now.

My experience changing over:

I did not need to unlock the DTAC dongle - it recongised and accepted the AIS SIM straight away.
Suprisingly, I was also able to use the DTAC 3G software to connect.

The final thing I needed to make sure of was that this area had AIS 2100mhz 3G activated, as opposed to 900mhz which is what AIS previously used (and still does in cetrain parts of Thailand). The DTAC dongle will not accept a 900mhz 3G connection.
I called AIS and confirmed that this area is now using the 2100 band.

Easy smile.png

Edited by Double Dragon