Le Creuset Cookware

phormio

Teflon is out - at high temps, though quite possible to produce on the stove, a noxious chemical is produced which may cause health problems. Its all over the western press - Dupont is going to stop using the stuff on pans.

I've been researching cookware and have heard that Le Creuset pans are excellent.

This is a serious post (no kidding).

I've been surfing around and have found out that the French company produces some of its wares in Thailand. I've also found out that the major retail(Robinson's , Central , Paragon, Carrefour, Tesco/Lotus) establishments' websites are not designed to allow online shopping(searching, etc.) .

Anybody know where I might find a selection of Cookware incuding Le Creuset. Failing that some nice old fashioned cast iron would suffice.

Thanks.

:o

You might not like the prices...but somebody from the Ladies forum (Boo? SBK?) steered me to Verasu. In addition to Le Creuset, they have the lovely Wusthof Classic knives, too, which are commonly regarded as among the best in the world. I believe they do Internet ordering.

What's wrong with the local cookware? I have seen some very good quality stainless steel sets and pieces in the better stores. I'm bringing my Cuisinart cookware with me mostly because good quality cookware isn't cheap anywhere, and it can be hard to find the pieces I need for Western cooking. I'm also bringing my wok, bought for a pittance at a local Asian store. Breaking in a new wok is too much hassle to do again if I don't have to!

10 days and counting!!!!!!

Bull is correct.

While in fluffy Emporium, have a look at the "Vision" cookware, expensive but brilliant.

I just wish I had shipped my set out from the uk instead of a load of out of date computer books :o

ain't nothin' like a le crueset casserole dish to guarantee a good result...trouble is that if I bought one in BKK at a hugely inflated price it would go missin'.....I'd find it next door at mama's kitchen being used for deep frying plachon...

moral...if ye doan use it, ye lose it...either that or lock it away in a box...

Thanks for all of your input. I looked up Verasu on the web from the link provided above and discovered Paragon Dept store has it. Went there yesterday to the fourth floor, found a 10 1/2 skillet for around 72,000 baht. A bit on the pricey side, for sure. Have to say that I did not know what Le Creuset cookware was - much of it cast iron melded with ceramic, blessed with enamel coatings. Looked up Le Creuset cookware on Amazon.com - found a 12 inch skillet for around $80 (USD). Thus the prices here are apparently about twice what you could get back in farangland.

The Verasu(distributors of Le Creusset, are there others in LOS?) web site lists around 10 locations in Thailand. Wonder if non-Premium locations(get away from Ploenchit-RamaI shopping "hub") will have significantly reduced prices. Also, since Le Creuset is also produced in Thailand, thought that prices wouldn't be that much worse here than in the West. Perhaps this was a bad geuss.

Again, Thanks for your help.

:o

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any more current information than this on who, if anyone, sells le Creuset cookware in Bangkok (or even better, for that matter, Chiangmai)? Based on its absence from their website today, it seems that Verasu may no longer carry it.

Does anyone have any more current information than this on who, if anyone, sells le Creuset cookware in Bangkok (or even better, for that matter, Chiangmai)? Based on its absence from their website today, it seems that Verasu may no longer carry it.

central also carries it.

I saw some at the Mall Bangkapi.  I swear by the casserole, but for the rest of my cookware, only All-Clad will do.  I buy mine online (along with the Wusthoff-Trident Cathy mentioned.  I like the knives, but to be honest, I really like the newest style of Ginzu knives.  They are ridiculously cheap, and I actually find them easier to use than the Wusthoff-Tridents, and they don't need sharpening.)

I am going to the Fancy Foods show in San Francisco next weekend (we have a booth), and while most of the booths are food, there are usually some nice utensils to try out.

• 4 months later...

What I find quite irritating about Bangkok is often all the stores I visit carry the exact same lines of products. Today I was shopping for a Cast Iron 10" square grill pan. No shortage of the same cheap n nasty aluminium/telfon coated rubbish (which warp after a month use) products. After visiting, Central Chitlom, Central World/Zen, Robinson Asoke,Carrefour/Tesco Rama 4 and Emporium, only the latter had a Cast Iron range in addition to all the other aluminium/teflon Tefal, Meyer etc found everywhere. However the Cast Iron range at Emporium was pathetic, only 1 single display product available to choose from. Sadly this item was beat up and scratched this happened to be a Le Creuset. When it was mentioned earlier this range at Emporium was overinflated I thought I was prepared for this, however i think Hyper Inflated would be more accurate. For this trashed display piece the price tag was 8000 Baht equivalent to 231.014 USD !! The store personal were not prepared to let it go for a Baht less !!! Considering the same product can be found in the US for $110 I couldn't help but to laugh and find the closest exit. Caveat Emptor.

It may be a little late, but I went to the Asia Food Ex at Muangtontani yesterday, and they had some fairly decent stainless steel cookware there for sale to the public at reasonable prices.  I still prefer my All-Clad, but these looked OK.

The show is open to the public today (Sunday) as well.

Le Creuset is great - I still have a few hundred pounds of it in Canada - left over from my profesional catering days. One day, when my weight allowance is not taken up with foodstuffs, then I will bring one or two over here.

But here in Thailand they have a few locally used cast-iron products. For frying pans I use cast-iron roti-pans. I have a 10" and an 18". They are great but very shallow - too low for shallow frying.

Occasionally at the second hand markets I see (and buy) cast-iron woks. These are great - not the same as the standard mild-steel woks (which are great too), but much heavier and more suitable for slower cooking and deep-frying. I have a really small (9") deep wok that works perfectly on that single little center flame on those table-top gas-burners. I saw a huge one today - a 30" flat-bottomed cast-iron wok. I wanted it, but couldn't think of anything to do with it (I haven't been a caterer in years...).

None of these are enamel coated, so they do have slightly different cooking characteristics, and also they do need to be seasoned.

I have not seen any local cast-iron casseroles, so you might have to knuckle down and spend the big bucks!

• 2 years later...

I saw some at Robinsons, but at the typical inflated prices.

Thanks goodness I get 210 pounds on my flights from the US. Along with my food, I am slowly bringing in my All-Clad and Le Creuset cookware.