Naming Child At The Amphur

A few people have told us that we can't give our child a full English name, i.e. Egbert Bartholomew Smithe - we have to have a Thai first name.

Reading about this online, it appears this is up to the local Amphur. Any ideas on what the local Amphur will allow? Is it possible to stand our ground if they say no?

Any help is appreciated.

Ha Ha - I'm just joking about that name - we have no idea what we will call him yet. We would like him to have both an English first name and middle name. smile.png

I knew that.... well I had a pretty good hunch! wink.png

Anyway pleased Poorsucker has given you an answer that works! thumbsup.gif

Several years ago an over zealous employee tried implementing this and indeed succeeded for several months until a parent rang the embassy from within the Amphur and passed her the phone:)

HTH

Edited by evadgib

My Thai born daughter has a very English first name and a Thai middle name, this wasn't a problem to register but having a middle name has been nothing but trouble ever since, my wife has the habit of giving first, middle and surname to all who require it, hospital, government departments etc, the result in all cases has been that they write down the first and middle names only, now when we go to the hospital or government departments and give her first and last name they are unable to find any record of her, then we just tell them first and middle name and up she pops on their computers, have tried to have various departments rectify this but no can do.

My Children have European First Names, Chinese Middle Names and my European Last Name.

The only difficulty was getting the Amphur to allow middle names. They finally decided to follow the law of my country and gave them the middle names.

Their Nick Names are also European.