BMA: No more dummy surveillance cameras in Bangkok - 100.000 Baht reward if...

webfact

He also assured that no more fake or dummy camera will be on the street once the project is fully completed, with a 100,000 baht award to be offered if anyone found a fake camera still in function.

Okay, how much for finding dummies in the control rooms?

I don't think that Thais are sufficiently sophisticated to make surveillance cameras an effective tool against crime. In the UK, for example, the existence of cameras clearly deters crime, because criminals have got fed up at being caught and returned to prison having been 'caught on camera'

In Thailand I cannot imagine the criminal thought processes extending to the consideration that surveillance cameras might be capturing their criminality.

A rogue Thai elephant was breaking into buildings in Bangkok and looting the contents

The city police said that they had caught the elephant on camera but couldn't properly identify it because it was wearing a mask

In Khorat cameras captured the moment that 6 men were murdered behind the library

The police are still trying to come to terms that there is actually a library in Khorat

The Pattaya police are examining camera footage to see who stole all their station toilet seats, but in a press briefing the station commander admitted that 'they still had nothing to go on'

it is known, that the "real" cameras in the south of thailand (in the area with a threat of terrorism) were a fake (substandard) ones.

the affair came to light, when the company responsible for installing those cameras started to destroy them (by burning) in an organised way, as to cover up their scam.

interesting to know on what scale the same procedure is done in bkk.

I have seen cameras in bkk in completely useless places, pointing at unused footpaths, fields, walls, so the whole system lacks credibility

I remember that story well, as it was a classic look at how Thailand operates.

When the company got caught with its pants down by using phony cameras,

instead of profusely apologizing, they burned up the phony cameras and blamed

the fires on the other bidder who lost the bid. Sometimes I swear you could

not make this stuff up...... :-) No wonder farangs have so much trouble

understanding Thainess....

maybe the Farang has trouble understanding, period.

If that’s the case, why has the company managing directors not been charged with pre-meditated murder and if an official received a kick-back was involved so must he. If that happened in China the death sentence would be applied for seriously endangering the lives of its citizens.

You believe... what? That China no longer has corruption because it gives the occasional death sentence for it?

We're a little luckier in Bangkok. We have a Democrat Party government and machine in office. There is no danger of corruption from the party of The Kamnan and The Oxonian. No need for death penalties here, and if a Democrat governor is somehow accidentally named in a corruption case, he will be has been acquitted - by reputation, no evidence needed in any such ridiculous case..

Eat your heart out, China!

Edited by wandasloan

it is known, that the "real" cameras in the south of thailand (in the area with a threat of terrorism) were a fake (substandard) ones.

the affair came to light, when the company responsible for installing those cameras started to destroy them (by burning) in an organised way, as to cover up their scam.

interesting to know on what scale the same procedure is done in bkk.

I have seen cameras in bkk in completely useless places, pointing at unused footpaths, fields, walls, so the whole system lacks credibility

If that’s the case, why has the company managing directors not been charged with pre-meditated murder and if an official received a kick-back was involved so must he. If that happened in China the death sentence would be applied for seriously endangering the lives of its citizens.

are "pre-meditated" or "murder" the correct words to use in this situation ?

Cameras don't really stop crime they record them. I can't imagine a miniature policeman in every camera.

That's not true. It's has been statistically shown that urban areas which have CCTV cameras installed have a substantial drop in crime. Yes, there is still some crime, but a lot less than before the cameras were installed.

didn't the same survey show that the level of certain crimes decreased in CCTV monitored areas, but areas not monitored showed increases in crime ? Maybe a different survey. But, as with all "surveys", probably depends exactly what is being measured.