Planting potatoes in Chiang Mai

connda

pnat mango, banana, potato is cheap, who wants to plant that

At most times throughout the year Potatoes are more expensive

than Bananas or Mangoes, and most importantly you can keep

Potatoes a lot longer than the soft fruit.

regards Worgeordie

If you are going to 'keep' potatos you best have a cool dry place to do it. Since Thailand is not that, it will have to be artificial.

I understand that most of the potatoes that are grown north of Chiang Mai are grown under contract for the processor which I think is Frito Lay but there mat be others. They have representatives who arrange the contract and the seed is provided by the processor and they specify the growing conditions and check during the growing season.. The company is very particular about the size and condition and if you are in the area you can buy the rejects locally after sorting at a very low price.

Sorry to the OP for encouraging the thread to get a bit, err, derailed by language semantics- initially, mine was a genuine request for a source of quality 'chip' type potatoes ( the ones that you fry at home)

End of discussion.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I like to make mashed and baked potatoes and I find that the varieties you find here are not well suited for either. When you try to make the potatoes, they are very dense and pasty. Back in the US I used Russet or Yukon Gold which were very light and fluffy.

I've always assumed that only certain varieties would grow here in Thailand hence the lack of varieties like Russets.

In Mae Faek there is (or there was, anyway) a potato chip factory. I thought their potato chips were much crispier than any I bought in the big stores in Chiang Mai.

What sort do you mean--frozen Deep fat fryer ones?

I don't know anything about frozen deep fat fryers... They were potato chips in plastic bags and looked like you would buy in local markets. Whatever they were, I thought they tasted better than the name brands in Lotus, Big C, etc.

those are a different variety of potato. they are in the same family as potatoes but they call them something else. we get them too. they are baked, not fried, and are much healthier (and less fattening) than the chips available in Lotus, Big C, etc. they sell them at most Thai markets. there is one city in central Thailand were those vegetables are grown that has an OTOP store for them and they are considered the best. i forget exactly where it was because i was asleep in the car while the wife was driving but she bought about 20 bags as gifts and they were fantastic! people queue up there to buy them. the only thing is that since there are no preservatives they have to be eaten within a few days or they go stale.

In Mae Faek there is (or there was, anyway) a potato chip factory. I thought their potato chips were much crispier than any I bought in the big stores in Chiang Mai.

What sort do you mean--frozen Deep fat fryer ones?

I don't know anything about frozen deep fat fryers... They were potato chips in plastic bags and looked like you would buy in local markets. Whatever they were, I thought they tasted better than the name brands in Lotus, Big C, etc.

those are a different variety of potato. they are in the same family as potatoes but they call them something else. we get them too. they are baked, not fried, and are much healthier (and less fattening) than the chips available in Lotus, Big C, etc. they sell them at most Thai markets. there is one city in central Thailand were those vegetables are grown that has an OTOP store for them and they are considered the best. i forget exactly where it was because i was asleep in the car while the wife was driving but she bought about 20 bags as gifts and they were fantastic! people queue up there to buy them. the only thing is that since there are no preservatives they have to be eaten within a few days or they go stale.

The ones I am referring to are POTATO chips (American name I guess) made from potatoes. They had different flavors also.

Edited by hml367