Central Pattaya Rd blocked this weekend, May 4, no police in sight

marmaduke

Can assume the flow of traffic to Beach Rd was lessened this way. Can't understand the blocking of traffic going the opposite way though.

(away from Beach rd. going towards dark side, the right turn on Sukhumvit was blocked forcing so many more people to u-turn at Soi Country Club.)

By the way there were no police in sight in these areas. They could have helped enormously.

Are the Pattaya police so inept after being here, I assume their entire lives . That a 3 year resident like myself can see their ineptness.

I did see on Sunday about 8 or 9 police hanging out on Naklua rd about 6PM far far away from the mess. They were doing nothing.

Wait, maybe they are smarter than we think.

By the way, this weekend was just one example. I am sure many of you can elaborate on that.

• Like 2

It's SOP for any 5-day weekends or local holidays. The cops set up the barriers before 8 AM and go back to the station... or home. Let the punters sort themselves out. If you have been here for three years, you know it aint gonna get any better and you should have your alternatives sorted out by now. Here are mine.

i) Do the essential Pattaya shopping ANY morning Mon-Fri between 9 AM and noon. Relax and have lunch and drinks before escaping the late afternoon rush.

ii) If needs must, suss out alternatives to get ACROSS Sukhumvit as quickly as possible; from Nongplalai, I come in through water works road and south to u-turn into Soi Potisan or north into Naklua if it's really messy. Anything from Nua to the south... forget it.

iii) There's all sorts of roads that will get you from Sukhumvit to Sai Sahm (Third Road) and after that, use any soi to get to either Villa supermarket or Royal Garden for covered parking.

iv) Avoid Big-C Extra (total lack of parking) and Central Festival (plenty of parking but ages to get anywhere near it).

v) Use motocy taxi guys for zipping about. Forget the baht buses.

Of course, if you already live on any of the Nern Plub Wan, Khao Noi and Khaotalo ghettos, you are royally buggered and may as well head east into the Darkside. I hear Mobi has a nice new place out lakeside.

yes central rd. was at a stand still from friday going from 2nd rd to Suk. If you know the side soi's it was not a problem as the bangkok people don't. If you drive a car on holiday weekends it is essential to learn the alternate routes, police cannot do much with that amount of traffic and no fly-overs yet.

I saw one police man out in the street taking photos of the backed up traffic yesterday at the 2nd rd/ central intersection for some reason.