And you call THAT a welder................

thequietman

Hi Guys,

Don't see a DIY section on here so I hope it's OK to post this on here.

Step son is studying to be an engineer and needs to do a lot of welding for his degree. I would like to get him his own welder rather than having to beg, borrow or steal from someone else.

Any recommendations please on fair priced welders in Thailand that don't break the moment you switch them on.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards. wai.gif

MIG, TIG, flux coated wire or stick, oxy-acetylene, -------- What kind of welder does he need for this?

When I took classes in welding I had to become proficient with oxy-acetylene because it has the heat for bending, shrinking and general fabrication. It also has a cutting torch.

Some welders require you to hold a consumable rod in one hand and apply heat and somethimes also inert gas with the other. Others are wire fed and it's all in one hand whether using gas or flux coating.

In addition to the brands mentioned above, Lincoln is good. They make a really nice small MIG welder that with a gas bottle shouldn't cost more than 30,000 baht. (2/3 of that in the US so I'm guessing.) He will also need steel to practice on and gas and wire as he uses it.

The little mig welders you can buy these days are good. Some of them you can even run without gas.

The downside is more expensive and more maintenance .

An Arc welder would be a cheaper option and great to start out on also.

The little mig welders you can buy these days are good. Some of them you can even run without gas.

The downside is more expensive and more maintenance .

An Arc welder would be a cheaper option and great to start out on also.

I believe that all mig welders can be run without gas but you need buy flux cored wire for them.

I agree it's great to learn on an arc "stick" welder, and they are still used in construction. It all depends on what he has to learn for school.

With an arc welder you'd want one that's DC. Some will do AC or DC, but the better ones can at least do DC which is smoother because of the constant power. The cheapest ones, even in good brands, are just AC.

I'd probably start someone with 6013 rod and when he was comfortable with that, switch to 6011 for stronger welds with deeper penetration.

• Like 1

You say he has to do a lot of welding but I fail to see how without the correct training and guidance he is likely to learn anything,after all what's he going to be doing welding small bits of metal together in the garage.

I can't imagine he's going to be doing any 6G butts.

Like everything there is welding and welders,anyone can go and buy a cheep welding set and blob bits together.

Understanding what welding processes and weld procedures he needs to be learning about will determine what machine is required,stick or arc welding which is used mostly here in construction of homes is by far the most versatile process,but welding roof trusses to re bar is hardly welding.

As mentioned real welding machines are manufactured by companies like Miller,Lincoln,Esab,Kempi,but will cost you a tidy sum.

Edited by stoneyboy

You say he has to do a lot of welding but I fail to see how without the correct training and guidance he is likely to learn anything,after all what's he going to be doing welding small bits of metal together in the garage.

Like everything there is welding and welders,anyone can go and buy a cheep welding set and blob bits together.

Understanding what welding processes and weld procedures he needs to be learning about will determine what machine is required,stick or arc welding which is used mostly here in construction of homes is by far the most versatile process,but welding roof trusses to re bar is hardly welding.

As mentioned real welding machines are manufactured by companies like Miller,Lincoln,Esab,Kempi,but will cost you a tidy sum.

The OP says he is studying it for his degree.

Yes and he needs to do a lot of welding,care to elaborate Mr Holmes.

is hands on mastering welding a part of a degree these days ? Maybe enroll him in a boiler making course or something so that he learns under the guidance of someone with qualifications.

Edited by Spoonman

As others have said it depends what he is learning, but as it's a degree I guess it's every type like I studied on my Engineering degree.

The good news is you're are at the right time as welders prices have dropped with loads of new competition on the Thai market and lots of sales due to the bad economy.

When I first came out here about 10 years ago I bought a very cheap 4500 baht ARC welder. It's still going fine, except having to replace the electrode holder and earth wire which is standard fare. So you can get him a cheap one and it could last. Arc welders are so cheap as they are the simplest made and.... very easy to fix.

I also have a pro-weld TIG out here and it is still going strong after about 5 years.

Yesterday I bought a MIG (gas and gasless)/Tig/ARC welder all in one at hardware house on the motorway at Sri Racha/Laemg Chabang for 21000 in the sale reduced a few thousand baht in the sale. Only other MIGs I have seen start at around 38,000 B over here, where as in the UK they start at a third /quarter of that.

That was I-weld brand which is the same company as pro-weld, this I-weld has a 2 year guarantee. A good tool shop will repair them after the guarantee runs out cheaply anyway (if he cant himself) . Hopefully it's like Makita/Maktec , the same brand, the same parts, just one 'brand' sold at a higher price.

For gas welding you can buy the pipes and regulator cheaply in global house etc type places.

Remember for everything except ARC or gasless you will need 1 or 2 gas bottles. Deposit for the large bottle/tank is about 5000 baht or it was 5 years ago and about 600-900 depending on shop for the gas itself.

If you can find the all in one it will be your best bet money wise. I think I've seen this in Thai watsaduu as well. You could try a local good tool shop for a discount. My usual one usually gives me one without asking as I have bought so much from there and first time said the tool(compressor) was cheaper in homeprow00t.gif in the sale.

Whatever he protests make sure he has decent protection , flip shield, gloves and clothing. For ARC welding I use thick army overalls, it's damn hot, but very worth it. I did try Thai style when I first came here until welding splatter went all the way through my flesh before getting infected. The hospital bills were more than the welder. rolleyes.gif

You've lost me.

You've lost me.

Admittedly I don't have a degree,but is practical welding necessary to become an engineer these days,I would have thought it mostly class room and book work,what job will said degree harbour ? welding engineer,one who writes the weld procedures and such I'm just a little confused by the necessity of buying a welding machine to obtain a degree.

Most Welding Engineering curriculum's are built on a solid general engineering, calculus-based, foundation that includes course work in mathematics, physical metallurgy, physics, chemistry, engineering mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids and other core engineering requirements.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

You've lost me.

Admittedly I don't have a degree,but is practical welding necessary to become an engineer these days,I would have thought it mostly class room and book work,what job will said degree harbour ? welding engineer,one who writes the weld procedures and such I'm just a little confused by the necessity of buying a welding machine to obtain a degree.

Most Welding Engineering curriculum's are built on a solid general engineering, calculus-based, foundation that includes course work in mathematics, physical metallurgy, physics, chemistry, engineering mechanics, thermodynamics, fluids and other core engineering requirements.

Correct from a UK point of view from many universities, but we don't know if he is doing hands on welding in his degree or doing it to supplement his knowledge personally or for fun or an extra skill. Maybe TQM just wants to help him understand it.

We studied welding at Uni in the UK plenty of theory , we did machining hands on and practical demonstrations in welding.

Maybe he studied it at college before going to university.

From my experience of Thai friends doing Engineering masters in the UK they were basically a year behind UK students, that includes at least one Chula graduate, but had better understanding of the practical side of engineering than many British students. Maybe they do more hands on than theory.

If he is going for a degree. They will cover arc acetelyn mig tig & maybe others. If you do get him a mig welder use the gas setup. More in expense in the beggining but costs far less for the wire . You sure cant use a gasless with the wrong wire. I had a buddy torch up the interior on his trike cause I refused to use the wrong wire on the miller setup. Blasphemy. Zero penetration & total maggot welds. I like miller on the wirefeeds & lincoln arc welders. Acetalyn I don't really think much of a difference.They either work or they don't. These are usually made in America for Miller & Lincoln & cost to high hell out here. If he intends on working on auto's or bikes he for sure will need a mig welder. My favorite for sure. I can get as good of penetration out of a mig anyday as an arc welder. And it looks a lot prettier. Definitely get a DC welder for the arc. if not AC-DC DC is the best as stated in other posts. If he does vehicle repairs a spot welder is needed for putting on new quarter panels & such- but no need to buy unless he goes into vehicle repair.

My courses in the U.S. we even had to pass underwater welding. I went to school for a couple years & the qualifications you can be sure are a lot harsher to pass tough standards. I settled in Auto truck train & frame fabrication for many years & did a stint working on the Golden Gate bridge in San Fransisco. Make sure he has a laser helm settup. They are a godsend when you are arc welding & cheap as dirt. NO sunglasses! And try to talk him out of sandals. I used to weld occassionally in flops & you always seem to get burned by falling slag.He probably is just going to need an arc welder to purchace. The acetalyn will get him good on making tight beads & good penetration.

Tell him good luck for me . A good profession he can learn to be a real craftsman & not a typical 2 bit welder that used to make somtam.