Earthquake in CM

AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it created a 200mm tusnamai in my swimming pool at mai rim stronger than one yrs ago cheers

Quite amazing how the vibrations can vary. We had lots of shaking in Mae Taeng yesterday but not a ripple in the pond. Two years ago when the Malaysian earthquake hit, we had 15 cm waves going back and forth.

• Like 1

Every 2 houres an after shock so far. The last one was 6.05 h. Don't know if this is usual but it takes quite a long time in my opinion.

Yes it is very usual after a large quake & 6. is large by any measure

Largest I have ever been in was a 6.7 in 1983 & was 1 mile from epicenter ( Not Thailand )

The worst part of that one was the duration was 50+ seconds long

Home I was in moved back 4 feet & sunk 3' in sections

After shocks will be their worse near the epicenter so we are fairly lucky to be in Chiang Mai a good distance from that.

But yes after shocks some severe are quite normal after a big quake

Mania,

was that in Hawaii?

I was in Hilo when a 6.7 hit in November, 1983, and our house was on the fault line. Of course not a mile from the epicenter! I wasn't afraid of earthquakes before that one... now I am!

• Like 1

Every 2 houres an after shock so far. The last one was 6.05 h. Don't know if this is usual but it takes quite a long time in my opinion.

Largest I have ever been in was a 6.7 in 1983 & was 1 mile from epicenter ( Not Thailand )

After shocks will be their worse near the epicenter so we are fairly lucky to be in Chiang Mai a good distance from that.

I think he meant 6.05 hours, not magnitude.

I find it sad that one regular poster says we are all babies.We were fairly high up in a condo and it was shaking badly.Yes we were scared because we do not know if it will stop now or get much worse.Yes it was only 5.8 but it could have been much more than that,at the time we did not know .I hope everybody is safe and there are no injuries.

You were very right to be concerned as when earthquakes start there is no set time for them to last and being in a high rise building is the worst possible place to be,just never use the lift when leaving !. Forgive our "regular" poster, with nearly 12,000 posts, he has a daily quota to fill biggrin.png We are in fact getting mild aftershocks this morning,first at 8am,expecting more.

• Like 2

Mania,

was that in Hawaii?

I was in Hilo when a 6.7 hit in November, 1983, and our house was on the fault line. Of course not a mile from the epicenter! I wasn't afraid of earthquakes before that one... now I am!

Yes Nov 16th 6:03am 1983 etched in my memory ;)

Now you too having lived thru that know the power of such events

I think he meant 6.05 hours, not magnitude.

Yes but what I meant was following an earthquake of magnitude over 6 like what happened yesterday it is

not uncommon to have some decent sized after shocks for days/weeks after

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

In Pa Daet yesterday on the second floor it was definitely jerking around unlike a year or two ago when it was more of a swaying sensation. Knocked one picture off a wall and a few things on shelves were knocked down. Since then we can barely feel aftershocks on the second floor but not on the first floor.

Coincidentally we had two trees knocked down during the night. I know we had some heavy rain but did we have high winds too?

Grin

I find it sad that one regular poster says we are all babies.We were fairly high up in a condo and it was shaking badly.Yes we were scared because we do not know if it will stop now or get much worse.Yes it was only 5.8 but it could have been much more than that,at the time we did not know .I hope everybody is safe and there are no injuries.

You were very right to be concerned as when earthquakes start there is no set time for them to last and being in a high rise building is the worst possible place to be,just never use the lift when leaving !. Forgive our "regular" poster, with nearly 12,000 posts, he has a daily quota to fill biggrin.png We are in fact getting mild aftershocks this morning,first at 8am,expecting more.

Yes what wrecked us in 1983 was the duration of that large quake which was over 50 seconds

if you can imagine that.

Very exciting even in a house.

We moved multiple times during that quake to what we thought was the safest place in the house to be.

After about 30 seconds we decided to flee the home.

Opened the door & the porch was gone

Ran to back door & the porch was folded up against the opening prohibiting escape

At that point it slowed & we jumped the 4' down the porch-less side

We then realized the home had moved dragging one porch under & folding the other up against the home

I cannot imagine being in a tall building riding a quake of that size

Yes, new one.

5 earthquakes in map area

1. 5.0 9km WSW of Mae Suai, Thailand 2014-05-06 07:58:21 UTC+07:00 10.0 km
  2. 4.9 8km NE of Mae Suai, Thailand 2014-05-06 07:50:16 UTC+07:00 10.0 km
  3. 4.4 6km WSW of Mae Lao, Thailand 2014-05-06 04:17:04 UTC+07:00 13.1 km
  4. 4.4 12km S of Mae Lao, Thailand 2014-05-05 20:34:29 UTC+07:00 10.0 km
  5. 6.0 9km S of Mae Lao, Thailand 2014-05-05 18:08:43 UTC+07:00 7.4 km
  • Like 1

No expert on earthquakes, but was the one just before 8am a new earth quake in Mae Suai rather than aftershocks from yesterdays?

Yes I am no expert either but think many aftershocks are not usual from the same center

For some reason a big quake seems to trigger like swarms of other smaller ones after

in the surrounding area even if not the same epicenters

I guess plates in the earth have moved during the initial big one then others occur as they re-settle?

Not sure but that would be my uneducated guess smile.png

Edited by mania