Earthquake in CM

AnotherOneAmerican

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember well the 2001 "Nisqually Earthquake" in Seattle. Our warehouse was in the industrial area, and after we cleared the building, watched and felt the ground under our feet ripple like small waves. Last night we were on the fifth floor of our building in CM and it shook heavily for what seemed like thirty seconds or so. I figure it's better to be all the way upstairs than to get trapped below. But I could be wrong. Aftershocks this morning, as others have noted, but nothing as the day went on, except for an hour of loud thunder, followed by a good rain. What a wonderful place this is.

The higher you are the worse it is - it was a nasty experience on the twelfth but this morning I spoke to folks who live above the twentieth, one spent the evening in the bathtub!

I remember when I was around 10 yrs old watching old Jerry Lewis movies. Black and white but enjoyed them.

I remember when I was around 10 yrs old watching old Jerry Lewis movies. Black and white but enjoyed them.

I think that you mean the comedian, not the singer.

jerry_lewis.jpg

Not the same person? Oh well never heard of the singer then, maybe to young.

Thanks to those posters, who remember to mention roughly whereabouts they are, when reporting aftershocks ! thumbsup.gif

I was in the kitchen laugh.png

Lucky not to be on-the-loo ... a narrow escape ! tongue.png

May have saved a cleanup if he had beensmile.png

Thanks to those posters, who remember to mention roughly whereabouts they are, when reporting aftershocks ! thumbsup.gif

I was in the kitchen laugh.png

Lucky not to be on-the-loo ... a narrow escape ! tongue.png

May have saved a cleanup if he had beensmile.png

I second that motion ! whistling.gif

I grew up in Northern Cal and the big ones I missed but felt were Loma Prieta and Northridge. I was in San Jose for Northridge sleeping, not sure I felt it at all. In 1989 I was in Davis. long, low rumbling, obvious it was a distant big one.

Then in 2011 I experienced the Great East Japan earthquake at a checkin line at Narita. That was a MINDSCRAMBLER!

Photos of this event showing roads and public buildings or comparisons to California losses regarding property only (not lives and injuries) tend to leave out that many hearts are broken by losses to homes and businesses that are certainly uninsured.

This was obviously a low level shift that did 'little' damage, but hurt it did, including even our startled or fearful locals swinging about in the air on upper floors, but more importantly yet those with little to lose, losing it. Characterizing these as minor events reminds me of one of the U.S. PeItigon's favorite terms - collateral damage.

In short, lots of ordinary northern folk lost a lot from their lives.

Edited by CMX

I grew up in Northern Cal and the big ones I missed but felt were Loma Prieta and Northridge. I was in San Jose for Northridge sleeping, not sure I felt it at all. In 1989 I was in Davis. long, low rumbling, obvious it was a distant big one.

Then in 2011 I experienced the Great East Japan earthquake at a checkin line at Narita. That was a MINDSCRAMBLER!

What do they call you, Lucky?

Remind me not to hang around with you. No offence.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I should clarify this comment - there are three minor and one larger sections of damage on the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai Highway (118) - the largest however is on Highway 120 between Wang Nuea and Phayao (near the rest area called Dinasaur Park).

Anyone know where the road got badly damaged here - http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2014_19/420386/140505-thailand-earthquake-jsw-1031a_b582fed78a85df59a511dd56d5174556.jpg

Is it the route to Mae Sae?

Regards

No - it's a secondary highway 120 between Wang Nuea and Phayao.

The main highway (118) is un-damaged.

I should clarify this comment - there are three minor and one larger sections of damage on the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai Highway (118) - the largest however is on Highway 120 between Wang Nuea and Phayao (near the rest area called Dinasaur Park).

Are you sure? A colleague who I'd passed your earlier information to came across 120 this morning. Said there was no earthquake damage, only some construction near that viewpoint that is nothing to do with the earthquake.

Also, the reports in the media accompanying the pictures of major damage say Phan district which is at least 50 clicks north and the Wang Neau part of the road is actually in Lampang province.

Last week there were very heavy thunderstorms here (Thaton) with huge rain fall in short time. It causes landslides and destroyed the water basin where the village supply water from. No one has any idea how long the restoration will take. Lucky us we have a well and a watertank but because of the earthquake, something must have happend in the watertank and blocked the delivery pipe. We have also a river pump for spraying the garden but did not use it for long time, It doesn't work. We rang some workers, still nothing working, maybe tomorrow. But we are still happy.

Edited by Joop50