3BB blocking ports

manarak

I am a new 3BB 13/1 package customer and have been trying to setup some services using DDNS (dlinkddns.com) and port forwarding.

The IP update from my router to dlinkddns.com seems to be blocked, the IP in dlinkddns doesn't get updated.

Using my public IP, I then tried to setup port forwarding.

While I am able to get onto my router from the WAN using port 80, any other port forward I tried failed.

Running nmap, I found out that all incoming WAN ports are blocked by 3BB except the following:

21/tcp filtered ftp
22/tcp filtered ssh
23/tcp open telnet Broadcom BCM96328 ADSL router telnetd
80/tcp open http micro_httpd
139/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
445/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)

After requesting support, a 3BB technician came today, looked at what I showed him, talked a couple of times on the phone and then mumbled something about having to talk to the manager before leaving...

I guess I will never hear anything about it again.

What is your experience with 3BB blocking ports?

I guess, your router is blocking the ports, not 3BB. whistling.gif

Looks more like a configuration problem with your router?

The technician probably didn't understand what you wanted?

Did you really run nmap from an external device, with a different public IP, outside of your own network?

PS: All of you ports should be closed (except a few standard ports like 80, 443, 21)

Edited by Turkleton

manarak for sure its your router. I use 3BB and have no problems. Are you forwarding the port on your router to the device that you want to access. It really depends upon the kit you have. Have you tried TeamViewer, that allows free access to a number of devices, unless you are using a Business version of Windows.

not sure about blocking but triple B speeds have been all over the boards this week;

Have called in 3 times

from download lows of 3.25 Mbps to highs of 11.19 ( using speedtest.net)

I am on the 10 Mbps package.

today had 10.57 at 8:30

to 3,76 at 9:10

now 11.10

I guess, your router is blocking the ports, not 3BB.

Agreed. Believe this is evidence that your "firewall" is enabled , and working, on your modem/router.

For what it's worth, I third the motion. Either that or the ISP is picking on the OP personally, that's about the only other possibility. Time to go back to the starting line on router setup.

Easy fix. Call 3BB and ask them to remove NAT. Tell them you wish to use an IP camera and you cannot access it from the web because their NAT is preventing it. Essentially you have double NAT which means the external ISP address cannot be routed to your modem.

Easy fix. Call 3BB and ask them to remove NAT. Tell them you wish to use an IP camera and you cannot access it from the web because their NAT is preventing it. Essentially you have double NAT which means the external ISP address cannot be routed to your modem.

No 3BB NAT in my connection, it's a dedicated IP. Apparently 3BB automatically blocked my 80 port after their system detected I was running multiple subdomains in my http server (a few home automation servers). Https still works, they can't see what is being served. Minor annoyance.

I've been running the same setup for years, got blocked this or last week. No configuration changes on my side.

So is my IP. I only discovered this crazy system by chance from a 3BB technician. I'm not sure how they do it but it sucks when ports drop off due to systems automation. Yes HTTPS should work but it does not resolve the traversal process.post-207984-13996073017023_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

wandasloan, on 09 May 2014 - 10:12, said:wandasloan, on 09 May 2014 - 10:12, said:
lomatopo, on 08 May 2014 - 17:21, said:lomatopo, on 08 May 2014 - 17:21, said:
QuoteQuoteI guess, your router is blocking the ports, not 3BB.

Agreed. Believe this is evidence that your "firewall" is enabled , and working, on your modem/router.

For what it's worth, I third the motion. Either that or the ISP is picking on the OP personally, that's about the only other possibility. Time to go back to the starting line on router setup.

The only way the ISP can block ports is if they have access to you modem, so either you have , or they have, given them remote access rights..... check you modem settings.

Edited by Rorri

The only way the ISP can block ports is if they have access to you modem and to do that they must be sneaking into the Op's house without him knowing it..

Well 3BB did supply the modem - and it could have some sort of default configuration/3BB specific firmware which the tech may have been required to re-set / this appears to be a new installation, and they can probably remotely access it and manipulate it, but agree that they are not doing this.

The only way the ISP can block ports is if they have access to you modem, so either you have , or they have, given them remote access rights..... check you modem settings.

Correct. According to the OP the ISP had *physical* control of his modem on at least two occasions, plus they had physical access to his entire setup at least once. That's by his own report. Whatever remote access rights the ISP gained would be their bonus.

Look. To be clear: I am including this possibility because it is a tiny, infinitesimal possibility. The likelihood that the nice folks at 3BB are behind this is non-zero but so close to zero as to be ignoreable.

It is 99% likely to be router settings and 99.9999999% sure that said router settings are the OP's responsibility. But technically, it is not 100%.

3BB can block ports, shape bandwidth and probably trace traffic (ports, IP's) on subscriber basis. I can see the effect of their throttling my connections in the bandwidthd I have running. They've likely to increase the throttling in the future, as their infra beyond the ADSL lines isn't being upgraded at the same pace as consumer lines and more and more subscribers have to share the same line. This is being done somewhere within the 3BB routers.

The vuze table bofhman posted seems to confirm this.

3BB can block ports, shape bandwidth and probably trace traffic (ports, IP's) on subscriber basis. I can see the effect of their throttling my connections in the bandwidthd I have running. They've likely to increase the throttling in the future, as their infra beyond the ADSL lines isn't being upgraded at the same pace as consumer lines and more and more subscribers have to share the same line. This is being done somewhere within the 3BB routers.

The vuze table bofhman posted seems to confirm this.

Yes, many people have already said that. Quite a few people in fact, and all of them think 3BB (and other Thai ISPs) do not block ports in cases such as the OP describes.

So to move the conversation along: Since your post and the graphic give no indication of port-blocking, can you say, in your opinion, does 3BB block ports? And if "yes" then why do you think this? (And why not add, do you think other ISPs block ports?)

It is 3bb that blocks the ports. I have literally spent weeks finding ways around it. I finally succeeded using SocketCap and a Tunnel Client.That worked for several hours before they blocked that also. If you find a way around this, i would be very interested to know.

555 folks, I'm no beginner!

I used another connection to do the tests, I have access to a neighbor's WIFI.

But here is an amazing update:

the tech rang back and asked me to "check now", and... it works now, including the ddns update!

• 2 weeks later...

update:

I'm now abroad and cannot access my router or the forwarded ports.

nmap tells me the ports are filtered.

:-(

so they got another firewall filtering access from abroad.

Edited by manarak

• 8 months later...

3BB as most of around the world isp's nowdays fw all ports, except 21 as far as I can see. But is not a fixed rule, you can ask your port open, it will stay until next roaster swap :) Further any server on user side will consume bandwidth in the opposite direction, normally upload is capped to 1/10 of download bw (adsl). Try to upload on wireless or G3/4 to see the difference. The answer is a professional connection or a server hosting/housing.

• 7 months later...

I've been with 3BB for a couple of years, and use several high-number ports to access my server when I'm away. Recently these stopped working.

My 3BB router is set up as a modem; all control including logon and routing is from a separate box.

I checked whether 3BB is blocking ports by connecting a PC directly to the modem and logging onto 3BB with the PC's firewall off. With the internet connected I tested standard ranges of ports plus my own ports from www.grc.com ShieldsUp. You can read more about this on their site.

All are returning 'stealth' indicating that none of the ports are letting traffic through.

Since it isn't my pc, it's 3BB.