Need To Buy A Car!

Kimera

Private ads can be found here:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/classifieds/p...tors_ref_18.asp

Dealers? Drive down from Thalang towards Phuket Town and there are plenty of "dealers" on each side of Thepkasatri Road. IMO 2nd hand cars in Phuket are massively overpriced, especially when buying from a dealer here. Better to pick something up in Bangkok or elsewhere.

Private ads can be found here:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/classifieds/p...tors_ref_18.asp

Dealers? Drive down from Thalang towards Phuket Town and there are plenty of "dealers" on each side of Thepkasatri Road. IMO 2nd hand cars in Phuket are massively overpriced, especially when buying from a dealer here. Better to pick something up in Bangkok or elsewhere.

Thanks for info. are new car prices inflated in Phuket of set the same as the rest of Thailand

IMO 2nd hand car prices are hugely inflated in Thailand in general.

However, if you are buying from a dealer, you could probably save about 20% by buying in Bangkok compared to buying in Phuket.

prices are higher in Phuket because there is less supply, less competition for the dealers, and also because Phuket is one of the most affluent provinces outside of Bangkok.

Also, if i had to buy a used car, i wouldn't buy it from a dealer. The markup is crazy. Buy it from a private seller. And whatever you do, make sure you get the car inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at before you buy.

IMO 2nd hand car prices are hugely inflated in Thailand in general.

However, if you are buying from a dealer, you could probably save about 20% by buying in Bangkok compared to buying in Phuket.

prices are higher in Phuket because there is less supply, less competition for the dealers, and also because Phuket is one of the most affluent provinces outside of Bangkok.

Also, if i had to buy a used car, i wouldn't buy it from a dealer. The markup is crazy. Buy it from a private seller. And whatever you do, make sure you get the car inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at before you buy.

Thanks for your reply I've had chance to check it out, you are correct my friend, thanks again for the info.... are you the only one out there?? 200 hits and your the only reply, thanks again..

suremotors does have the best reputation in Phuket, which is mainly due to the fact that they honour their short warranty period (whereas most others don't), but their prices are even crazier than the other dealers.

However, I totally agree with what baabaa said about buying new. I spent ages looking all over Phuket for a good deal on a 2nd hand car and in the end decided to buy new. Couldn't bring myself to spend 350,000 on a 6-7 yr old car when a new one could be had for 600,000 - including 3 years or 100,000 km warranty, 1 year free insurance, lower interest rates (if financing)

forgot to mention that you don't have to change the plates if you bought a car in BKK. Its perfectly fine to carry on using the Bangkok plates here in Phuket - more than half the cars in Phuket have bkk plates, partly due to many locals buying their cars in BKK where they can get much better deals, for new and 2nd hand.

Edited by tom yum goong

suremotors does have the best reputation in Phuket, which is mainly due to the fact that they honour their short warranty period (whereas most others don't), but their prices are even crazier than the other dealers.

However, I totally agree with what baabaa said about buying new. I spent ages looking all over Phuket for a good deal on a 2nd hand car and in the end decided to buy new. Couldn't bring myself to spend 350,000 on a 6-7 yr old car when a new one could be had for 600,000 - including 3 years or 100,000 km warranty, 1 year free insurance, lower interest rates (if financing)

forgot to mention that you don't have to change the plates if you bought a car in BKK. Its perfectly fine to carry on using the Bangkok plates here in Phuket - more than half the cars in Phuket have bkk plates, partly due to many locals buying their cars in BKK where they can get much better deals, for new and 2nd hand.

Thanks for the info, sounds like you where in the same position as me, maybe ? anyway I have a new baby no motor bike now!! you bought new i'm sure you did your homework, where from which dealer? what did you buy ? I favour a toyota but well open to a cost affective alternative ..

Thanks for the info, sounds like you where in the same position as me, maybe ? anyway I have a new baby no motor bike now!! you bought new i'm sure you did your homework, where from which dealer? what did you buy ? I favour a toyota but well open to a cost affective alternative ..

I guess it all depends on your budget and needs. I spent a fair amount of time looking around before i bought a Honda Jazz for around 600k. I got 1 years free insurance and a few extras thrown in.

Like I said before if you want a better deal buy the car in Bangkok and drive it down. You should be able to get better discount or a lot of extras thrown in compared to Phuket.

About the new car dealers, there isn't much choice as there is only one dealer per manufacturer in Phuket, and even then some dealerships are owned by the same company - Anuphas & Sons own the Honda, Ford and Mazda dealerships (among many other businesses).

In Thailand you pretty much can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda. Reliable, cheap and plentiful parts and they hold their value well.

So far i've got no complaints with Honda but then I've only had my car for 6 months.

Forgot to add, lots of useful information here you should check out:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=78

Edited by tom yum goong

I guess it all depends on your budget and needs. I spent a fair amount of time looking around before i bought a Honda Jazz for around 600k. I got 1 years free insurance and a few extras thrown in.

Like I said before if you want a better deal buy the car in Bangkok and drive it down. You should be able to get better discount or a lot of extras thrown in compared to Phuket.

About the new car dealers, there isn't much choice as there is only one dealer per manufacturer in Phuket, and even then some dealerships are owned by the same company - Anuphas & Sons own the Honda, Ford and Mazda dealerships (among many other businesses).

In Thailand you pretty much can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda. Reliable, cheap and plentiful parts and they hold their value well.

So far i've got no complaints with Honda but then I've only had my car for 6 months.

Forgot to add, lots of useful information here you should check out:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=78

Thanks again your advice is good i'm leaning toward the new car, checked out the site and others, the new car has to be the best option, service etc. and here in Phuket the high second hand value works then to your benefit..

• 4 weeks later...
Have just moved to Thalang with my family and I need to purchase transport. Can you help me with any suggestions regarding dealers, private adds etc Thanks..

If you would be interested in buying a 2005 Honda City, then you could contact me at

[email protected] The car is owned by my Thai wife who immigrated to the USA with me a few months ago. Her relatives are keeping the car in Nakhorn SiThammart. It is in new condition and not driven that much. Drives great.

Kris Perkins

Have just moved to Thalang with my family and I need to purchase transport. Can you help me with any suggestions regarding dealers, private adds etc Thanks..

If you would be interested in buying a 2005 Honda City, then you could contact me at

[email protected] The car is owned by my Thai wife who immigrated to the USA with me a few months ago. Her relatives are keeping the car in Nakhorn SiThammart. It is in new condition and not driven that much. Drives great.

Kris Perkins

Yes I am interested but I'm in the UK at present I will be back in about 8 weeks I will contact you then. You may still have the car Thanks John

Sorry to be blunt but as I was pointed out in the same way ( actually turned out to be soooooo ttttttrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuueeeeee)

BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK !

PS, you could import from the U.K I beleive the tax is only 237% of perceived value !

:o

Happy they dont put us on 40% income tax though :D

Sorry to be blunt but as I was pointed out in the same way ( actually turned out to be soooooo ttttttrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuueeeeee)

BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK BANGKOK !

PS, you could import from the U.K I beleive the tax is only 237% of perceived value !

:o

Happy they dont put us on 40% income tax though :D

Great ----- :D Thats it then the solution is to import I will bring one back,, thanks again friends

• 3 weeks later...

After looking for a decent used car for several weeks in Bangkok - I ended up buying one at Sure Motors. I didn't find the price difference that I had always heard about. I checked www.one2car.com where you can get a real feel for prices (though it is largely in Thai - but that gives you a better sense of non-farlang prices).

Bottom line - price was about the same - and a lot less trouble as I didn't have to spend a day driving it down. And, and guarantee is easier to follow up on here - than with a BKK dealer.

Just my opinion on a recent purchase.

After looking for a decent used car for several weeks in Bangkok - I ended up buying one at Sure Motors. I didn't find the price difference that I had always heard about. I checked www.one2car.com where you can get a real feel for prices (though it is largely in Thai - but that gives you a better sense of non-farlang prices).

Bottom line - price was about the same - and a lot less trouble as I didn't have to spend a day driving it down. And, and guarantee is easier to follow up on here - than with a BKK dealer.

Thanks for your input, where are Sure Motors located ?

http://www.suremotors.com/map.htm :o

http://www.suremotors.com/map.htm :o

Have checked out both web sites thanks again for the info.