Relocating back to Thailand

mraitchison

Hi Folks,

We are relocating back to Thailand and I'm trying to work out the best option to ship back our stuff.

We are currently in a land locked country and as we have minimal items, the majority being clothes and kids toys kids books, we don't have the need for a container.

Our only option from here is air freight into BKK

Our shipping agent has told us that we don't need to worry about our clothes, they will pass through ok, however our kids toys, books and the pc will more than likely be taxed at the whim of the customs officer, and the best bet for getting it in at a sensible price will be 'negotiating' when it gets there.

This does negate the need for door to door service, which reduces the shipping costs.

I currently see our options as run the gauntlet of shipping them in and seeing what we have to pay, or selling the toys and books and starting again. Toys I don't really care about, but we have a great collection of kids books that we have built up. The computer and games console is neither here nor there. Sell it and buy another or not, doesn't really matter.

Anybody had any recent experience on shipping in by air. Everything will be in the wife's name as I won't have a WP for a few months.

As it sounds like you have at least 4 persons traveling by air back to Thailand, that would seem to be a pretty good baggage allowance -- also you could check other excess baggage options.

• Like 1

OP, Are you an all Farang family or is there a 'Thai wife' in the mix?

The reason I ask is, if there's a Thai and they've been out of Thailand for 12 months or more, then simply place those valuable items onto freight in her name only. Tax exempt.

here

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

PS: I previously air freighted in stuff from OS by air freight, about 160kgs of stuff in several boxes and it was quite cheap through a freighting mob, but that was organised in Australia, surely there's a similar co. originating from where you are travelling from?

Edited by neverdie

Wife is Thai, so will be in her name.

Problem is that what I have read and what the shippers have said is basically - The TV, blender, bedding clothes etc are no issue. But our daughters toys and books will get taxed along with our pc and games console.

I do find it odd that kids toys new or second hand are not exempt, but that is what it says. I have no idea if they enforce it, and it has been years since we last lived there and had anything shipped in

I'm not sure if the regulations have changed, but we moved from the USA to Thailand in 2002. At that time, a returning Thai citizen's household goods were tax exempt, so we shipped a 20 foot container with clothes, books, china, furniture, and so on in my wife's name. No hassle and no tax or tea money paid. Good luck.

• Like 1

Problem is that what I have read and what the shippers have said is basically - The TV, blender, bedding clothes etc are no issue. But our daughters toys and books will get taxed along with our pc and games console.

I do find it odd that kids toys new or second hand are not exempt, but that is what it says. I have no idea if they enforce it, and it has been years since we last lived there and had anything shipped in

Had items shipped over 2013 by sea I can tell you that books are not taxed I had 13 boxes of everything electrics books clothes ornaments pictures tools my tax bill was less than 3,500 baht I am a falang married to a falang I would expect you having a Thai wife would be a lot easier and less cost should you have to pay duties

• Like 1

From where?

Be prepared to let your wife negotiate with Customs in order to reduce whatever taxes they will pull out of the air. My import fees on household goods including cookwear and everything else was exorbitant. My wife kept haggling with them and finally decreased their demands by 75%. Goood luck and be patient. One conversation with customs will probably not be enough to get their price down very much.

I'm not sure if the regulations have changed, but we moved from the USA to Thailand in 2002. At that time, a returning Thai citizen's household goods were tax exempt, so we shipped a 20 foot container with clothes, books, china, furniture, and so on in my wife's name. No hassle and no tax or tea money paid. Good luck.

+1 '04

I've been in that space. Total nightmare. Actually, my space was even worse - no Thai address to "repatriate" to. With one, utterly exorbitant exception, nobody would touch it, meaning being the receiver, without knowing me. Of course, apart from worries that I might be trying to store weapons, or something, there were the worries over the potential actions and costs of involvement with Thai Revenue and Customs. I'd have thought that professional companies would know which hands to grease, but there appeared to be as much fear of Revenue and Customs among the professional companies as among the many foreigners with their personal horror stories.

Your strength is that you have a Thai wife, mother-in-law and address. Also, everybody agreed personal negotiation is a key - not very easy if you don't have access to Thai language skills!

I've ended up returning everything from China to UK. In the rare event that stuff actually arrives in UK from China, when I return to Thailand, in a few months, it will be using China Eastern, taking advantage of the China Eastern enhanced baggage allowance, with a bit of guanxi on top. Beyond that, people seem reasonably agreed that sending books out, once I have a Thai address, should be relatively safe from Customs and Excise attack. I think, though, the major moral of the story, in the case of Thailand, is to max out what you carry in on your own back and in your own hands, even buying excess baggage allowance (again, China Eastern score).

The saddest thing of all, even beyond being expected to chuck your life in a bin every few years, is the negative feelings it gives toward entering a country. The barriers to being globalised are supposed to be in our head, not unreasonable bureaucracy among member nations of the global village.

Edited by Runamile

I've been in that space. Total nightmare. Actually, my space was even worse - no Thai address to "repatriate" to. With one, utterly exorbitant exception, nobody would touch it, meaning being the receiver, without knowing me. Of course, apart from worries that I might be trying to store weapons, or something, there were the worries over the potential actions and costs of involvement with Thai Revenue and Customs. I'd have thought that professional companies would know which hands to grease, but there appeared to be as much fear of Revenue and Customs among the professional companies as among the many foreigners with their personal horror stories.

Your strength is that you have a Thai wife, mother-in-law and address. Also, everybody agreed personal negotiation is a key - not very easy if you don't have access to Thai language skills!

I've ended up returning everything from China to UK. In the rare event that stuff actually arrives in UK from China, when I return to Thailand, in a few months, it will be using China Eastern, taking advantage of the China Eastern enhanced baggage allowance, with a bit of guanxi on top. Beyond that, people seem reasonably agreed that sending books out, once I have a Thai address, should be relatively safe from Customs and Excise attack. I think, though, the major moral of the story, in the case of Thailand, is to max out what you carry in on your own back and in your own hands, even buying excess baggage allowance (again, China Eastern score).

The saddest thing of all, even beyond being expected to chuck your life in a bin every few years, is the negative feelings it gives toward entering a country. The barriers to being globalised are supposed to be in our head, not unreasonable bureaucracy among member nations of the global village.

We are heading back to the UK for a few weeks first, using Aeroflot, and they have cheap cheap cheap excess luggauge charges. I think that it will be cheaper to take 5 extra bags from here, then surface ship it into Thailand, at least then I can get it door to door (in theory anyway)

@mraitchison

Yep, Aeroflot. I've not used for many years, but, in the past, the point was not simply that their rates weren't crazy, but they actively accepted excess baggage (some used to say "encouraged" it). China Eastern is the same. It's not just to do with the cost, but the willingness to accept. You never have a right to excess baggage allowance - it's discretionary. Try getting Korean to exercise that discretion!

Isn't it crazy, though, that in this globalised age, we scamper around with our little scales in hand, desperately weighing our baggage, desperately searching for the best airline allowances, the greatest flexibility, etc. To a certain extent this refers to any country, but Thailand is, particularly, an issue, due to high protective tariffs and inflexibility by Thai Customs and Excise.

As I understand it, there's no recognition that we're talking used goods, sometimes over-used goods, but things of sentimental value. Best only get sentimental about books. As for that wedding dress - the garbage bin awaits! Ridiculous! Likewise unsolicited gifts, when in country. We've probably all heard those stories of granddaughter sending a pair of Xmas socks to Grandad, who then, resolutely, leaves them at the Post Office. That's sad. Please, someone, tell me this is urban myth - but I think not.

A little PS to airlines - for premium economy, forget seat pitch and leg room, just give us more baggage allowance. I'll fly on the wing, if it gives me more baggage allowance. In fact, baggage allowance is the sole determinant of my air ticket purchasing patterns.

Edited by Runamile

@mraitchison

Yep, Aeroflot. I've not used for many years, but, in the past, the point was not simply that their rates weren't crazy, but they actively accepted excess baggage (some used to say "encouraged" it). China Eastern is the same. It's not just to do with the cost, but the willingness to accept. You never have a right to excess baggage allowance - it's discretionary. Try getting Korean to exercise that discretion!

Isn't it crazy, though, that in this globalised age, we scamper around with our little scales in hand, desperately weighing our baggage, desperately searching for the best airline allowances, the greatest flexibility, etc. To a certain extent this refers to any country, but Thailand is, particularly, an issue, due to high protective tariffs and inflexibility by Thai Customs and Excise.

As I understand it, there's no recognition that we're talking used goods, sometimes over-used goods, but things of sentimental value. Best only get sentimental about books. As for that wedding dress - the garbage bin awaits! Ridiculous! Likewise unsolicited gifts, when in country. We've probably all heard those stories of granddaughter sending a pair of Xmas socks to Grandad, who then, resolutely, leaves them at the Post Office. That's sad. Please, someone, tell me this is urban myth - but I think not.

A little PS to airlines - for premium economy, forget seat pitch and leg room, just give us more baggage allowance. I'll fly on the wing, if it gives me more baggage allowance. In fact, baggage allowance is the sole determinant of my air ticket purchasing patterns.

Here in the US, every airline but Southwest, charges you for any checked baggage.. even 1.. coffee1.gif

@Buddhist Monk

Yep, that can happen in Europe, too, for instance Ryannair.

I've no objection to payment. What I have objection to is uncertainty. Naturally, of course, I will though, get as many "freebies" as I can, or a little extra luggage weight, if we're not talking of extra pieces.

If airlines would guarantee, though, to load whatever I care to bring along to the airport (within the normal security bounds), then fair enough to paying. If an airline would make that guarantee, then they'd get my hard earned for the seat. Again, I repeat what airlines have, assuredly not got their heads around, that for many people the controlling factor in purchasing is luggage, not personal comfort, but all marketing seems to be around personal comfort.

I'm in the same situation and I decided to sell everything here in my contry andafter that move. and of course start again. We will carry only our personal belongs. Try to find a service like "Family Moving" and negociate your belongs.

Those <deleted> in customs really did me over once

I left a pair of shoes in a hotel in KL once, they were an 18 month old pair which saw daily use at work, clearly 'used' but as they were quite expensive naturally I wanted them back. I simply had them post them to my forwarding hotel in Bangkok.. When I arrived few days later, reception had received the shoes on my behalf and paid the customs bill of 3,800 baht!!! I saw the DHL and customs receipt so it was correct, and I had to reimburse the hotel naturally. A very expensive mistake!! <deleted> bastards in customs

• Like 1

Those <deleted> in customs really did me over once

I left a pair of shoes in a hotel in KL once, they were an 18 month old pair which saw daily use at work, clearly 'used' but as they were quite expensive naturally I wanted them back. I simply had them post them to my forwarding hotel in Bangkok.. When I arrived few days later, reception had received the shoes on my behalf and paid the customs bill of 3,800 baht!!! I saw the DHL and customs receipt so it was correct, and I had to reimburse the hotel naturally. A very expensive mistake!! <deleted> bastards in customs

Great experience, thanks for sharing. w00t.gif

• Like 1

when i left the Uk i was in a similar position. i had books, wifes knitting stuff, toys, and a few other personal affects - paintings etc. i purchased a 1.5 cubic mtre box with a wooden pallet bottom from a company in the uk, and arranged shipping through a major company (forget the name). in all it cost about £500 to have it shipped to thailand.

when it arrived we were contacted by the shi[[ing agent who told us to contact customs. they wanted to know the exact title and value of each book. i told them they were simply books i had built up over many years and were all used.

to cut a story the wanted 30000 baht. i told them to keep the lot. never seen them since.

in short dont bother as you will be held to ransom

--------------------------

to underline what to expect: i had a debit card delivered by DHL to me here in thailand. when DHL turned up they wanted 1200 baht tax. what is the intrinsic value of a piece of plastic. legalized robbery - simple as that

also: i sent a package from thailand to the Uk using DHL. When i went to get it boxed up they told me i needed a box size for up tp 10 kilos because it was quite bulky - although the item was only 3 kilos. so i took the box home and packed the item. when i took ut to the DHL office they opened the box and undone all my packing then put it back in the box. later on that day i thought hmmm, i bet they havent closed my box properly so i went back to the office to check. all the packages were on the floor ready to be picked up for delivery. as i couldnt see my box i showed the girl my reciept and asked her where my box was. there it was right infront of me. they had removed it from the 10k box and crammed it in to a 2k box.. thus damaging my item and saving themselves the x amount difference from 2k to 10k .

Edited by jonesthebaker

@jonesthebaker

Your stories are horrifying, though not in the slightest unexpected.

To be fair to DHL in BKK, I've only had good experiences, unlike China. However, in all cases, it was only sending documents.

Thai Customs and Excise are simply robbers. Books, as best I know, are zero rate. Number of books, maybe, titles - ridiculous. My impression is that they try to exhaust and bewilder you. Bit like those threads on marriage scams, though, they're not good at what they do. The art is to try on remotely sensible figures. As it is, they would have got tea money as the books went to shops, but, realistically, how much?!

@mraitchison

Here in the US, every airline but Southwest, charges you for any checked baggage.. even 1.. coffee1.gif

I thought International flights allowed one checked bag per passenger at no extra cost? Domestic.....That's another story.

Take my word for it and don't ship by air. The cost for tax and duties can be more than the cost of the shipment itself. Ship by sea (LCL) and pay tea money of a few thousand baht. Or, ship by air, pay a fortune then look back on this advice and think "I shoulda listened". Been doing this for 15 years so know what I'm talking about

@Craig

No! Take a look at Ryannair. I think that. maybe, some of the British scheduled airlines that grew out of charter airlines might me the same, then what about the European international low costs, like Whizz? On the other hand, more than I piece free does happen on some airlines, on some routes eg China Eastern and their 2 pieces at 23Kg, out of UK, rising (if you have the right guanxi, to 3 pieces at 23Kg). Also, remember, that some airlines have a 30Kg max on the single piece, as against 23Kg.

Had items shipped over 2013 by sea I can tell you that books are not taxed I had 13 boxes of everything electrics books clothes ornaments pictures tools my tax bill was less than 3,500 baht I am a falang married to a falang I would expect you having a Thai wife would be a lot easier and less cost should you have to pay duties

Where did you ship from (what country) and what was approx. cost. I will be moving to Thailand with the family later this year. thanks.