Setting up an unelected Thai govt is just not possible

webfact

"It is time that Thais were given a chance to decide on the fate of their country. Every Thai - no matter which strata of society they hail from - have an equal right to decide on the future of their nation."

And equal rights to decide is not what the PCAD wants. A Thai friend of mine who is a yellow shirt said: "Thai people should not have a democracy because the majority is too stupid to select good leaders, we should have only the monarchy".

That sentiment about sums up what I have seen from the demands and actions of the PCAD.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"This argument, however, is invalid because the 2007 Constitution - which many of these legal experts helped draft - does not allow an unelected person to become prime minister."

So how come Yingluck was permitted to take the position?

Simple. She was elected.

By party list, which allows rich would-be's to buy a position of power. If the party list (a system subject to abuse, nepotism and cronyism) can not be discarded, those elected by party list should not be eligible for high office.

• Like 1

All this indecision, months dragging on and on, with "he said, she said, they said" when will it ever end, this country is tumbling into an irretrievable decline,, what the hell is wrong with these egoist, is it about "losing face" and they think big businessess will invest in the future of this country, I know I would take my business to a more stable environment, this has been going on for years now

Another opinion article, with a different point of view, and a particularly well-written one at that. The good thing is that opinion articles like these are being written - whether they support this writer's opinion or not. Some do. A lot do not.This writer takes a particular point of view. It's a cohesive argument. But the conclusion of it - an election first, reforms later - just happens to be exactly the quagmire we've be in for months on end. It's not just a theory as to whether it can or cannot work. It hasn't worked. And the fact that it hasn't worked has brought us to the present situation. If the writer of this article is correct that there is no pathway out but an election first and reforms after - then why does an election seem so unfeasible - apart from the fact that the last one failed ? Are the conditions any better on the ground now than they were then ? Is the legitimacy of what Pheu Thai presently calls the PM really as constitutionally unambiguous as this writer might suppose ? It's an interesting question, because he doesn't actually address that. Wouldn't that constitutional authority be necessary ? And is this writer certain that the EC's fears of whether or not an election could be peacefully held are not reasonably based ?That's also a good question, because he doesn't bring up the EC either. And yet their constitutional role is as vital as that of a constitutionally recognized prime minister. And currently the EC is weighing whether conditions for a peaceful election exist or not, and they are also weighing whether Niwattumrong has the constitutional authority he claims to have.

Edited by Scamper

Spot on. Only a democratic election open to all Thai people should decide the next government. There is sufficient time between now and the already chosen election date of July 20 for all parties to put forward proposals for reform.

Shadowy forces representing groups opposed to democratic rule are well aware of this and are trying to force the government out of office by hook or by crook. If all else fails they will provoke civil unrest as a pretext yet another military coup.

Such a backward step would be a tragedy for democracy but most of all for the Thai people who deserve a greater say in their country's future and a fairer share in the country's prosperity.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

So! Why, if the "Pheu Thai" believe he can win any further election, even without vote buying... they do not agree with Abhisit proposal???

Abhisit propose to start right away election reforms (who will take 4 - 6 months) then go for election without problem!!!

WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO LOOSE???

Or maybe they are not sure... ?

Put all the reforms on the table and let's talk ... if not then quit talking reforms

I believe each faction refuses to put fwd its reform suggestions because it knows these will be one sided and cause further friction ... if they knew the reforms weren't devisive then they'd have been on the table as a way out long ago. Now, I can't be the only person thinking this, hence no one is budging.

You can bet the first yellow reform will be to shore up support in the judicial system and protect it from legal challenge, shortly followed by something preventing future change to the appointed senators positions .., followed by every political maneuver to improve their chances of election .... nothing will be literally to the benefit of the people and their freedom to vote as they choose.

The reds are bound to do everything they can to make the senate fully elected which got us in this mess in the first place. They will try to weaken the yellow control of the judicial system also.

Are these the sorry of reforms you are talking about? Hence why nothing is on the table

How about you voice what you believe would be reasonable reforms and also tell me why neither side has formally put them on the table for public discussion.

Personally I believe each side should go to election with its reforms as it's election promises and the one that wins has the mandate to make the changes. Sort of election and referendum in one .... that is really what the people want if you ask them ... not just what the politically active keep screaming

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Yingluck gets booted out for transferring an uncooperative civil servant, but the unelected, unendorsed head of the Senate can appoint a new PM. Wow, go figure!!

No, she gets booted out for abusing her power, nepotism and self interest.

The red re-write history attempt as already begun in earnest. Yingluck the Innocent, sister of Thaksin the Innocent. Red activists in In-Laws area have been pushing the "poor nice kind Yingluck, never done anything wrong" crap too.

The legality of the current caretaker government, its appointment of a non elected acting caretaker PM and the refusal of some former now removed caretaker ministers to leave office is all very questionable too.

Can you produce any evidence to show Mr. Thawil was transferred for being uncooperative? Interestingly this was not stated at the time, nor was it used as a defense by Yingluck or her legal team.

As usual, the red history re-write - make it up as you go along, don't worry about the facts.

Your idea of elections are useless unless you include the 2 most import reforms plus more, ad they are not fair elections

Yawn yawn yawn. If the Dems had wanted reforms so badly they could have made them whilst in power. Its just a bullshit excuse put forward here by right wing sex pats keen to distance themselves from their red loving "telaks" and somehow seem middle class and less deviant.

The main issue seems to be with populist poilicies and therefore is an issue with democracy at large, rather than democracy specifically in Thailand. "Democrat Party" has to be the most ironic name of anything in the history of the world.

Time to call and election and let us all move on. Everyone is bored already.

Mark was too busy fixing the mess Thaskin has left him with.

No time to do the reform stuff.

"It is time that Thais were given a chance to decide on the fate of their country. Every Thai - no matter which strata of society they hail from - have an equal right to decide on the future of their nation."

And equal rights to decide is not what the PCAD wants. A Thai friend of mine who is a yellow shirt said: "Thai people should not have a democracy because the majority is too stupid to select good leaders, we should have only the monarchy".

That sentiment about sums up what I have seen from the demands and actions of the PCAD.

Is your Thai friend wrong? From what I've seen, possibly not!

This whole thing could be sorted out IF the relevant parties started talking AND made sacrifices. Both sides!

Example Thaksin and family out of politics .. Suthep and family out of politics etc.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Any of you already travelled to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar? All these countries are at least 10-20 years behind Thailand. Just look from a distance and you will notice the difference. Not all bad he!

And in another 20 years?

" This argument, however, is invalid because the 2007 Constitution - which many of these legal experts helped draft - does not allow an unelected person to become prime minister."

nuf sed, as the parlance goes.

Elecions are the only way forward, and you know who is acting as if he and a handful of douchebags in black have final authority over that.

Know your enemy.