If you have online buisness wouldn't you also need work permit if running in Thailand?

Strangebrew

Further a year or two ago Phuket Immigration/DOL and stated categorically that in terms of their jurisdiction, people working on line in Thailand require a work permit, nothing to do with where your getting paid, who or where your customers are.

Typical BS from Soutpeel. We have many threads in Thaivisa about online work. Even the law firms say, it is a grey area and immigration officials are not interested on arresting online workers. You simply cannot get a work permit for online work. Period. If the customers and the money are earned outside of Thailand, they are not interested.

Soutpeel has been commenting total BS on similar threads many times. I don't know what is his problem with this but he always shows up with his scaremongering BS in these threads. Even wishes for jail time for those online workers! Really a piece of work! Crackdown threads is his another specialty.

Many people have tried to get work permit by going to the immigration and/or labour ministry and explained their situation. The answer has been always the same, they are not interested unless you have Thai customers or selling stuff to Thais via Ebay with merchandise at your home. In any case, you need to employ 4 Thais and you cannot even own the majority of the shares of your own company, if you want a work permit.

From their point of view, an online worker is not competing directly with Thais and bringing money to Thailand anyway. Win-win for both parties. Same as any farang spending his savings here except your savings are replenished abroad. Same same but different smile.png !

Per the quoted articles Just for emphasis: I have highlighted the names and positions who made these statements, and their relevant quotes just in case your are hard of reading or don't know how to open a link

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1175

http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=180

Sunbelt Asia - Posted 2011-06-22 10:38:21

"Working from home without a work permit is illegal"

1. Pol Col Panuwat Ruamrak, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration:

"If we find out that a foreigner is doing business online without a work permit, we will arrest them and take legal action through the court"

2. Somkiat Baiadul, an officer at the work permit division of the Phuket Department of Employment

“Doing business online is considered a type of work, so foreigners are required to have a work permit to do so"

3. Phuket Provincial Employment Services Office

Question: I am a commodity trader and use the Internet for my work. My financial dealings are conducted in Australia. I am thinking of coming to Thailand to stay for short time – about three months. My question is, can I still do my trading via the Internet in Thailand without breaking any laws? Theoretically, I shan't be working in Thailand.

Answer To do any work in Thailand you must either set up a company or partnership and apply for a work prmit, or find someone willing to employ you and to apply for a work permit for you. Otherwise you will be working illegally.We suggest that you do not work during your three-month stay in Phuket

Now may I humble you take a trip to Phuket, find the above mentioned people and tell them like Soutpeel, they are talking BS

Now toddle off my little friend and troll someone else....wai2.gif

Phuket.... says it all really!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you need a permit. But then again, what concern is it to you whatever this man does? He's not holding a gun to your face. If I was clever enough I would do exactly the same.

I'm fed up with people telling me what to do or not. Unfortunately the fine is too high to openly work in Thailand - besides that, I don't really need it - but if I could make money online or among farangs, I would do it as long as I'm not caught.

Last year I started to work at computers in people's homes and I wanted to do it "legally". So I asked at immigration if I could get a working visa. The woman asked about my work and said, as long as I'm working in people's home, nobody would bother me and no questions asked. I couldn't work in restaurants or bups, or whatever public area.

So, I think that this man, working in his own house and making some money and can do that so without paying taxes... I'm happy for him!

• Like 1

Further a year or two ago Phuket Immigration/DOL and stated categorically that in terms of their jurisdiction, people working on line in Thailand require a work permit, nothing to do with where your getting paid, who or where your customers are.

Typical BS from Soutpeel. We have many threads in Thaivisa about online work. Even the law firms say, it is a grey area and immigration officials are not interested on arresting online workers. You simply cannot get a work permit for online work. Period. If the customers and the money are earned outside of Thailand, they are not interested.

Soutpeel has been commenting total BS on similar threads many times. I don't know what is his problem with this but he always shows up with his scaremongering BS in these threads. Even wishes for jail time for those online workers! Really a piece of work! Crackdown threads is his another specialty.

Many people have tried to get work permit by going to the immigration and/or labour ministry and explained their situation. The answer has been always the same, they are not interested unless you have Thai customers or selling stuff to Thais via Ebay with merchandise at your home. In any case, you need to employ 4 Thais and you cannot even own the majority of the shares of your own company, if you want a work permit.

From their point of view, an online worker is not competing directly with Thais and bringing money to Thailand anyway. Win-win for both parties. Same as any farang spending his savings here except your savings are replenished abroad. Same same but different smile.png !

Per the quoted articles Just for emphasis: I have highlighted the names and positions who made these statements, and their relevant quotes just in case your are hard of reading or don't know how to open a link

"If we find out that a foreigner is doing business online without a work permit, we will arrest them and take legal action through the court"

2. Somkiat Baiadul, an officer at the work permit division of the Phuket Department of Employment

“Doing business online is considered a type of work, so foreigners are required to have a work permit to do so"

Question: I am a commodity trader and use the Internet for my work. My financial dealings are conducted in Australia. I am thinking of coming to Thailand to stay for short time – about three months. My question is, can I still do my trading via the Internet in Thailand without breaking any laws? Theoretically, I shan't be working in Thailand.

Answer To do any work in Thailand you must either set up a company or partnership and apply for a work prmit, or find someone willing to employ you and to apply for a work permit for you. Otherwise you will be working illegally.We suggest that you do not work during your three-month stay in Phuket

Now may I humble you take a trip to Phuket, find the above mentioned people and tell them like Soutpeel, they are talking BS

I am struggling to see any ambiguity or "grey areas" in those statements

I am struggling to see any ambiguity or "grey areas" in those statements

Maybe not but Phuket is famous for extra red tape and paperwork.

I still say that you cannot get a work permit for the job specified in the OP.

link to the other thread please?

This is the discussion with the young American fellow, who has been abusing the 30 day entry, is not a tourist, is running an online business whilst his arse (ass if you're American) is parked here in the Kingdom,.. and not paying any tax. The topic was closed before I had a chance to tell him that I hope he get's caught and screwed,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725758-so-can-i-stay-in-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20140514-0758&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=featured

Thanks, haven't gotten round to reading it yet so don't know the specifics. I will say though that Thailand certainly doesn't make it easy for online entrepreneurs to work here. Even Thai startups now often register abroad. http://www.techinasia.com/successful-startup-settle-thailand-register-company/

People should follow the law, but the law should not put insurmountable barriers up. Anyway, thanks again for the link!

Hilarious, it looks like the laws in Thailand are designed to descourage innovation. Singapores gain I guess.

Maybe this is why the list of technologican advances / innovations from Thailand isn't so long.

You're right that the laws don't do much to encourage innovation, but wrong about the second part. The tech and startup scene in Thailand now is red hot. Venture capitalists from San Francisco, Japan, Singapore etc. are all looking to invest in it.

We have had this discussion many times before. The same Sunbelt Asia said in another thread, "working online generally does not require a work permit".

<deleted> is wrong with you? Are you somekind of self-appointed police here? If for example somebody is writing a book here in Thailand, you would gladly throw him to jail!

Yes, you need a permit. But then again, what concern is it to you whatever this man does? He's not holding a gun to your face. If I was clever enough I would do exactly the same.

I'm fed up with people telling me what to do or not. Unfortunately the fine is too high to openly work in Thailand - besides that, I don't really need it - but if I could make money online or among farangs, I would do it as long as I'm not caught.

Last year I started to work at computers in people's homes and I wanted to do it "legally". So I asked at immigration if I could get a working visa. The woman asked about my work and said, as long as I'm working in people's home, nobody would bother me and no questions asked. I couldn't work in restaurants or bups, or whatever public area.

So, I think that this man, working in his own house and making some money and can do that so without paying taxes... I'm happy for him!

I personally could care less what people do, but we have people on TV who are new and asking these questions and they should be given the proper "legal" stand point of the question the best we can, or at the very least both sides of the argument, so they can make an informed decision.

If they choose the legal route, great, if they don't, at least they know what they are doing is illegal and there are consequences if caught

The debate here is not will someone get caught ?, The debate is do I need a WP to be fully legal, and the answer is yes, apparently so...

If a new person to Thailand takes the advice of people like some of the posters are giving and they do get caught what are they suppose to say ?

"Timwin" on TV said it's ok...he said "immigration/DOL are not interested I don't need a WP".

In a similar vein, its like typical comments that come up..."I asked a lawyer and they said "Its was ok, I don't need a WP"....if you do get caught and end up in court for some reason saying "Legal firm XYZ said its ok" aint going to help you

For all the rationalization some people do on here....the answer to whether someone is working or not under the current laws is very simple...its up to the individual officer from DOL/Immigration official who is dealing with your "case"...if they say your working, your working

• Like 1

We have had this discussion many times before. The same Sunbelt Asia said in another thread, "working online generally does not require a work permit".

<deleted> is wrong with you? Are you somekind of self-appointed police here? If for example somebody is writing a book here in Thailand, you would gladly throw him to jail!

Is this the best response you can come up ?......I was expecting a response that Phuket don't know what they are talking about and you where going to point out all the ambiguities and grey areas in all three statements I linked to ?

Not self appointed police at all, I really could give F what people do, but its very wrong to give new people asking a very topical question only one side of the debate as you are doing

If someone is writing a book here and the decision is made my whichever official is looking after the "case" that what the person is doing is working, they needed a WP and they throw them in jail, that's a decision for the labour office/immigration and courts to decide...not me

I personally wouldn't will a Thai jail on anyone, but if some one makes an informed decision, they know what they are doing is illegal and understand the consequences and they do end up in jail, they can only blame themselves if they are caught out.

A man gets off a flight and turns on his mobile phone. He has 6 emails and replies to them saying your goods will ship tomorrow.

He gets a taxi and goes to a hotel, then goes on the internet and contacts his supplier to drop ship the goods directly to his customer.

He does this for about an hour may be 2 every day. Is this working ?

All he is doing is reading some emails and send some replies.

According to Thai Law, its considered working, but never enforced otherwise every businessman/ businesswoman visiting Thailand would technically be breaking the law.

In reality to refers to physical work, where payments are taken in Thailand.

• Like 1

It's all about tax residence. If you RESIDE in a tax jurisdiction then you should be paying tax on ALL income derived in that jurisdiction and from any overseas sources. Usually it's residence of 180 days or more (each country has a different definition of residence so it may be more days or maybe less).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is not the case. Different countries have different taxation rules for residents, and Thailand does not tax overseas income unless it is remitted to Thailand in the same tax year.

Maybe not but Phuket is famous for extra red tape and paperwork.

I still say that you cannot get a work permit for the job specified in the OP.

This maybe so, but in my time here, those statements were the first definitive statements I had ever seen regarding this question from the correct officials and departments, most of the others where wishy washy up in the air type statements eg "I feel it may be ok"

I agree without setting up a Thai business etc, most likely the OP cant get a WP, but by the same token, just because you can get it, it doesn't infer that you don't need one, this was one of the rationalization arguments some people where using...they will not give me one, therefore I must not need one and if I don't need one therefore I can cant be working by definition ...LOL

A man gets off a flight and turns on his mobile phone. He has 6 emails and replies to them saying your goods will ship tomorrow.

He gets a taxi and goes to a hotel, then goes on the internet and contacts his supplier to drop ship the goods directly to his customer.

According to Thai Law, its considered working, but never enforced otherwise every businessman/ businesswoman visiting Thailand would technically be breaking the law.

it refers specifically to working through the internet , not just physical payments take in thailand

i think some people are looking to hear an answer that makes them feel better but the official line is " no permit,no work! "

probably because so many people are doing it /defending the legality of it doesnt mean the authorities will agree if they ever catch you

a bit like riding home after a few beers in a remote village rd ,almost no chance of being caught but doesnt make it legal if you were caught

• Like 2

If this is true, why are volunteers required to have a WP....no payments/salaries involved ?

why during the Tsunami, people volunteering to help where told they had to get a WP - Very very wrong on so many levels I know, considering what had happened, but none the less they were told they needed them

and as a last point, can you show me in the labor act the paragraph that mentions "refers to physical work, where payments are taken in Thailand"....I will save you some time looking...it doesn't

it refers specifically to working through the internet , not just physical payments take in thailand

i think some people are looking to hear an answer that makes them feel better but the official line is " no permit,no work! "

probably because so many people are doing it /defending the legality of it doesnt mean the authorities will agree if they ever catch you

a bit like riding home after a few beers in a remote village rd ,almost no chance of being caught but doesnt make it legal if you were caught

I understand completely.

Ok another scenario, when your getting your visa at the airport (assuming tourist 30 day visa), and they ask you what is the purpose of your visit. If you say "Business". do they require you to have a work permit before allowing you entry. If not are not customs aiding and assisting an offender ?

besides the poster never indicated what visa the person entered Thailand on, if he came here to explore setting up business opportunities/contacts in Thailand and has a Non-imm B, he may in fact be completely legal, even in the eyes of the law..biggrin.png

Thailand provides many incentives for those who wish to come here and set-up software/online companies that will employ Thais. If they make it too easy for the guy with an offshore business, clients, and payments to work here legally, it provides a dis-incentive for those to make the investments that is the government policy.

Do you know what these incentives are? I've looked at the BOI website, but the information I've found is kind of general and/or vague: http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=opp_software&language=en.

I'm interested in bootstrapping an online business (software as a service -- SaaS) from Thailand. Obviously this means working in Thailand, although in my case there wouldn't be any revenue or salary until the product is live and there are paying customers. My understanding is that under the current law, I would have to incorporate in Thailand, get an office, hire a number of Thai employees, etc. Initially I have no need for employees and thus hiring four Thai employees right from the start is not desirable, unless they're part-time and/or can be paid very little so as to not create a significant financial burden on the tiny company. Any idea if the employees would have to be full-time or if the hiring has to be immediately after incorporating?

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think Thailand is overly friendly towards foreigners starting businesses in Thailand given the ownership and visa laws. I'm not surprised that some people are getting "creative" and in some cases are bending or even breaking the letter of the law.

Thanks for any input!

Ok another scenario, when your getting your visa at the airport (assuming tourist 30 day visa), and they ask you what is the purpose of your visit. If you say "Business". do they require you to have a work permit before allowing you entry. If not are not customs aiding and assisting an offender ?

No but to be completely fully "legal" you would require a Non-imm B....Someone who is entering Thailand to explore business possibilities working with Thai companies etc would only initially need an Non-imm B, a WP is not required, but saying that some of the big MNC's/Thai companies in cases like this do arrange a temporary WP (14 day) for the person, so there is no argument, its free and typically you have get one in 24 hours, its a letter, not the blue book.

Thailand provides many incentives for those who wish to come here and set-up software/online companies that will employ Thais. If they make it too easy for the guy with an offshore business, clients, and payments to work here legally, it provides a dis-incentive for those to make the investments that is the government policy.

Do you know what these incentives are? I've looked at the BOI website, but the information I've found is kind of general and/or vague: http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=opp_software&language=en.

I'm interested in bootstrapping an online business (software as a service -- SaaS) from Thailand. Obviously this means working in Thailand, although in my case there wouldn't be any revenue or salary until the product is live and there are paying customers. My understanding is that under the current law, I would have to incorporate in Thailand, get an office, hire a number of Thai employees, etc. Initially I have no need for employees and thus hiring four Thai employees right from the start is not desirable, unless they're part-time and/or can be paid very little so as to not create a significant financial burden on the tiny company. Any idea if the employees would have to be full-time or if the hiring has to be immediately after incorporating?

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think Thailand is overly friendly towards foreigners starting businesses in Thailand given the ownership and visa laws. I'm not surprised that some people are getting "creative" and in some cases are bending or even breaking the letter of the law.

Thanks for any input!

If it's an online business why don't you start it in your own country ?

Thanks for any input!

i know of instances where shell companies were set up with virtual staff members just to get visas and by pass laws to own land etc ,extended family and friends of wife listed as employees etc just for visa purposes and no work was ever done and no salaries were ever paid etc except to the lawyer to set it up innitially and declare a negative profit to tax every year (pay nothing or almost nothing in tax )

in the past the rules were very laxadically "enforced " but this may not be so easy to do nowadays but again if the lawyer knows someone it can probably still be done although again since greed has no limits .......

be done for

If you have no reason to be here other than you want to be, then you are a tourist.

the average definition of tourist doesnt spend the whole year or best part of it in thailand ,year after year

theyre going to ask at some stage where is the money coming from ?

is it not weird would anyone even ask this question if they were only coming here for a legitimate holiday?

Yep.

How many countries can you just turn up in and live without contributing anything or reason to be there ?

UK. There they give you money, housing and free medical!

If you go to immigration and justify your reason to be there, if not you get slung in a cell with the other illegal immigrants.

If it's an online business why don't you start it in your own country ?

The market for the business is global so I will be incorporating another company in another country as well, though the Thai company will be independent from that. However, the product will benefit from being adapted to local markets, such as Thailand, with respect to internationalization/localization (e.g. translating to Thai), customer support and not to mention marketing and sales, thus I can benefit from having a proper Thai company with Thai employees. Furthermore, I understand having a proper Thai company will allow for the purchase of a house or shop house (including the land the building is on) which I intend to use for housing and/or offices. On top of that, the work visa route seems more practical than extended tourist visas, educational visas, etc. I left those details out for brevity's sake, but your question is very valid indeed.

i know of instances where shell companies were set up with virtual staff members just to get visas and by pass laws to own land etc ,extended family and friends of wife listed as employees etc just for visa purposes and no work was ever done and no salaries were ever paid etc except to the lawyer to set it up innitially and declare a negative profit to tax every year (pay nothing or almost nothing in tax )

in the past the rules were very laxadically "enforced " but this may not be so easy to do nowadays but again if the lawyer knows someone it can probably still be done although again since greed has no limits .......

be done for

I've heard of similar arrangements, e.g. get hired by a Thai company on paper without actually working there. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something one can get away with, but it's not for me. I too have heard that the authorities are cracking down on this, but it's all hearsay and I don't know if it is in fact true and/or effective. I think the capital requirements and the number of Thai employees are a little excessive, especially for smaller companies just starting out, but it probably has to do with the type of foreign businesses that typically have established themselves in Thailand (manufacturing, hospitality, etc).

Yes, OP, you would be correct. I read that same thread this morning and found it odd that people were trying to help this guy break the law. If an expat is working in Thailand, he/she must have a work permit. Does not matter if the work is related to Thailand or not. From the Thai Embassy website:

"Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their type of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. Those who intend to work in Thailand must hold the correct type of visa to be eligible to apply for a work permit."

I too couldnt believe how many here advised breaking the law.

It all depends where the money has been accepted, if in the US then tax there, if in Thailand than work permit and tax here.

Remember many people come here for vacation etc. they answer business emails while they are here and it isn't illegal yet they are still doing work of sorts.

No it is illegal

If you work in Thailand you need a work permit. This also applies when your work involves the use of a computer and the Internet. However, I do not know what you are doing on the computer and even if I did know I would be unable to guess how a judge would rule on it if he were called upon to review your case and make a decision based on the Alien Working Act B.E. 2551 (2008)

What is work ????

If I go to Bo Bae and have some shirts made to sell at home is that working ?

if I buy them off a street stall is that working ?

the first one is hiring a Thai to do something , the 2nd is just buying something like going to Tesco

I think there is a lot of grey area......

and what about all the exhibitors at trade shows at Bitec etc , do they need a work permit if they work the companies booth at a trade show ?

I have no idea , but I would never admit I "worked" if I was on a tourist visa

If you work in Thailand you need a work permit. This also applies when your work involves the use of a computer and the Internet. However, I do not know what you are doing on the computer and even if I did know I would be unable to guess how a judge would rule on it if he were called upon to review your case and make a decision based on the Alien Working Act B.E. 2551 (2008)

bear in mind it may takes 3 months before a judge hears anything abou your case

you may spend this 3 months in the detention centre or if you are lucky you may be allowed to get bail

but overstayers and illegal workers are often arrested and held until deportation arrangements can be made