English camp game/activities :)

Hello my fellow Thaivisarians !

Well, I'm told by the head of English department I have to create three activities by this coming Friday. Each activity should last approximately 1hour 30mins. I was basically thrown into the deep end with no official warning or notice until the end of the school day. Apparently this year it's mandatory and the Government expects all the the local schools in the region to participate. I've joined many English camps but have never been in charge of my own activity or section (I usually participate and assist other Thai teachers).

I'm open to any ideas! The more creative the better :)

Many thanks in advance..

jeez .. you need to occupy x no of students for the whole 1.5 hours ? to keep the kids busy for 4.5 hours total. Have you got to do all of it ? or are you producing the 'camp' for other teachers.

It sounds a little like you have been well and dropped in it. Gov' directive, my a$$.

How old are the kids ? Do you have a budget ?

If you mean 3x 1.5 hour lessons back to back conducted by you, you need to think about 'producing' something .. Maybe its a presentation, a drama activity / production, a computer project, craft activity or some kind of science activity.

Hi Kirsty

Is it outdoors or indoors?

How much space is available?

How many students for each activity?

What facilities/materials do you have available?

Do you have any helpers?

The English camp will be held inside the Gymnasium which will have more than enough room for the students. I'm told 80 students will be participating. The school will supply all the materials I may need (I hope so). The Thai teacher's will be assisting, but I have to create the activities myself, as mentioned.

jeez .. you need to occupy x no of students for the whole 1.5 hours ? to keep the kids busy for 4.5 hours total. Have you got to do all of it ? or are you producing the 'camp' for other teachers.

It sounds a little like you have been well and dropped in it. Gov' directive, my <deleted>.

How old are the kids ? Do you have a budget ?

If you mean 3x 1.5 hour lessons back to back conducted by you, you need to think about 'producing' something .. Maybe its a presentation, a drama activity / production, a computer project, craft activity or some kind of science activity.

The activities will not be back to back. I have to alternate the time evenly with other foreign teachers in my department. I'm in charge of producing my own three activities, 1hr 30min for each. The teachers are divided into sections, some teacher's will teach in the morning and some in the afternoon.

If you are working in a school and you cannot create 3 activities, i suggest a change of career.

I suggest you take your troll remarks elsewhere.

Some people teach well, but don't do activities well. I've even heard that some teachers can teach English well, but struggle with subjects like Chinese.

• Like 1

If you are working in a school and you cannot create 3 activities, i suggest a change of career.

I suggest you take your troll remarks elsewhere.

Some people teach well, but don't do activities well. I've even heard that some teachers can teach English well, but struggle with subjects like Chinese.

Thank you Scott.

I have a basic idea of what I plan to do with the students, but I still wanted feedback from other teachers who have MORE experience than me regarding English game/activities.

• Like 1

Hey Kirsty,

A real good one is to use the "Five Senses". Suitable for primary, as well as high school students.Create some boards with the Five Senses on it, another one where you go into details how they're being used, etc....

Then you can create some fun games, where students have to taste -for example Somtham Lao- without being able to see what they try, etc...

What's the most important and sense for you and why? How do the sense of taste and smell work together?

How do people smell who didn't have a shower for a year? Etc.................w00t.gif

If you need some more details, please page me.

P.S. you can also send me an e-mail. Remember the guy who just recently switched schools and wanted you on that boat? ( Lol)

Wish you the best, ffjiefeg the rest.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Some good ideas I can implement into my own lesson plan!

I may have the students create a restaurant menu of their own choice.
Teach them about foods from different regions of the world (play a quiz)
divide the students into even groups and have them create a menu with a certain budge, let's say 500 bht.
encourage them create a menu that is 'visually appealing'. Provide each team with colouring pencils and A3 sheet
of paper. The team who designs the best menu wins a prize smile.png

Edited by kirstymelb101

A good one that's worked for me in the past is to have them produce a news show with individual news segments.

Set up a couple of tables and have a couple of news readers itemise each story.

You can give them hints on particular news topics:

• A boy band is coming to town.
  • Freak weather issues.
  • Motorbike accident.

Small groups can act out each item with the main news readers holding things together.

Gives them plenty of scope to be creative.

This works particularly well if you can arrange for a teacher to add sound effects with a microphone.

Hi Kirsty

Is it outdoors or indoors?

How much space is available?

How many students for each activity?

What facilities/materials do you have available?

Do you have any helpers?

The English camp will be held inside the Gymnasium which will have more than enough room for the students. I'm told 80 students will be participating. The school will supply all the materials I may need (I hope so). The Thai teacher's will be assisting, but I have to create the activities myself, as mentioned.

Sorry, as I didn't read this post before. If you can make it happen to use a projector, you'd make some fantastic stuff. I've got some programs, for example " short and long vowel sounds", a program with cartoon characters, explaining most of the stuff, then some funny games at the end, where kids are actively involved, have fun and you're doing less talking.

Whatever you're planning, keep it funny. Cheers

I just hit the wrong key and accidentally erased a long answer blink.png . So here's a quick synopsis: 1. Divide the kids into groups and have them create restaurants. They will have to make a sign, create Menus and write (if able) a role play. Then they can set up some tables and chairs and take turns being customers and servers. This can be quite simple or more complicated, depending on the student's abilities.

2. Divide the students into groups. Each group has to write 10 questions about English, Math, Science, etc. and ask another group those questions. Set it up like a game show and keep score.

3. Talent show - just make sure that you have a decent sound system and maybe the lyrics from some popular songs - like the Frozen one

• Like 1

My last English camp was fairly successful, the most popular activity was called 1 baht and half baht.

More of a maths style game but very enjoyable.

All of the boys are half baht and the girls are 1 baht.

Ask them to walk around the room in a circle and then call out a random number - 7 baht for example.

They then need to make a group that equates to that total.

The kids who are left out of the groups are out, and so on, it sounds crap, but really works as an ice breaker smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Another "good" activity would be the "Who am I", "What am I" " How do I feel" game. All you need is two chairs, a hat and a few card boards.

Trying to explain that using by emotions as an example.Wrap a scarf, or anything similar around one participant's eyes that he/she can't see, then let the second student wear a hat, put a sign on it, which all the others can read, but not the blinded guy.Both are sitting on a chair.

Once you'd chosen emotions, they know that they have to find the right word through asking questions. You can give them help depending on their level of English, by for example saying that person A doesn't feel good, if the word "sad" is being used.

Then you'll offer the winner a DVD with some good English movies on it available on the Bay, as the first price.It helps to enhance their English and they love to watch cartoons, action movies, etc, depending on their age.A DVD is only four, or five baht....

You can change to occupations, people from the school, or celebrities like Thaksin and his sister.It's good fun for all involved, did it quite a few times and was always the best one.

This activity also works for adults....

Wish you good luck and Buddha's help.-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Memory overload 555

So many ideas I can incorporate into my lessons for next week...

Thanks heaps guys...

More than enough information I need...

Kirsty <3 x0x

Kirsty, I've got some DDR 2 memory sticks i don't need anymore. 2 GB will do the trick.