Hillside 4

chiang mai

I'm currently looking at investment property and somebody recently pointed me at a condominium at Hillside 4. A couple of things don't seem quite right so I'm trying to understand the complete picture, one major part of this is whether there is new building works scheduled/intended on the adjacent vacant land, anyone hear/know anything of this?

Yes this topic was raised some time ago. Apparently a new condo was to be built on the Doi Suthep side but the promoters/investors where issued with a notice to stop. There is to be some sort of environmental impact study conducted before or if they are allowed to continue.

I`ll try and find the blog..... its on/in here somewhere.

Personally I prefer the city facing side of HS4. Why? Cause its not so hot in the afternoon during the summer months.

Yes this topic was raised some time ago. Apparently a new condo was to be built on the Doi Suthep side but the promoters/investors where issued with a notice to stop. There is to be some sort of environmental impact study conducted before or if they are allowed to continue.

I`ll try and find the blog..... its on/in here somewhere.

Personally I prefer the city facing side of HS4. Why? Cause its not so hot in the afternoon during the summer months.

Defiantly the east side is cooler.

If I remember correctly there was concern over the height of the new building.

Some thing about new bylaws holding it to a certain height where as it had received approval before the bylaw was made but there had been no start on the work.

to the o/p...over the years .there is always loads for sale,and loads to rent,surely red flags up for investment purposes

to buy in perhaps no more then 25.000. baht a sq metre

to rent a 45 sq metre,around 8.000.baht a month (tops for mine)

have personally known a few expats,who have resided very happily at h/side for 15 yrs and more, but they have been smart enuff to look after there own patch and do not enter the problems that occur at hillside(and other condos as well)

not my cup of tea,but each to there ownsmile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645355-new-project-next-to-hillside-4/

Long story short. Can only build ~5 story building on adjacent lot due to zoning restrictions.

This is what my friend who has lived there for years told me - although he may have said 6-8 stories. He read it from a document provided by the management that was slipped under his door. When I posted this, everyone poo pooed me.whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645355-new-project-next-to-hillside-4/

Long story short. Can only build ~5 story building on adjacent lot due to zoning restrictions.

This is what my friend who has lived there for years told me - although he may have said 6-8 stories. He read it from a document provided by the management that was slipped under his door. When I posted this, everyone poo pooed me.whistling.gif

i would have never pooed pooed you, as this peice of dirt is prime real estate,its just a matter of time when the parties concerned,(who ever) line up their duckys,and it will be bombs away,

and sadly the residents of h/side4, will just have to take it on the chin, a simarlar scenario is happening to t/hill condo right now (canal road) it has a large condo project currently being constucted right under their noses,h/side 4 will follow the same suit ,but the question is when, and how big,a very nice afternoon to allbiggrin.png

Conjecture aside the parcel next to Hillside 4 is in the red zone that allows new structures up to 15 meters which is give or take 4 to 6 stories.

The parcel in question was trying to get a zoning variance but various owners in Hillside and the residential properties on the other side hired lawyers and squashed it.

It may be possible to get a variance at some point but its going to be expensive and or take a lot of connections.

The properties over by the convention center are completely different zoning situation.

Conjecture aside the parcel next to Hillside 4 is in the red zone that allows new structures up to 15 meters which is give or take 4 to 6 stories.

The parcel in question was trying to get a zoning variance but various owners in Hillside and the residential properties on the other side hired lawyers and squashed it.

It may be possible to get a variance at some point but its going to be expensive and or take a lot of connections.

The properties over by the convention center are completely different zoning situation.

I went out to take a look today and met with the owners, confusion continues to exist in the minds of many regarding the height of the proposed structure et al but everyone appears agreed it could not be over eight floors, whatever it might be. But since the unit I was interested in occupies a much higher floor and doesn't face West, it's a none issue for me at least.

Interesting to note that the owners of the building occupy the entire 15th floor (that's one serious apartment), that's also reassuring to some degree. Additionally, several agreements that the vacant land East of the complex is owned by Phu Ping Palace and that the land West of it is owned by the Shin's, who knows what the reality of it all might be.

Over and out!

Edited by Boo
removed a dig at another poster
  • Like 1

If you want an idea of what height a structure could be built to under the current zoning without a variance then look at the yellowish building near the corner.

it was built about 4/5 years ago and zoned the same as hillside 4 adjacent lot.

You can draw your own conclusions.

post-27132-0-77855200-1400155365_thumb.j

• Like 1

I went out to take a look today and met with the owners, confusion continues to exist in the minds of many regarding the height of the proposed structure et al but everyone appears agreed it could not be over eight floors, whatever it might be. But since the unit I was interested in occupies a much higher floor and doesn't face West, it's a none issue for me at least.

Interesting to note that the owners of the building occupy the entire 15th floor (that's one serious apartment), that's also reassuring to some degree. Additionally, several agreements that the vacant land East of the complex is owned by Phu Ping Palace and that the land West of it is owned by the Shin's, who knows what the reality of it all might be.

Over and out!

Note:

If it were that all comments that simply take a dig at another poster were removed , the forum would be left with a small handful of posters, a fat lady and a lot of hope!

• Like 1

If you want an idea of what height a structure could be built to under the current zoning without a variance then look at the yellowish building near the corner.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-05-15 at 6.45.35 PM.jpg

is that the Spanish style building on the immediate left as you come around the corner from the Super Highway? i think it is. they tried desperately to rent the place out for the longest time but it appears they gave up and that it has been sitting empty for the last 4/5 years. could you imagine the stress of trying to pull in your driveway with almost no warning time for a turn signal and speeding cars coming at you from behind? no wonder they can't rent it out.

Interesting to note that the owners of the building occupy the entire 15th floor (that's one serious apartment), that's also reassuring to some degree.

^^^^^thats news on me,thks for the update

it was very common knowledge that the swimming pool on the 15th floor,maintenence etc etc was paid out of the common management fees,but the unit owners are denied accesss to use this facilitysad.png

but perhaps this may have changed toosmile.png

is that the Spanish style building on the immediate left as you come around the corner from the Super Highway? i think it is. they tried desperately to rent the place out for the longest time but it appears they gave up and that it has been sitting empty for the last 4/5 years. could you imagine the stress of trying to pull in your driveway with almost no warning time for a turn signal and speeding cars coming at you from behind? no wonder they can't rent it out.

Same building with bad parking situation. I think its been occupied however.

Just trying to provide examples of recent construction.

On the east side is Dome Residence which is 7 1/2 stories in the same zone. It looks a bit taller but might have been granted a height variance.

The issue the HS4 adjacent property is going to have is that its surrounded by many vocal and somewhat wealthy residents who will oppose variances.

It's much easier to build something with high impact zoning variance where there aren't highly motivated neighbors to oppose a project.

with respect, the build that u are referring to,was not recently constructed,but renovated a few yrs back,its been there for yonksbiggrin.png

as for the dome it was completed at a rough guess about 8 yrs ago,no boom in those times,and at a laymans stab high rise builds would have been easier smile.png to be approved

have a nice day

with respect, the build that u are referring to,was not recently constructed,but renovated a few yrs back,its been there for yonksbiggrin.png

as for the dome it was completed at a rough guess about 8 yrs ago,no boom in those times,and at a laymans stab high rise builds would have been easier smile.png to be approved

have a nice day

pretty sure Dome was built late 08

The yellow building pretty sure was new construction. Here is photo from same vantage point Feb 08

post-27132-0-36599000-1400231364_thumb.j

For reference the Karat House which is across from Hillside 4 was renovated/refaced and is above the 15 meters because it was existing. The renovation didn't increase it's height btw.

If something is refaced/renovated it usually doesn't grow in height.

• Like 1

greatly appreciate your photos and proving me incorrect and sincerely appologise for itbiggrin.png your first pic i was trying to up the la gritta rest. roof and across the road and then work on my memory bank as i dined there a thousand times and came up with the bld on the corner but surely i came up with wrong answer,have nt been that way for a long time (heavy traffic)but will have a capt cook next time to clear my bearings uplaugh.png as for the dome my number was a rough guess,what a difference the landscape in 6 yrs make when viewing your pics,perhaps i will be sprouting daisys smile.png but it will be wall to wall h/rises on bothsides of this drag, could nt put enuff money on it,again ,thks for your time and effort,biggrin.png

nice one cobra, take a bowsmile.png and a very nice evening to all,and remember its a great life if you don t weakenlaugh.png