Potential New Driving Permit Procedures?

Thanyaburi Mac

This just in from another forum. Anyone seen this elsewhere?

Mac

New Driving Licence Policies Announced by Department of Land Transport

CityNews - The Chiang Mai Department of Land Transport (DLT) announced A New Process for getting Driver licenses in Thailand, and Beginning on 1. st June in 2014, stricter rules Will be in Effect for those Wishing to obtain Driving licenses.

Mr. Charnchain Kelapaeng, Director of Chiang Mai DLT, told reporters that new drivers will have to go through 4 hours of intense lectures, and that those who wish to renew their 5-year licence will need to attend a one-hour class. Those who are getting their 5-year licence for the first time won't need to take this class.

Another important change is that the DLT will only issue 120 new licences in a day. New drivers who can't attend class on the same day will have to make appointments for one of the following days and come back to attend the class. The Current to improve processes, Chiang Mai The DLT has been working with Educational Institutions Who Will help provide Classess under The DLT's Standards Beginning on June 1. st .

"The new exam for new drivers will have 50 questions. Drivers need to score 90% or 45 questions right and above to pass. The old exam had 30 questions with a 75% passing grade (23 questions correct). The new exam has been updated to fit international driving standards for foreign drivers as well. The stricter policies are aimed to make drivers pay more attention during class and the written exam to reduce the number of traffic accidents. "Said Charnchai.

and that those who wish to renew their 5-year licence will need to attend a one-hour class

does that mean watching a 1 hour safety video ?....some traffic departments are already doing this, I had to sit through this my last 5 year renewal

and that those who wish to renew their 5-year licence will need to attend a one-hour class

does that mean watching a 1 hour safety video ?....some traffic departments are already doing this, I had to sit through this my last 5 year renewal

Was it in English?

Who knows it seems to be different for every case,i only had to do the eye test,colour test etc,some of my freinds had to do the computer test,some had to do the test and lecture,i was told two different things by two different clerks on various visits,lucky my next one will be a five year,i can bear a one hour video,but for falangs they may brush the rule .as unless it has english subtitles what is the point,the best bet anyway is go at 3.30pm on friday afternoon,they just want to finish the week and get home and not muck around with some falang who they recognise is a far better driver than any Thai,this was my wife's cunning plan when i got my licence.

Was it in English?

Mine was in Thai with eng subtitles as far as can recall

Was it in English?

Mine was in Thai, for the little bit of attention I paid to it, but used the time productively answering work emails on my tablet...whistling.gif

but must have been ok, I must have passed, they give me a new 5 year DL...biggrin.png

• Like 1

What's the use of tougher tests if the staff are still allowed to "sell" The license....

If anything, this will just make more people pay for a pass than take the risk of failing a "difficult" test

Loss of face and all that..... The money would be better spent on a system that forces out the corrupt staff in the testing places but pigs will fly before anyone suggests that Option

When renewing my 5 year for another 5 years about a year ago, the video and the color/reaction tests took over an hour - maybe this is what they are referring to?

Was it the good family/bad neighbor soap opera one? If so i may try to renew mine earlier.

Sent from my LG-P970

Got my first 1 year licences last week. Colour test, no reaction test as machine was broken then in for four hours of videos in Thai. Got called out of video room after 10 minutes and everything else was signed off. Paid 380 baht, had picture taken and licences were issued.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What's the use of tougher tests if the staff are still allowed to "sell" The license....

If anything, this will just make more people pay for a pass than take the risk of failing a "difficult" test

Loss of face and all that..... The money would be better spent on a system that forces out the corrupt staff in the testing places but pigs will fly before anyone suggests that Option

when was the last time you had a Thai DL ?...if you ever had one ?.....the days of bunging someone in the traffic department to give you a DL are long gone with the electronic/credit card type system in place

When Mrs S took her full driving test, she failed some of the written questions, by 2 I it was, and like all good Thai's she "offered a consideration" and was told "cannot not", even the Ex-copper was teaching her to drive phoned the department and he used to deal with them when he was copper to "smooth things" over...and was told the same thing "cannot"

She went back a second time and passed, problem solved

No one is disputing that you used to be able to put a few bob on the table and walk out with a DL, but from what I have seen, these days have ended

when was the last time you had a Thai DL ?...if you ever had one ?.....the days of bunging someone in the traffic department to give you a DL are long gone with the electronic/credit card type system in place

When Mrs S took her full driving test, she failed some of the written questions, by 2 I it was, and like all good Thai's she "offered a consideration" and was told "cannot not", even the Ex-copper was teaching her to drive phoned the department and he used to deal with them when he was copper to "smooth things" over...and was told the same thing "cannot"

No one is disputing that you used to be able to put a few bob on the table and walk out with a DL, but from what I have seen, these days have ended

Agree Soutpeel,when i went to hand over the medical report in the envelope the girl clerk told me i had to open the envelope and hand her the letter,i also noted cctv cameras in the place,when i went to renew my road tax,there was a supervisor,stalking along behind the row of clerks at their desks,scrutinising what they were doing,as you say the days of buying a licence are over,and that can only be a good thing,however the driving test itself is pretty useless,go round cones etc,park near the curb,but due to the madness on the roads,i cannot see it happening,nor do i think it would be a good idea to take the test like in the Uk or Australia,out on the open road.

however the driving test itself is pretty useless,go round cones etc,park near the curb,but due to the madness on the roads,i cannot see it happening,nor do i think it would be a good idea to take the test like in the Uk or Australia,out on the open road.

Yes of course the actual driving test leaves a lot to be desired and I know I am generalizing, but been driving here for over 12 years and "Thai's" do lack "road sense" the most part...biggrin.png

i have a licence now valid until 2018 but i didnt need to pay for it ,got 29/30 in the test

the one question i got wrong was "if there is a war ,am i allowed to drive an army tank on the road ?"

i said no but the answer was strangely "yes i am " :D

my gfs sister drives a fortuner and she bought hers so i assume

they are still buyable

she cant even park the f ucking thing so she gets security to park it everywhere she goes