Best Option to Stay Here Until End of Year?

Hi all,

I'm here with my Thai partner (de facto) on the last legs of my Non Imm O (based on our Thai son), which was granted in Sydney last year (I'm Australian).

We are currently awaiting a decision on her application for a permanent visa for Australia, which we expect to have sometime between September and the end of the year. Hopefully it will be the right decision and the three of us will leave Thailand together.

I must leave Thailand on or before 26th May. My plan was to just fly to KL every month and return to Thailand on visa exempt entry until we all leave for Oz. Now, I realise that this plan will have to change. I have a flight booked for and returning on the 26th, which I still plan to use.

I have previously had 6 Tourist, 2 Non Imm B and 1 Non Imm O visas, and a few Visa Exempt entries in the last five years.

Any thoughts?: - 3 or 4 back to back Tourist Visas a viable option?

- Visa friendly consulates?

- Non Imm O (I'm just short of 400k)?

- ???

I really don't want to go back to Sydney now. Winter's just starting.

Thanks for any ideas wai.gif

Are you the legal father of you child by way of legitimization? If not a one year extension of stay or a multiple entry non-o is not possible.

Have you done the absolute last entry of your visa yet. You can do one just before the visa expires and get a new entry.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your child from any type of entry at immigration.

Since you have not made any other visa exempt entries you will not have a problem doing your next one. Then you could get the 60 day extension to visit your child.

After that you could go out for a tourist visa or a single entry non-o visa to visit your child. You could get a total of 5 months out a single entry non-o by getting the 60 day extension..

• Like 1

Are you the legal father of you child by way of legitimization? If not a one year extension of stay or a multiple entry non-o is not possible.

Have you done the absolute last entry of your visa yet. You can do one just before the visa expires and get a new entry.

You can get a 60 day extension to visit your child from any type of entry at immigration.

Since you have not made any other visa exempt entries you will not have a problem doing your next one. Then you could get the 60 day extension to visit your child.

After that you could go out for a tourist visa or a single entry non-o visa to visit your child. You could get a total of 5 months out a single entry non-o by getting the 60 day extension..

Thanks Ubonjoe,

I'm recorded on his birth certificate as the father and he has my surname. Is "legitimisation" a separate legal process which has to be done?

My last entry was made the day before visa expired (26th Feb).

Can I apply for an extension at any time, and will it give 60 days from "admitted until" date? (as opposed to application date).

Thanks Ubonjoe,

I'm recorded on his birth certificate as the father and he has my surname. Is "legitimisation" a separate legal process which has to be done?

My last entry was made the day before visa expired (26th Feb).

Can I apply for an extension at any time, and will it give 60 days from "admitted until" date? (as opposed to application date).

Your name on the birth certificate does not make you the legal father. See: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

Since you are in Udon you should should make a trip to Vientiane for the single entry non-o. You can easily get it there without being the legal father of your child.

I honestly do not understand why foreigners do not just get a REAL visa and skip all this visa running.

If a person already will be out of the country, why not apply for a real visa while out?

My previous 9 visas were "real". I didn't realise that there was an option to get a fake one.

Vientiane is the best option for you if you are looking for a tourist visa, however, I recently went to Savanaket at was the easiest visa I ever obtained. Looked at the first document and said collect your passport tomorrow.

I distinguish the 30 day visa EXEMPTION entry permit from a "real visa" because the visa exemption is just that, an exemption, not a real visa.

I honestly do not understand why foreigners do not just get a REAL visa and skip all this visa running.

If a person already will be out of the country, why not apply for a real visa while out?

My previous 9 visas were "real". I didn't realise that there was an option to get a fake one.

Vientiane is the best option for you if you are looking for a tourist visa, however, I recently went to Savanaket at was the easiest visa I ever obtained. Looked at the first document and said collect your passport tomorrow.

------------------------

Yes I agree that probably his best bet is Savanaket as the most friendly choice with Vientianne the second choice as the closest.

It's a tossup, but if I were doing it myself, I'd go for Savanakhet first just because of it's reputation as the most friendly right now.

Edited by IMA_FARANG