Palm trees on 5 rai want to remove Palm trees

Hi

I have 5 rai of palm trees age of the trees are about 18 years old .

I don't need the money so my wife asked me what we should do with the land and I told her that we could remove the trees for a few years and allow the soil to come back.

This is in the south of Thailand .

Any opinions from other farang farmers the Thais think I am crazy for wanting to let the land sit .

I know farmers in Canada do that to allow the land to come back .

Are the trees no longer producing? Or it's just become a hassle? I can see the locals thai's perspective.

What is your long term plan for the land?

I think that you could speed up the land reclamation product by panting green manure crops and tilling them in. Or remove the trees as you say and start farming other crops on a crop rotation plan.

I had 8 old palm trees removed from around our house.because they were an absolute mess & created a bigger mess around them with their fronds & nuts. These trees were about half meter diameter & 7+ meters tall. We paid 5000 baht each to have them cut down & hauled away. Unfortunately, they used chain saws & didn't remove the stumps.

Shop around for prices for removal as I feel I paid too much. However, I have read that the wood is tough on saws, & there is little market for the wood. In your case, it would be easier to bulldoze them down.

I had 8 old palm trees removed from around our house.because they were an absolute mess & created a bigger mess around them with their fronds & nuts. These trees were about half meter diameter & 7+ meters tall. We paid 5000 baht each to have them cut down & hauled away. Unfortunately, they used chain saws & didn't remove the stumps.

Shop around for prices for removal as I feel I paid too much. However, I have read that the wood is tough on saws, & there is little market for the wood. In your case, it would be easier to bulldoze them down.

You most certainly did pay too much.

I had an old palm and another 8 metre tree 'dug out' and taken away for 1,200 Baht. There may have been some value in wood in the other tree to offset the cost.

You most certainly did pay too much.

I had an old palm and another 8 metre tree 'dug out' and taken away for 1,200 Baht. There may have been some value in wood in the other tree to offset the cost.

maybe you got ripped off also....if they dug them out....then they are reselling them for a nice price

• Like 1

Get a big excavator and dig them out roots and all that is you best option . That way you remove the root ball and all . Then plant a green manure crop straight away ,if you can get gypsum or lime spread about 1 tonne along with about 5 tonne of chicken manure , when the crop is about 30- 40 cm high plough back in , leave for six weeks and if you can get molasses spray 20 l over the area or even 50 kgs of sugar is good before you plough back in . Using sugar or molasses helps break down the green crop and promotes the biology in the soil . Then you should have a healthy soil to grow anything in .

• Like 2

This may be a crazy thought but why not let some of the locals look after the trees and sell the produce with them providing you with a cut of the profits.

You will become a hero to someone especially if you let the younger crowd look after it.

If you are going to reclaim the land then I assume you are going to farm it.

Am I wrong???

Ouch!

blink.png

I never paid for removing trees from my land because I gave the wood...

And each time, I received some money...

For some big trees, workers gave me 2,500 THB (per wild tree) ...to 5,000 THB (per Teck)...

I would like to ask the OP how he came to own 5 rai of land and managed to become a farmer in the South of Thailand?

If the OP is conducting all his business legitimately here in Thailand, than fine, but if not, than this is one of the main reasons why the visa regulations are tightening up for all the ex-pats living here.

I would like to ask the OP how he came to own 5 rai of land and managed to become a farmer in the South of Thailand?

If the OP is conducting all his business legitimately here in Thailand, than fine, but if not, than this is one of the main reasons why the visa regulations are tightening up for all the ex-pats living here.

I suggest we behave like gentlemen on here and give the other posters the benfit of the doubt. I also doubt that problems with back to back tourist visa abusers have anything remotely to do with this situation.

You are running on a misconception. It is because of the illegal land and property financial backers using Thai upfront names and the illegal business owners many who are contravening the prohibited professions acts for foreigners that I and many like me are placed under more scrutiny here and it is the illegal workers that is one of the main reasons for the now restrictions on visa runners.

In order to assist the OP with his inquiry all I have done is asked him a simple couple questions, how does a farang manage to own 5 rai of land and become a farmer in Thailand? His answer maybe a help to others who are considering purchasing land and working in agriculture here.

I suggest we behave like gentlemen on here and give the other posters the benfit of the doubt. I also doubt that problems with back to back tourist visa abusers have anything remotely to do with this situation.

You are running on a misconception. It is because of the illegal land and property financial backers using Thai upfront names and the illegal business owners many who are contravening the prohibited professions acts for foreigners that I and many like me are placed under more scrutiny here and it is the illegal workers that is one of the main reasons for the now restrictions on visa runners.

In order to assist the OP with his inquiry all I have done is asked him a simple couple questions, how does a farang manage to own 5 rai of land and become a farmer in Thailand? His answer maybe a help to others who are considering purchasing land and working in agriculture here.

No. You have done absolutely nothing to help the OP with his inquiry. Your line of questioning is baiting and off topic.

• Like 2

fallow land

fallow land, cropland that is not seeded for a season; it may or may not be plowed. The land may be cultivated or chemically treated for control of weeds and other pests or may be left unaltered. Allowing land to lie fallow serves to accumulate moisture in dry regions (see dry farming) or to check weeds and plant diseases. As a method of restoring productivity,rotation of crops is now preferred to fallowing, which is considered wasteful of humus and nitrogen.

Read more: fallow land | Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/science/fallow-land.html#ixzz325msl8dk

You know already that the OP doesn't own the land...

Like a great deal of us living out here with a family, we have land in our wifes name for family use.

This has absolutely nothing to do with visa crack downs and you are fully aware of that.

Go and troll on the Western food forum or something..

• Like 2

http://esask.uregina.ca/entry/summerfallow.html

I would research more on crop rotation as a method of reclaiming your land....if it needs it. Fallowing may be good, but not too often or for too long. You'll still need to control weeds. The above link is some information on fallowing straight out of Canada as you did refer to the practices of Canadian farmers.

If you have 5 rai of palm, you will have about 115 trees on it. The wood is not good for much except letting rot and the nutrients pass back into the soil. You could do that job in a long day with an experienced excavator operator. Should cost you between 20-30,000 baht. A medium sized excavator with blade will push the trees over after they have been pruned of most of their fronds. It will then chop up the trunks with the blade into thin discs and spread over the ground to rot. Within a year or so most of the remains will have rotted into the ground and returned all the nutrients into the soil.

Can I ask why you want to remove the palms? Oil palm is a good money making crop. Your trees are only 18 years. They probably have another 7 years of good fruit production left before they become too tall to harvest easily. You could reasonably expect 16 metric tonnes of fruit to be harvested in one year. At a conservative average price of 4 baht/kg you could receive 64k baht. If you generously gave half of that to a harvesting team to prune/maintain your trees and harvest every 15-30 days you would make 32k without getting out of bed. That's a few extra beers for you. Try making that without raising a sweat on 5 rai with any other crop?

In the end, it is simply none of your business. Nothing good would come out of your posting tactic, why can't you see that?

You know already that the OP doesn't own the land...

Like a great deal of us living out here with a family, we have land in our wifes name for family use.

This has absolutely nothing to do with visa crack downs and you are fully aware of that.

Go and troll on the Western food forum or something..

Then you are a law breaker and if this also pertains to the OP than he is asking advice about dealing with a plot of land that he is not under the law entitled to own. I do not know if the OP legally owns the said land or whether he is an agricultural worker contravening the prohibited professions acts for foreigners in Thailand as he has not responded to my questions.

Like a great deal of us living out here with a family, we have land in our wife`s name for family use.

Like of great deal of farangs living out here with a family, you are abusing the systems and are law breakers, this you admit in your own words, plus many are openly flaunting this fact believing that no one will notice. I would suggest that you and other law breakers like you try to keep a low profile other than announcing your exploits on Thai visa as if it`s perfectly acceptable to break the laws in Thailand.

It is of no wonder that the authorities are clamping down so heavily on the illegals here and have no doubts that eventually we all all pay the price.

Sorry pal, but you have no argument and no case to justify, you are either breaking the law or you are not, which in some extreme cases are eligible to be deported and the said illegally own land and real estate can be confiscated by the Thai authorities.

The OP does not own the land and therefore not doing business so what are you going on about. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with farming or visas for folks living in the country. Please give me one solid example of the government having a problem with a farang fronting farm land or when the government has said anything official on the subject.

22 years ago a Thai woman couldn’t buy land unless she could show she was able to buy it on her own and without the help of a foreigner. That law changed a while back so it would be easier for farangs to front the purchase of property. Then the government implemented the yellow book that gives farangs the right of habitation. In other words the wife cannot kick the farang out of the house which she owns. This encourages the purchase of land and building of houses. You are the one with a misconception.

When we went to sell our Teak, my wife had to wait for me to come home and I had go to the forestry office to tell them I was ok with my wife selling the teak. I have had my house in Thailand 20 years (I still don’t have a yellow book). I spent one full year and did visa runs. I worked several years and had a work permit and paid taxes. I can’t remember how many times I have been in and out. I have had one overstay of a couple of days and I have never had any problems. So what scrutiny are you being placed under and how is that a problem if you are not doing anything wrong. Can you give one concrete example of someone living on a farm following all of the rules having a problem?

I understand that you feel you have a problem of some sort, but please make sure you know what you are talking about before setting your problem in the context of farming in Thailand. We are not experiencing the problem of which you speak. Please take you fear mongering to another more appropriate forum.

• Like 1

The OP does not own the land and therefore not doing business so what are you going on about. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with farming or visas for folks living in the country. Please give me one solid example of the government having a problem with a farang fronting farm land or when the government has said anything official on the subject.

22 years ago a Thai woman couldn’t buy land unless she could show she was able to buy it on her own and without the help of a foreigner. That law changed a while back so it would be easier for farangs to front the purchase of property. Then the government implemented the yellow book that gives farangs the right of habitation. In other words the wife cannot kick the farang out of the house which she owns. This encourages the purchase of land and building of houses. You are the one with a misconception.

When we went to sell our Teak, my wife had to wait for me to come home and I had go to the forestry office to tell them I was ok with my wife selling the teak. I have had my house in Thailand 20 years (I still don’t have a yellow book). I spent one full year and did visa runs. I worked several years and had a work permit and paid taxes. I can’t remember how many times I have been in and out. I have had one overstay of a couple of days and I have never had any problems. So what scrutiny are you being placed under and how is that a problem if you are not doing anything wrong. Can you give one concrete example of someone living on a farm following all of the rules having a problem?

I understand that you feel you have a problem of some sort, but please make sure you know what you are talking about before setting your problem in the context of farming in Thailand. We are not experiencing the problem of which you speak. Please take you fear mongering to another more appropriate forum.

What an absolute total and complete load of dribble and btw, no need to shout.

How do you know if the OP owns the land or not ? He hasn`t said ya or na on the subject.

Do you seriously believe that the Thai authorities changed the laws of a farang`s Thai wife`s ownerships rights to land and property so it could be more convenient and a loophole for their Western husbands to illegally own real estate and land behind the scenes? Can you be really serious?

The yellow book does not give farangs automatic rights to habitation nor does it give them any rights to ownerships more than anyone else if not going via the correct channels.

I am not fear mongering only stating the facts for the benefit of any newbies that have no idea of their rights regarding the ownerships or real estate and land and working in Thailand and also that there could be serious consequences for those who start getting involved with land and property speculating here, including illegal farming and practices, which according to many posts appears to be rather wide spread.

As for what are the actual rules and laws concerning Westerners plonking themselves in Thailand, I suggest you do your own research and this applies to others considering making investments, doing business and working in Thailand.

If the trees are coconut trees, I would think they would be quite valuable and people would pay you for the lumber. Coconut lumber if allowed to try out is quite good. There are houses on Koh Samui that were built over 100 years ago of Coconut wood and are still standing. After it dries it is quite hard, just try pounding a nail into it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What an absolute total and complete load of dribble and btw, no need to shout.

I agree fully, everything you daid was dribble. I wasn't shouting, I do my posts in Word and then cut and paste

How do you know if the OP owns the land or not ? He hasn`t said ya or na on the subject.

There is no way he could buy 5 rai of land with palm on it. It is not possible.

Do you seriously believe that the Thai authorities changed the laws of a farang`s Thai wife`s ownerships rights to land and property so it could be more convenient and a loophole for their Western husbands to illegally own real estate and land behind the scenes? Can you be really serious?

Of course I believe it, can you offer a more logical reason for the change in the law?

The yellow book does not give farangs automatic rights to habitation nor does it give them any rights to ownerships more than anyone else if not going via the correct channels.

It's purpose is to make sure farangs are not kicked out of homes their wives own. Of course they must have a valid marriage or retirement visa. I never said it gave any rights of ownership. What do you think the purpose is?

I am not fear mongering only stating the facts for the benefit of any newbies that have no idea of their rights regarding the ownerships or real estate and land and working in Thailand and also that there could be serious consequences for those who start getting involved with land and property speculating here, including illegal farming and practices, which according to many posts appears to be rather wide spread.

You are fear mongering and you have not answered any of my questions regarding specific events. Give your examples or go away. You only state your fears.........fear mongering.

As for what are the actual rules and laws concerning Westerners plonking themselves in Thailand, I suggest you do your own research and this applies to others considering making investments, doing business and working in Thailand.

I am all in favor of everyone doing their own research. What makes you think anyone on this forum has not done their homework before plonking down a lot of money on farm land. I know I have done my research and 22 years here has confirmed what I learned in my research.

Before you jump back on here and post, just consider the possibility that you have limited true knowledge. I am not saying you are not smart, I am saying that your sources may be biased and/or incomplete. I believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see. I don't know everything about the problems you are concerned with, but I know about having land and living in the country. Everything you have said is opinion with no factual or experiential support. If you get some, please start a new post.....This one is about reclaiming land.

To the op: If the land is very steep, be careful about erosion if you clear it. Also, consider testing the soil to see if it is suitable for whatever you have planed.

• Like 1