Senate, Suthep's big hope to topple govt

webfact

NATION ANALYSIS
Senate, Suthep's big hope to topple govt

Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

30233952-01_big.jpg?1400454161898
Red shirts continue descending on Utthayan Road in Nakhon Pathom yesterday to support the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship

PDRC's final battle will try to create a political vacuum to achieve its goal

BANGKOK: -- The People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) and the Senate are obviously adopting the strategy of "take separate paths but join forces in the attack" in a bid to reach a common goal - install an interim government which is fully functional and led by a prime minister with full authority.

Although PDRC chief Suthep Thaugsuban appears to be disappointed with the Senate for failing to immediately nominate a PM when it reconvened last week, he still believes the Senate is the only legitimate organisation left to fulfil his group's desire of unseating the government.

Senator Kamnoon Sitthisamarn's recent Facebook comment could be interpreted to mean that the Senate is waiting for the situation to be become even more ripe before calling a session to nominate a new PM.

The Senate boldly declared last week that it was ready to call a session to select the new PM if the situation merited it.

The upper House avoided using the word "PM" based on Article 7 of the Charter, as this idea has been rejected by the government.

The Senate cannot risk committing any action that may result in senators being charged with insurrection, as pointed out by pro-government groups, if they proceed with the installation of an interim government while the caretaker government is still functioning.

Legal experts are split over whether the Senate has the authority to nominate a PM. This may need a Constitutional Court ruling.

Besides, acting Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboonlertchai is still awaiting royal endorsement to legally serve as president of the upper House.

The scenarios cited by the Senate that could lead to a political vacuum are the remaining caretaker Cabinet members resigning and the general election not being held due to legal issues such as a disagreement between the Election Commission and the caretaker government.

In the PDRC's final battle plan, declared by Suthep on Saturday, the group is apparently resorting to actions that it hopes will bring about a political vacuum by next Monday.

Suthep vowed to dispatch teams to force the remaining 25 Cabinet members to resign. He called on his supporters to locate the ministers and urge them to resign.

"If you see them, even at the airport or any street, please tell them to submit their resignation for the sake of the country,'' he said.

The State Enterprise Workers Relations Confederation, the PDRC's main ally, reportedly plans to cut off basic infrastructure in targeted spots.

Suthep called on bureaucrats and ministry officials who are PDRC supporters to demonstrate civil disobedience and called a meeting of retired top officials to seek their support in uprooting the Thaksin regime.

He said he would surrender to police to face charges, including murder charges over the 2010 deadly crackdown on red shirts, if the PDRC didn't achieve victory by next Monday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-19

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards the end of 2010 Thais I've known intimately for many years started saying openly to me that Thailand on its trajectory was going to end up "kaput." Many of the Thais I've known longest and the best say this. I asked them back then if the former LOS can change its trajectory and, if so, how and in what ways. My intimate Thai friends looked at me and blinked. They still blink. They still only blink but with a greater pain in their eyes than before.

I tell them that if that's their attitude, then they are suicidal. They concede my point and concur. Thailand will go kaput and Thailand is well into the process of becoming kaput. I ask what that means and they shrug. They are genuine.

Thais don't know how to win. So they win by losing. They did it against the Burmese twice in the second millennium from Sukhothai to Ayutthaya and then on to Bangkok. As a point of opposite perspective, Washington DC and Bangkok were founded at the same time in history. Recall Suthep vowed to eject the Shinawatras from Thailand if it takes him to his death to do it, which we know is the Thai way to say, well, to the death. Cheerful, these people.

The Thais will fight the current and ongoing fight until the other guy loses. Trouble is, Thais don't know how to win. Indeed, neither side is winning. The bottom line is that neither side can win for losing so each side will lose. Both sides are cooked - there isn't a winner here. Thais are poor to articulate this in any way, shape or form. They just sense it in their bones.

Kaput
  • Like 1

This is Thailand

The country that all western men want to live in

because it does not have the laws and rules of there own countries they cam from

why are you all complaining you are here of your own choice, and can leave any time you want

Time for you all to understand this is thailand

and be like a willow tree

BEND WITH THE WIND

• Like 2

This is Thailand

because it does not have the laws and rules of there own countries they cam from

why are you all complaining you are here of your own choice, and can leave any time you want

BEND WITH THE WIND

My concern is that you mean for us to bend over.

You're one of the leaders of Suthep's Purge Patrol.

2014, the year of living dangerously.

Edited by Publicus

The best argument for a fully elected senate seems to the senate itself. These self serving appointed dinosaurs have the potential to destroy Thailand

It was the same in the 2000's when the ostensibly non-partisan fully elected Senate was in Thaksin's pocket.

Making them elected changes nothing.

This is Thailand

BEND WITH THE WIND

Chalerm's wild paratroopers couldn't drag me away.

Redshirts

The Countrys big hope to INSTANTLY bring down anything the PDRC and their partners in the Senate can put in place to try grab power.

Bet it would not take 6 months to bring down an appointed PM

Other nation headline screaming, final push for vacuum.

I think Voranai's opinion piece in yesterday's Bkk Post was quite illuminating, hinting at the levels the country is split. One line is thought provoking: "One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is finite." Applies to both sides the way he writes.

It maybe the rules that govern the senate that get in the way of the senate legally appointing a new PM. The senate being a house of revue may not have the power to appoint a PM or to constitute a new government.

In the PDRC's final plan, declared by Suthep on Saturday, the group is apparently resorting to actions that it hopes will bring about a political vacuum by next Monday.

Is this the final plan or just a sub-semi-prelim-final plan

Redshirts

The Countrys big hope to INSTANTLY bring down anything the PDRC and their partners in the Senate can put in place to try grab power.

Bet it would not take 6 months to bring down an appointed PM

Other nation headline screaming, final push for vacuum.

Unfortunately you might be right, and only because the redshirts seem to be much less reluctant to use force and threats to make other people do what they want them to do. I might rephrase your statement and say that the redshirts are thailands big hope to bring a violent civil war.

The best argument for a fully elected senate seems to the senate itself. These self serving appointed dinosaurs have the potential to destroy Thailand and have already played their part in turning Thailand's political system into the laughing stock of ASEAN and the developed world.

Are you still crying over the Senate not White Washing your leader in Dubai?

• Like 1

Towards the end of 2010 Thais I've known intimately for many years started saying openly to me that Thailand on its trajectory was going to end up "kaput." Many of the Thais I've known longest and the best say this. I asked them back then if the former LOS can change its trajectory and, if so, how and in what ways. My intimate Thai friends looked at me and blinked. They still blink. They still only blink but with a greater pain in their eyes than before.

I tell them that if that's their attitude, then they are suicidal. They concede my point and concur. Thailand will go kaput and Thailand is well into the process of becoming kaput. I ask what that means and they shrug. They are genuine.

Thais don't know how to win. So they win by losing. They did it against the Burmese twice in the second millennium from Sukhothai to Ayutthaya and then on to Bangkok. As a point of opposite perspective, Washington DC and Bangkok were founded at the same time in history. Recall Suthep vowed to eject the Shinawatras from Thailand if it takes him to his death to do it, which we know is the Thai way to say, well, to the death. Cheerful, these people.

The Thais will fight the current and ongoing fight until the other guy loses. Trouble is, Thais don't know how to win. Indeed, neither side is winning. The bottom line is that neither side can win for losing so each side will lose. Both sides are cooked - there isn't a winner here. Thais are poor to articulate this in any way, shape or form. They just sense it in their bones.

Kaput

Well there is some truth in what you say. In 2010 the Thai's set them selves on a dangerous path when they did not completely crush the red shirts.

It just occurred to me they have a sitting interim Prime Minister who was not elected by them. Why are they not calling for him to step down? They did for Abhist. Double standards I guess. All is possible when you receive your paycheck from Thaksin Shinawatra and do the bidding of him and his clan.

Let the fascist Suthep has his last hurrah before spend jail time. The caretaker government will not bow to him neither are the Reds. They keep re-cycling their allies and plans. Same old face Komsan, staunch Suthep lackey who called for general strike last November and not many responded and the attempt went flat. The Senate can do their song and dance but it will never get their interim PM as their act and speaker are illegal. This week will pass like any other week and by next week, Suthep will announce another Mother of all final push.

Let the fascist Suthep has his last hurrah before spend jail time. The caretaker government will not bow to him neither are the Reds. They keep re-cycling their allies and plans. Same old face Komsan, staunch Suthep lackey who called for general strike last November and not many responded and the attempt went flat. The Senate can do their song and dance but it will never get their interim PM as their act and speaker are illegal. This week will pass like any other week and by next week, Suthep will announce another Mother of all final push.

Anybody who has studied fascism would not call Suthep a fascist. It beggars belief that people use this term referring to Suthep.

I've never seen any of the rich and/or famous go to jail in Thailand, no matter how badly they deserve it. Don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

I've never seen any of the rich and/or famous go to jail in Thailand, no matter how badly they deserve it. Don't hold your breath.

and no matter from which party.....

• Like 1

It is in the interest of the country and the people of this country to be able to vote freely in an election where every candidate can campaign in every electorate without fear and every voter can vote for their choice without harassment.

Thats great ,then don't bar anyone from running , don't pick out Thaksin family or supporters and say they can't run for office. Let anyone eneter the ranks to vote and let the people decide by thier votes who they want. Too many times when 1 side doesn't like the way the voting goes namely they lost so they protest, get over it.

• Like 1

The best argument for a fully elected senate seems to the senate itself. These self serving appointed dinosaurs have the potential to destroy Thailand

It was the same in the 2000's when the ostensibly non-partisan fully elected Senate was in Thaksin's pocket.

Making them elected changes nothing.

They were elected by the people, no?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Kaput

Well there is some truth in what you say. In 2010 the Thai's set them selves on a dangerous path when they did not completely crush the red shirts.

It just occurred to me they have a sitting interim Prime Minister who was not elected by them. Why are they not calling for him to step down? They did for Abhist. Double standards I guess. All is possible when you receive your paycheck from Thaksin Shinawatra and do the bidding of him and his clan.

the interim pm was an elected Mp

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Suthep vowed to dispatch teams to force the remaining 25 Cabinet members to resign. He called on his supporters to locate the ministers and urge them to resign.

"If you see them, even at the airport or any street, please tell them to submit their resignation for the sake of the country,'' he said."

What he means is for his thugs to beat them up if they find them out in the open. Which means this is intimidation and I do believe against the law even here in thailand.

• Like 1

"...the Senate is the only legitimate organisation left to fulfil his group's desire of unseating the government."

If indeed the unelected portion of the Senate has the authority to unilaterally unseat the House whose elected ministers (whether interim or otherwise), the existence of democracy in Thailand has been a sham since the creation of the 2007 Constitution. The so-called checks and balances in actual practice over the conduct of the House and Senate do not truly exist and the unelected portion of the Senate remains the only ruling organization to determine what laws are legitimate and not legitimate; what parts of the Constitution prvail and not prevail.

While there are shortcomings in the Constitution to address modern-day issues of a still emerging democratic nation, I do not believe the Senate has such dictatoral authority over representatives of the electorate. The 2007 Constitution is fundamentally appropriate to respect the authority of the electorate and should prevail in all actions taken by the Senate. Any interpretation of the Constitution otherwise is a violation of the Constitution.

It is curious that the Constitutional Court, that has been so participatory in leading Thailand to its current state of political conflict, is not being asked by the Interim Senate Speaker for a confirmation of his interpretation of Senate authority to unseat the Government. Of course part of that lack of initiative may be due in part to the fact that the Interim Speaker himself does not yet occupy any official position until his appointment. it may also be due to the CC itself is unwilling to rule that the Senate has the authroity to unseat the elected House as then the whole constitutional monarchy collapses.

• Like 1