Dual Nationality

I have read a few things on here already regarding this but still have a few unanswered questions.

Some background: A luuk kreung born in Thailand is in the process of applying for two passports, one Thai one UK. The Thai passport has already been received.

My questions are:

1) Is there an age that the child needs to decide upon one nationality over the other?

2) How does national service in Thailand effect the child? I've heard that by the age of 20 he needs to have registered for national service to retain his Thai nationality. Is this correct?

3) If travelling to the UK and leaving Thailand on the Thai passport, does the child get stamped out of Thailand and do they need to show any proof of final destination? (Vice versa for returning).

4) Is there a time/age limit on birth registration and passport application at the British Embassy?

My comprehension was that if the child had both passports he would have no problems entering or leaving either country as he is considered to have "dual nationality".

Thanks.

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes and an air ticket will have to be shown for check-in.

4. If the relevant criteria are met, your child will automatically be a British citizen and this entitlement is never lost. There's no absolute need to register the birth at the British embassy, although it's useful as you get a British-style birth certificate. I don't know if there is a time restriction upon registering the birth, should you choose to do so.

Scouse.

Just on point 2:

if your child is male and registered in Thailand, he will technically have to report for conscription at 17 I beleive.

It can be defered by reason of pursuing higher education. Once can be exempted by having completed 3 years of cadets while at high school, or by picking the black and not red ball out of the hat.

Those who report for conscription aged 30 and above, are automatically exempted.

If your son goes to live overseas, it is highly recommended to take his name off the tabien baan, so that he is not on the radar for the conscription officials.

Doing military service should not affect his British Nationailty, though this is a matter for British law, not thai law.