Foreign licence ok here?

banagan

I read and heard different things about using foreign driving licences here. I heard that you can use a foreign licence here, heard you can't, heard you can just for the first 30 days...

Anyway, can someone please clear this up.

Is an Irish driving licence valid here? I remember an argument on here, similar, and someone pasted some law that said foreign licences were accepted.

One of my buddies from the US, says there's a big clamp down, said he got pulled over by the cops, even though he was wearing a helmet, and they wouldn't accept his US licence, fined/bribed 500 baht on the spot.

They seemed to be targeting foreigners.

I can't apply for a Thai licence right now, but plan to once I've obtained a business visa.

Helpful replies please, lets try and keep this troll free.

The usual plan of things is to get an International Driving Licence from an Automobile Association in your own country. RAC, NRMA, AA.

It's valid for 12 months, allowing you time to get a local licence as necessary.

I had an International licence which the transport office asked to see, plus my Aussie licence. I had a non-Imm O visa, and was able to get a 1 year Thai licence. After 12 months, I obtained a 5 year licence as I was on a Retirement Extension.

• Like 2

According to this website http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/ it depends on your visa - if you have a non-imm visa then you need a Thai driving licence

There is a also a note that says that although international driving licences are valid for a year, most comprehensive insurance policies are invalid after 3 months if you are still using an IDL

Never had a problem with uk licence.....actually if you are as old as me it is pink and comes in a clear plastic wallet.

When the roadside occifer asks to take a look, and starts unfolding and unfolding, and in no time he is holding a licence as big as a map.

Usually asks where my plastic licence is, to which I say I am too old but this one says I can drive a submarine and a tank.

Can't wait to wave me on.

I do have a thai plastic licence as well to confuse matters.

• Like 2

It is important that you have a proper licence in Thailand to prove you are able to drive safely to Thai safety standards. I think Thai drivers are amongst the most skilled and safety conscious in the World - be safe

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I drove with one for almost 3 years before getting a Thai licenses. I never had a problem with the BIB. I guess you don't have a problem until you do. With that said, if you have a valid foreign license and an International Driving endorsement you can get a Thai license without taking the written and driving tests. At least you could when I got mine. It might have changed. Other than that, I was never asked for an International DL.

Edited by connda

By law, your home country licence is fine for a couple of months (can't remember exactly how long).

In reality, currently you need a Thai licence or international permit. You try arguing otherwise and they aren't listening.

Your home country driving license is valid for 3 months from your first time arrival in Thailand regardless of visa type. After that you are considered as a resident in Thailand and must apply for a Thai driving license, unless you have an International driving license from the home country that is valid for 12 months from your first time arrival in Thailand.

• Like 1

Regarding getting a Thai licemce, I renewed both of mine (bike and car) yesterday and the place was packed, maybe 250-300 people in there!

New rules coming in shortly for getting a licence and Thai's are obviously trying to get a licence before the changes come in.

Interestingly, they also keep a full computerised record of every licence they have issued you over the past 5 years using your passport number to track them down.

Edited by kjhbigv

Like in most European countries, a "Tourist" in Thailand is permitted to function on his native Driver's License for a period of 6 (six) months, from the date of arrival in Thailand.

Please realize that IF you exceed that 6 month period, from midnight on-wards, on the last day, and IF you're still driving on the 'home-license', you will NOT be covered by whatever Insurance you believe you're covered by.

That this could be an extremely expensive oversight, probably does not need explaining.

Check it out; this is the law in Thailand.

facepalm.gif

If you have your foreign licence, its no hardship to get the thai licence

You need your certificate of residency, and your doctors certificate, passport details......but you don't need to do the driving test or the written exam.

The hardest part is having to sit in the queues for two hours....so my tip would be to spend it wandering around bigC