Learning Thai Language

krishnan

I Would like to have recommendations for learning Thai language (Both Written and Spoken). I live near Asok BTS on Sukumvit Road. Normally how long it takes to come to a stage where you are able to read street sign boards and to converse (I mean for a person who is good in academics wink.png )

Krishnan

Krishnan,

How long did it take you to reach the same stage in English? Long time, right? Bringing your Thai competency will be quicker because you are an adult now and not a schoolchild, but also longer because Thai is not an Indo-European language, like the other languages you know.

Self-taught, formal school, or private tutor?

Private tutor I guess. Since I am working, can spare a couple of hours during the week days in the evening and whole day on week ends. Class room is also fine since I can compare my progress with other newbies. :)

Krishnan,

How long did it take you to reach the same stage in English? Long time, right? Bringing your Thai competency will be quicker because you are an adult now and not a schoolchild, but also longer because Thai is not an Indo-European language, like the other languages you know.

Agree Capt. So any suggestions to get started?

I'd suggest having a look at Language Express. Classes are split into two- one for reading and writing, one for speaking and understanding. Works very well and the course material is pretty good.

Although if you're not talking about looking for a school then YouTube is your friend. This introductory video on learning to read by HighSpeedThai is excellent in getting the basics of reading Thai across (there's a part two to it as well).

I know a good Thai tutor in Bangkok but am not sure if she has free hours right now. She would probably be cheaper and better quality than most of the schools but you wouldn't get an Ed visa out of it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I know a good Thai tutor in Bangkok but am not sure if she has free hours right now. She would probably be cheaper and better quality than most of the schools but you wouldn't get an Ed visa out of it. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hi David,

Will be a great help, if you can let me know if she can tutor me. I am not looking for a ED visa.

Regards,

Krishnan

Unity and AAA both helped me a lot.

If you can, avoid places offering an ED visa - the course fees are more expensive to cover the visa. I remember one school near ploenchit wanting to charge me 1000 baht per hour of private lessons, what a joke.

Krishnan,

I disagree here. Languages are more easily learned earlier in life not later. As far as reading goes I would say around 3 months is adequate to read most signs. Learn 3 new characters a day and you will easily be on pace without trying to absorb too much at once. Writing is a different beast and is harder as you can read signs everywhere you go but need a certain environment to write. Also because of spelling irregularities it is more difficult to write than read.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 9 months later...

Unity Thai Language School is great. It's in the Times Square building at Asoke and they have evening classes. Attended for nearly a year and learned speaking, reading, and writing.

Unity and AAA both helped me a lot.

If you can, avoid places offering an ED visa - the course fees are more expensive to cover the visa. I remember one school near ploenchit wanting to charge me 1000 baht per hour of private lessons, what a joke.

Was wondering what the costs for the whole programme at Unity and/or AAA. Language Express @PloenChit Offers a 12 month (200 lesson) 4-level programme for around 35,000 Bhat.

Edited by meltingpot2015