Drop poll if too dangerous: Thai Army

webfact

This is all very sensible and logical.

The army can not be effective when spread across tens of thousands of polling stations, and the police are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

The most important thing to consider is that if the election process is NOT free and fair, then there will be problems and peacekeeping required at the ballot box, we already established it is not going to be easy when you have say 500 protesters at a polling station blocking it. What they going to do?... start shooting the protesters?

So the only way is to set up for free and fair elections, so there is never a need to come to a situation where an election is protested against.

It also restores democracy, up to now, Thaksin has made sure EVERY past elect he has been involved with was completely undemocratic with bullying, intimidation and vote buying/rigging.

What chance does an opposition have when one party owns the police force in its entirety?

Do I detect a whine ? a grumble ? a bleat ?

You are mistaken, Military Law is in force now, they cannot be prosecuted they are effectively untouchable by law, the army has sweeping powers and can do whatever they need to do to ensure peoples safety. They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points, they can blockades checkpoints to the polls np all that they have they can use, including the help of the police and or other forces or indeed citizens.

The RTA are more than capable of having a bloodless and seamless installing of military law they can deal with an election security in 3 mths,no problem.

Really to pretend the armed forces cant keep polling stations clear when they will know exactly where they are and can use military bases and also recruit any other groups they wish to help with 3 mths notice then it should be a doddle,

Besides there wouldnt be many polling stations to worry about only some in the south and bangkok, a bit in the central plains but none in the north would be a problem... very little concern in most areas really when you think about it...

Now come on, surely one of the major problems will be in the north and northeast.

You are only taking into account anyone actually trying to stop voting on polling day but I somehow doubt with all parties coming to agreement and taking part that will be a problem.

That will be the difficult thing to achieve as there is so much entrenched position.

One of the major problems as has been in the past is that there has been intimidation of candidates who have not been able to campaign in some electorates, in some cases for fear of their lives.

Note, this can and has happened in other parts of the country also.

Then there is the well documented intimidation, bribery and coercion of voters.

We have been through this before and I think we agree that all these things need to be addressed.

That the RTP are capable is probably correct but unfortunately in the past the will to use that capacity has not been there.

Hopefully with the army now in charge the attitude of the police can be changed to the stage when they do their job.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting advice to drop it.

Does the army fear they cannot provide security even though that is the claim they are here and their role ?

The army are responsible for security now, if they cannot arrange appropriate security for the EC and an election to protect the voters rights to caste then what use are the army or this act of martial law ?.

Come on see sense, the voters are in no state of mind to go and vote. Your expecting Thais to go and vote when the situation is like this. Again the government should NOT be included in a vote, they have violated enough during the 3 years in office --no second survival kit. get out.

If a mayor of a local town in UK cheats and violates the law he is thrown out, NOT put up for elections again.

Your bad police record is in the books for a long time---A dog is vicious it has to be put down or curtailed.

R Biggs the great train robber, when caught was not allowed to rob again.

Any politician that has a record of corruption/bad governing etc, should NEVER be allowed to stand again.

and how can you draw the conclusion that Thais don't want to have a say in how they are governed?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by srsv1238
  • Like 1

The Army should be supporting elections not trying to stop them from happening. You the Army gave their support and did something we would have elections. However, is that is real goal?

Their real and stated goal is to prevent bloodshed. Which part of this apparently simple concept don't you understand?
They can prevent bloodshed by ensuing there is a functioning government selected by the people. The army is as much responsible for the bloodshed for their inaction and their inability to maintain order. What an utter embarrassment.

Edited by srsv1238

The army can not be effective when spread across tens of thousands of polling stations, and the police are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

The most important thing to consider is that if the election process is NOT free and fair, then there will be problems and peacekeeping required at the ballot box, we already established it is not going to be easy when you have say 500 protesters at a polling station blocking it. What they going to do?... start shooting the protesters?

So the only way is to set up for free and fair elections, so there is never a need to come to a situation where an election is protested against.

It also restores democracy, up to now, Thaksin has made sure EVERY past elect he has been involved with was completely undemocratic with bullying, intimidation and vote buying/rigging.

What chance does an opposition have when one party owns the police force in its entirety?

You are mistaken, Military Law is in force now, they cannot be prosecuted they are effectively untouchable by law, the army has sweeping powers and can do whatever they need to do to ensure peoples safety. They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points, they can blockades checkpoints to the polls np all that they have they can use, including the help of the police and or other forces or indeed citizens.

The RTA are more than capable of having a bloodless and seamless installing of military law they can deal with an election security in 3 mths,no problem.

Really to pretend the armed forces cant keep polling stations clear when they will know exactly where they are and can use military bases and also recruit any other groups they wish to help with 3 mths notice then it should be a doddle,

Besides there wouldnt be many polling stations to worry about only some in the south and bangkok, a bit in the central plains but none in the north would be a problem... very little concern in most areas really when you think about it...

Now come on, surely one of the major problems will be in the north and northeast.

You are only taking into account anyone actually trying to stop voting on polling day but I somehow doubt with all parties coming to agreement and taking part that will be a problem.

That will be the difficult thing to achieve as there is so much entrenched position.

One of the major problems as has been in the past is that there has been intimidation of candidates who have not been able to campaign in some electorates, in some cases for fear of their lives.

Note, this can and has happened in other parts of the country also.

Then there is the well documented intimidation, bribery and coercion of voters.

We have been through this before and I think we agree that all these things need to be addressed.

That the RTP are capable is probably correct but unfortunately in the past the will to use that capacity has not been there.

Hopefully with the army now in charge the attitude of the police can be changed to the stage when they do their job.

How many candidates have lost their lives campaigning?

People can still campaign by radio and TV and newsprint if they don't want to do it in person

Does the army fear they cannot provide security even though that is the claim they are here and their role ?

The army are responsible for security now, if they cannot arrange appropriate security for the EC and an election to protect the voters rights to caste then what use are the army or this act of martial law ?.

Come on see sense, the voters are in no state of mind to go and vote. Your expecting Thais to go and vote when the situation is like this. Again the government should NOT be included in a vote, they have violated enough during the 3 years in office --no second survival kit. get out.

If a mayor of a local town in UK cheats and violates the law he is thrown out, NOT put up for elections again.

Your bad police record is in the books for a long time---A dog is vicious it has to be put down or curtailed.

Any politician that has a record of corruption/bad governing etc, should NEVER be allowed to stand again.

Hogwash

If you think this is hogwash----tell me why or you just do not want the truth---come on speak your on forum.

ELECTION

Drop poll if too dangerous: Army

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Election Commission (EC) secretary general Puchong Nutrawong said the Army had told him that if the next general election was likely to result in bloodshed, or would be too difficult to arrange, the EC should drop it.

Puchong was speaking after attending a meeting with Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha together with many senior bureaucrats yesterday.

Earlier, EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said the caretaker government had submitted a request to the EC asking for the general election to be postponed to August 3, from an original schedule of July 2.

Puchong said the EC would call a meeting of its own today to discuss what to do next after martial law took effect. He said he regarded the law as a tool to constitute peace and order. He said it would also be taken into consideration along with other laws regarding arrangements for the next general election.

In a message received from the government, Somchai said interim government leader Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan had also submitted requests for other conditions. They included that Niwattumrong was legitimate in operating as the interim prime minister to submit to or receive from His Majesty the King any command. Niwattumrong had also asked the EC to give a reply to his requests by Friday, said Somchai.

Somchai, speaking before the meeting between Prayuth and the senior officials, said that under the current political situation, the EC would also need to discuss the general election with the military. "Discussing the election [date] between the EC and the [caretaker] government alone would not be sufficient, without the military being involved," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-05-21

In India, voting takes place over a number of days because of logistical issues. Why not in Thailand? It was silly how elections were nullified entirely because some thugs blocked the polling booths.

• Like 1

Hogwash

If you think this is hogwash----tell me why or you just do not want the truth---come on speak your on forum.

How can you say that people don't want to vote? They do. Just let them. And frankly seeing gie one sided the judiciary is, I have no faith in that institution. They exist to serve themselves and their political masters. they are a parasite on Thai society.

I am glad the army stepped in the way it did. Since they have the power to ensure a peaceful election, they have no excuse not to hold one. If the army cancels the election, that would show that they are either supporting the minority un-democratic elite "democrats" and will appoint an unelected government of theirs, or even worse, they are not planning on even having another election, ever, in which case: hello military junta.

The Army should be supporting elections not trying to stop them from happening. You the Army gave their support and did something we would have elections. However, is that is real goal?

Don't be silly. The Army have declared martial law in the interests of peace and order.

Rushing an election through now will simply cause more tension, possible violence and lead to a government that is not accepted whoever wins.

Edited by Baerboxer

You are mistaken, Military Law is in force now, they cannot be prosecuted they are effectively untouchable by law, the army has sweeping powers and can do whatever they need to do to ensure peoples safety. They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points, they can blockades checkpoints to the polls np all that they have they can use, including the help of the police and or other forces.

the RTA are more than capable of having a bloodless and seamless installing of military law they can deal with an election security in 3 mths,no problem.

A logical commentary is all that I have provided and with zero whining, as a matter of fact I typed it with a feeling of positivity and celebration that we were now moving in a positive direction.... That comment of yours is just an attempt to flame a response and create bad feeling between members and also to undermine my right as a thaivisa member to have an opinion.

You deserve a suspension, but I will put it down to the possibility you are still feeling the effects of last nights low khao session with your red mates down the local corrugated iron hut.

The rest of your post is totally unrelated to anything I posted. Apart from maybe...

They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points

But they can't stop the people from obstructing them off their own backs or via underground movements to disrupt... The people can still turn up and block the approaches and like I said... they will shoot these people? Even if the elections went through with a massive amount of no shows and no votes, the result will be rejected, and protests will continue and we will be no further forward.

Ask yourself this.... how many polling stations?.... how many soldiers?

Doddle?????

Yes, arrest the protesters. Or arrange to hold the elections over a number of days. Or move toward mail in ballots. We should not et fascists thugs hijack thai democracy.

Having any elections with out solving the real problems of having free elections is a wast of money and time

election in name only

better to wait till free elections can be held, than rush into another biased election

In other words, we will only have elections when we can gand the system to assure that or side would win. Correct? To you, fair elections are ones where the preferred side wins. If the other side wins, than obviously the elections weren't fair.

If they decide to push ahead with elections that will fail again, make sure the PTP agree to pay for waste of taxpayer money first.

These people are ridiculous.

TVGerry, You seem to either not know or simply don't support the laws of the land.

just to put you in the picture ok,

Government was dissolved, so by LAW (not at the whim of the PTP) elections must be held within 60 days FACT weather you like it or not.

The government followed the law by holding the elections much to the dislike and illegal protesting of the EC.

YOUR hero Suthep called on his THUGS to prevent any voting by as many people as they could, Illegal FACT. so your mate should be the one who paid for the now nullified election due the law breaking intimidating bashing, beating, threatening, Suthep's attack dogs.

If Suthep followed the law (which so many here cry about the government dose't do) then there would be a government now, All of this is fact and all your winging can't change it. you can't bitch about one side not following the law and hail the other side breaking the very same country's laws.

YES there should be a new election asap and any who try to interfere should be thrown in goal.

Now you up to speed popit?

• Like 2

This is all very predictable- PDRC wont go home, army conveniently cannot hold elections because of this and will stay on in the current situation until the thing happens that this fight is really about.

Then the good army can make sure good people succeed. Voila job done.

The red shirts haven't gone home either, have they? It's the actions of the red shirts that caused the martial law.

Wrong, had the rebels not prevented Thais from voting in the Feb 2nd elections, we would have av governmentright now

It idiots like you with extreme views who propagandize every post that inflame the situation.

Rebels - you mean the freedom fighters trying to remove the corrupt ineffective inefficient Shin clan regime that's controlled by a fugitive criminal and was attempting to subvert free speech and all opposition and checks?

See, it's easy to make extreme provocative statements up. The army is trying to keep the peace, stop whoever has been attacking and murdering people and ensure a future election is trouble, intimidation and bribe free.

Makes more sense to sort things out first than keep following the same recipe.

• Like 1

If they decide to push ahead with elections that will fail again, make sure the PTP agree to pay for waste of taxpayer money first.

TVGerry, You seem to either not know or simply don't support the laws of the land.

Government was dissolved, so by LAW (not at the whim of the PTP) elections must be held within 60 days FACT weather you like it or not.

The government followed the law by holding the elections much to the dislike and illegal protesting of the EC.

YOUR hero Suthep called on his THUGS to prevent any voting by as many people as they could, Illegal FACT. so your mate should be the one who paid for the now nullified election due the law breaking intimidating bashing, beating, threatening, Suthep's attack dogs.

If Suthep followed the law (which so many here cry about the government dose't do) then there would be a government now, All of this is fact and all your winging can't change it. you can't bitch about one side not following the law and hail the other side breaking the very same country's laws.

YES there should be a new election asap and any who try to interfere should be thrown in goal.

Your understanding of Thai Law is only surpassed by you keen grasp of the complex political machinations being played out.

So where, in your summing up, do you mention all the laws the PTP administration broke?

Oh, they came from election. Can do what they want. They clearly believed that - looks like you do to.

Your understanding of Thai Law is only surpassed by you keen grasp of the complex political machinations being played out.

So where, in your summing up, do you mention all the laws the PTP administration broke?

Oh, they came from election. Can do what they want. They clearly believed that - looks like you do to.

OK where in my post about laws is wrong??? IT IS CORRECT!!! like I said all your pissing and bitching wont change that, the government held elections within the lawfully required 60 day limit, SO my understanding of this small part of Thai law is absolutely correct,

but you seem to have a problem with the facts,

Suthep and his attack dogs broke many laws by preventing people voting, FACT.

I didn't say anywhere in my post PTP administration didn't break any laws, that judgment has been made by the courts. (BIAS)

The problem is some here cry foul when one government is acting illegally and then cheer when the other side of the political fence breaks the law, I'm simply saying you cant have it both ways, either support laws or not, and don't complain when others don't follow the laws.

you ok now big fella?

They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points, they can blockades checkpoints to the polls np all that they have they can use, including the help of the police and or other forces.

A logical commentary is all that I have provided and with zero whining, as a matter of fact I typed it with a feeling of positivity and celebration that we were now moving in a positive direction.... That comment of yours is just an attempt to flame a response and create bad feeling between members and also to undermine my right as a thaivisa member to have an opinion.

You deserve a suspension...

They can order Suthep not to obstruct election points

But they can't stop the people from obstructing them off their own backs or via underground movements to disrupt... The people can still turn up and block the approaches and like I said... they will shoot these people? Even if the elections went through with a massive amount of no shows and no votes, the result will be rejected, and protests will continue and we will be no further forward.

Ask yourself this.... how many polling stations?.... how many soldiers?

Doddle?????

Have to agree with Civil War on both counts.

Prayuth knows he can't hold elections the people if they wish to get involved; just as Calerm's elite paratroopers couldn't arrest the Indian when simple people rushed from the comfort of their homes and into the streets to fight against injustice.

With regards to the flaming matter: It's time the mods seriously address this with extreme prejudice. There is no need for all the name-calling and insults. Such behavior undermines a very good forum.

it will be interesting to see where it goes i doubt the PDRC and co would attempt to disrupt an election under the gaze of the army. .

It may very well be beyond the PDRC at this point; Suthep has made people feel empowered.

This is all very predictable- PDRC wont go home, army conveniently cannot hold elections because of this and will stay on in the current situation until the thing happens that this fight is really about.

The red shirts haven't gone home either, have they? It's the actions of the red shirts that caused the martial law.

28 people dead in 6 months is the reason for martial law? Behave. More people die on the roads everyday, why dont they impose martial law to combat pants driving if they are worried about the safety of the people.

Wait... What? What exactly is "pants driving?"

Are pairs of trousers somehow jumping off the drying line and getting behind the wheel?

and how can you draw the conclusion that Thais don't want to have a say in how they are governed?

Not draw any conclusion, by all means let them have a say at the polls--healthy. You throw out the bad, then let them have a vote to choose the best that's left.

Not draw any conclusion, by all means let them have a say at the polls--healthy. You throw out the bad, then let them have a vote to choose the best that's left.

Define bad?

How many politicians left?

Hogwash

How can you say that people don't want to vote? They do. Just let them. And frankly seeing gie one sided the judiciary is, I have no faith in that institution. They exist to serve themselves and their political masters. they are a parasite on Thai society.

The biggest parasite was the PTP in government--BUT I can see you love that style.

it will be interesting to see where it goes i doubt the PDRC and co would attempt to disrupt an election under the gaze of the army. .

It may very well be beyond the PDRC at this point; Suthep has made people feel empowered.

Maybe or maybe not.

The only way to find out is by holding elections and giving the people the chance to express their democratic rights as laid out in the constitution.

Furthermore, the claim that the Army would be unable to provide the necessary security to hold a poll brings in to question the complete rationale for invoking this so called Martial Law.

Edited by wave
  • Like 1

Seems to me that Prayuth wants to get all parties together to bang some heads and thrash out the way forward.

If PTP want to run around screaming "election, election" like a dysfunctional octagenarian who has just discovered Viagra then the best way to dampen their libido would be to put the brakes on it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Define bad?

How many politicians left?

Anyone who is found guilty of offences against the state=BAD. your second question is ??? whoever wants to be nominated without any blemishes-if you can find. if not ARMY rule better than ?????

Wrong, had the rebels not prevented Thais from voting in the Feb 2nd elections, we would have av governmentright now

But for how long? Just to enable PTP to begin raping the country again? PDRC would still be in the streets and there are a few cases working their way through the system that could pose a serious problem for PTP.

Without reforms it is senseless to have another election.

Prayuth's advice to the EC is sound. For those who are already twisting what Prayuth said, he advised the EC to drop the poll if - if - the EC determined that the poll couldn't be conducted without violence. That is sound advice because that is something no one wants. And then there's this -

" In a message received from the government, Somchai said interim government leader Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan had also submitted requests for other conditions. They included that Niwattumrong was legitimate in operating as the interim prime minister to submit to or receive from His Majesty the King any command. Niwattumrong had also asked the EC to give a reply to his requests by Friday, said Somchai. "

So Niwattumrong is not only telling the EC to recognize him as constitutionally legitimate - something only the Constitutional Court can affirm or deny - but that they must tell him by Friday ! What planet does Pheu Thai come from anyway ? They are asking the EC to provide a judicial ruling completely outside their power, and to give it in two days. But there is more to this than first meets the eye. Niwattumrong is telling the EC to authorize that he has the authority to not only receive but to summit " any command " through royal channels. So who knows what Pheu Thai has in mind. In the meantime, Niwattumrong seems to think that the EC can confer all this authority on him. And naturally, the EC has no authority for doing so. The EC would therefore likely refer to the Constitutional Court. This is all inevitably going to the Constitutional Court anyway.

• Like 1