Soldiers on guard around Suvarnabhumi after dismissal of police

webfact

Soldiers on guard around Suvarnabhumi after dismissal of police

BANGKOK, 21 May 2014 (NNT) – Troops have been stationed in the surrounding areas of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, replacing police officers who were dismissed when martial law was enforced.

As a result of the military’s replacement of the emergency decree with martial law today, the police forces on duty around Suvarnabhumi Airport were ordered to return to their bases.

The security task was then passed on to military officers who would be working closely with airport security staff. Checkpoints have been set up on all roads encompassing the airport. The passenger terminal, however, is outside the military’s supervision.

Despite the special law, Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Raweewan Netarakavesana confirmed that the airport was still providing normal services. Nonetheless, with security checkpoints erected in many areas of Bangkok, she reminded air passengers to be aware of possible traffic congestion and make sure to arrive at the airport well in advance of their flight. Those traveling light are also recommended to take the Airport Rail Link for more convenience.

Ms Raweewan added that executives of Suvarnabhumi Airport had conferred with relevant agencies in a bid to draw up contingency plans for emergency situations. Backup power and water supply has been prepared to ensure uninterrupted operation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-21 footer_n.gif

Shame they haven't 'dismissed' the whole Police Force as apart from protecting criminals and Hi So wrongdoer's they are virtually useless.

The concern is, that as more and more strategic places are taken over by the army and the police moved out, very soon the BIB will see the writing on the wall and so start frantically ramping up their tea money demands because they know the cash flow will dry up shortly.

I would stay away from any areas that may in the near future be taken over.

The headline is very misleading and apart from anything else genuine dismissal isn't too common.

How about ' moved to an even more inactive post ' ?

Dismiss is correct, the the primary meaning of dismiss is to "send away".

the primary meaning of dismissal is to "the act of ordering or allowing someone to leave".

"she dismissed the taxi at the corner of the road"

also disband, dissolve, discharge "the guards were dismissed" antonyms: assemble

You can also say "Dismiss any thought that binjalin is unbiased".

Correct usage and common usage can be quite different.

"dismissal" is misleading - the Army took over their duties and they went back to base

The news came from " National News Bureau of Thailand by The Government Relations Department " so it may well be your lot causing trouble and stirring the pot.. AGAIN!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The headline is very misleading and apart from anything else genuine dismissal isn't too common.

the primary meaning of dismissal is to "the act of ordering or allowing someone to leave".

also disband, dissolve, discharge "the guards were dismissed" antonyms: assemble

in the context of people management 'dismiss' means TERMINATE or FIRE as well you know

• Like 1

in the context of people management 'dismiss' means TERMINATE or FIRE as well you know

So when an army officer says" dismissed" to his troops, which I assume happens virtually all the time everywhere all day long, it means they are terminated or fired? I thought it just meant they were told to leave his office or similar.

• Like 1

one might be misleaded that police would start doing their jobs, now that the army took over

but what is exactly their job? collecting extras from businesses & motosays, to top up their meager salary ?

policing the gambling, drug dealing & whoring business ?

And "people management" is not the context of the OP, as you well know.

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 2

So when an army officer says" dismissed" to his troops, which I assume happens virtually all the time everywhere all day long, it means they are terminated or fired? I thought it just meant they were told to leave his office or similar.

article doesn't say "dismissed" is says "after dismissal of Police" anyway it is ambiguous at best why not say "replacement"

Those traveling light are also recommended to take the Airport Rail Link for more convenience.

That comment could start a civil war, because then the Isaan red skirt scum taxi's will feel discriminated...

article doesn't say "dismissed" is says "after dismissal of Police" anyway it is ambiguous at best why not say "replacement"

Ask your government. It was their news agency that posted the information .. personally I think it was done on purpose to give the Red's something to talk about .. seems to be working!

Came through yesterday morning and did not see any military; just the usual guys in berets on their stand-up scooters. I DID see a few army trucks (wi troops in field gear) here & there parked alongside the tollway headed into town. And there was some heavy traffic in toward town (which I, not yet knowing about the martial law declaration attributed to normal rush hour).

Obviously not all police. Dr Seri has been arrested at the airport by the DSI. Eight charges including insurrection.

There is no truth in the rumour that two of those charges were for crimes against fashion and abuse of a toupee...............

Edited by fab4

Once people are no longer paid to vote on one particular party, the elections should be respected by everyone for a 4 year period - if you vote on the opposition you must accept the outcome of the elections. As it is now and has been for a long time in Thailand, we know that paid to vote is the reason people can't accept the results.

Will you "vote buying" morons PLEASE give it a f'ing rest!!! First, vote buying has been going on by ALL parties since "democracy" was introduced to Thailand. That's a fact. Second, if you actually read more than comic books, you would be well aware that "vote buying" doesn't mean a damn thing. Even Korn, one of the more respectable Democrats openly admitted that in the last Election, where Yingluck and PTP won, the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP, and they still lost, and stated that vote buying has NO EFFECT on the outcome of the vote. People take the money, then vote for who they want anyway.

Try finding another dead horse to beat and bitch about.

If as you claim vote buying has NO EFFECT why do any political parities do it?

Would you go out and spend a large amount of money and get nothing for it more than once?

Buying the vote of individuals probably has little effect, buying the Poo Yai however is different, the intimidation of the individuals starts right there.

Scrap the Poo Yai system as it stands at the moment, then you may see a change.

myth and legend... Dems spend more on buying votes than PTP = no effect and Korn confirms it

I listened to the interview and Korn didn't confirm anything. He suggested scenarios.. I am not saying they haven't because I believe they all have at some time or other.

It does seem that the Democrats have paid a small amount of money to poorer less well off people to attend their rallies. I suppose you could say that is helping the poor and allowing them to decide for themselves like Korn said in the interview!

In my wife's village just outside Nakhon Pathom PTP and others have indeed paid directly via canvases for the vote (Nakhon Pathom is 4 districts out of 5 PTP. the other one was Democrats but now is Chart Thai pattana)

PS: father in law was a staunch Red shirt. TV was always on.. not so much in the last few months. I think still a red shirt just not UDD as in he's grassroots wants change (he's from Khon Kaen) but bored and sick of the Thaksin whoring that is UDD.

Edited by casualbiker

Obviously not all police. Dr Seri has been arrested at the airport by the DSI. Eight charges including insurrection.

There is no truth in the rumour that two of those charges were for crimes against fashion and abuse of a toupee...............

We agree on Seri. Nationalist nutjob with a very bad style sense.

Also just so your aware Immigration are police!

"dismissal" is misleading - the Army took over their duties and they went back to base

Totally agree. That surely should have been "relieved".

Now still puzzling about "order to return to their bases". I didn't know police forces were stationed at bases, but than I've never before lived in a country were the police force and the armed forces seem about the same size.

Actually, I don't think that's quite right. RTP and Immigration officers are different organizations. In the past, immigration police have actually aacompanied RTP on some of their raids in the lower Sukhumvit area. RTP checking for drugs & underage; immo checking on immigration status. There's clearly a difference. Obviously, immo officers have some police powers (such as authority to detain & transport) however.

Actually, I don't think that's quite right. RTP and Immigration officers are different organizations. In the past, immigration police have actually aacompanied RTP on some of their raids in the lower Sukhumvit area. RTP checking for drugs & underage; immo checking on immigration status. There's clearly a difference. Obviously, immo officers have some police powers (such as authority to detain & transport) however.

Currently The Immigration is a division of RTP. But according to wiki plans to separate are being considered : Office of Immigration Bureau (under plan to separate from the Royal Thai Police to become independent authority)

Currently The Immigration is a division of RTP. But according to wiki plans to separate are being considered : Office of Immigration Bureau (under plan to separate from the Royal Thai Police to become independent authority)

True. A separate division with different "powers" from the provincial police division (the largest of the operational divisions, and generally the one most frequently encountered by foreigners on the streets away from immigration stations & checkpoints), but currently part of the overall national Thai police organization, yes.