Recomendations for afternoon/high tea in Hua Hin

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations on the best places to go for afternoon tea in Hua Hin.

I've looked at the Hilton, Centara and Inter Continental but before I book anything I was wanting to hear from anyone who has actually had afternoon/high tea at any of these places.

Price isn't so important but if you could give me an idea of how much you paid that would be most helpful.

Also, let me know of any other places for good afternoon tea in Hua Hin.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by pinkpanther99

Afternoon tea is not high tea, at least if one wants to be pedantic and historically accurate.

Traditionally, high tea was a working class meal served on a high table at the end of the workday, shortly after five PM. It was a heavy meal of meat dishes (such as steak and kidney pie), fish dishes (such as pickled salmon), baked goods (such as crumpets or, in Ireland, barm brack), vegetables (such as potatoes or onion cakes), and other heavy foods (such as baked beans and cheesy casseroles).
Afternoon tea, also known as 'low tea,' is what most people think of when they hear 'high tea.' It involves things like manners, lace and dainty foods. It is typically served in the mid-afternoon and it was traditionally served on low tables, hence its two names.

If you're actually interested in tea, per se, there is surprising little on offer even in Bangkok, especially when it comes to the black teas such as Asaam (not counting those blends in a bag suspended from a string draped over the cup rim). Recently I've come across some quite good organic No. 12 Oolong sold in small canisters at Villa in Pattaya. You might luck out and find some place serving that, but in Hua Hin that would require a great deal of luck.

51XAhPE7VcL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The Victoria hotel In Victoria British Columbia is renowned for high tea or is that afternoon tea ? At any rate tea does not seem to be much of a tradition in Thailand or Canada. However I do understand the tradition and when given the opportunity will happily partake.

The old Sofitel, now part of the Centara complex. I think I paid some 600, or so, for three of us, the last time I was there, just after Xmas. Much better than the old Oriental teas in Bangkok. On a par with the Peninsula in HK. But they do offer different options, dependent on the day/time. The Hua Hin guides should list them, or just drop in and ask, around 4.00pm. If you aren't staying there, you will need to sign in at the gate.

I can thoroughly recommend High Tea at Centara hotel. It was absolutely superb. Service very good indeed, the location is lovely and the food was delicious. The price paid was about 2,000 baht per person. A lovely way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon.

The Victoria hotel In Victoria British Columbia is renowned for high tea or is that afternoon tea ? At any rate tea does not seem to be much of a tradition in Thailand or Canada. However I do understand the tradition and when given the opportunity will happily partake.

Yes, I have had a couple of wonderful high teas at the Victoria Hotel, BC ... but a bit pricy ... not sure high tea is available in Hua Hin, but I have been told a couple of up market hotels provide in Bangkok

Yes, I have had a couple of wonderful high teas at the Victoria Hotel, BC ... but a bit pricy ... not sure high tea is available in Hua Hin, but I have been told a couple of up market hotels provide in Bangkok

That's the Empress Hotel.... not the Victoria Hotel .....wow!... two people got it wrong tongue.pngfacepalm.gif A bit far to go for a cuppa though! coffee1.gif

Afternoon tea is not high tea, at least if one wants to be pedantic and historically accurate.

Traditionally, high tea was a working class meal served on a high table at the end of the workday, shortly after five PM. It was a heavy meal of meat dishes (such as steak and kidney pie), fish dishes (such as pickled salmon), baked goods (such as crumpets or, in Ireland, barm brack), vegetables (such as potatoes or onion cakes), and other heavy foods (such as baked beans and cheesy casseroles).
Afternoon tea, also known as 'low tea,' is what most people think of when they hear 'high tea.' It involves things like manners, lace and dainty foods. It is typically served in the mid-afternoon and it was traditionally served on low tables, hence its two names.

If you're actually interested in tea, per se, there is surprising little on offer even in Bangkok, especially when it comes to the black teas such as Asaam (not counting those blends in a bag suspended from a string draped over the cup rim). Recently I've come across some quite good organic No. 12 Oolong sold in small canisters at Villa in Pattaya. You might luck out and find some place serving that, but in Hua Hin that would require a great deal of luck.

51XAhPE7VcL._SY300_.jpg

Yes, I know afternoon tea is not high tea. However, when I've had afternoon tea in the UK, you sometimes have the option to take high tea, which as you say is a little later in the afternoon, and usually with slighty more heartier fayre.

I'd be interested in taking either afternoon or high tea in Hua Hin, which is why I asked the question in my OP.

I can thoroughly recommend High Tea at Centara hotel. It was absolutely superb. Service very good indeed, the location is lovely and the food was delicious. The price paid was about 2,000 baht per person. A lovely way to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon.

2000 Baht per person for afternoon tea at the Hua Hin Centara? Really? Even in Claridges in Mayfair afternoon tea only costs 2500 Baht (GBP50).

For 2000B in Thailand I expect an extensive dinner buffet with many imported items and dishes like lobster etc., and indeed I would get it in just about any good hotel I've been to in Pattaya or Bangkok.

You British never stop to amaze me. I had no idea one could get "high" on Tea !!!

I tried it today. I am up to 12,5 liters now, I am still not "high" by any description but my bladder is revolting !

I just don't know how you do it but at any rate, keep it low profile. Otherwise you will be overrun by Farangs wanting to join your daily gatherings.

Only solace is, that Queen Victoria will never know. biggrin.png

Cheers.

You British never stop to amaze me. I had no idea one could get "high" on Tea !!!

I tried it today. I am up to 12,5 liters now, I am still not "high" by any description but my bladder is revolting !

I just don't know how you do it but at any rate, keep it low profile. Otherwise you will be overrun by Farangs wanting to join your daily gatherings.

Only solace is, that Queen Victoria will never know. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

Cheers.

Don't drink it... to get high you have to smoke it! laugh.png

High tea, Sunday roast, mushy peas, meat pies, hard cider, not to mention that yucky stuff they spread on bread or "biscuits" straight out of the bottle, yes, the Brits have some strange tastes in food and drink sometimes, but you gotta love 'em if you're going to get along here. thumbsup.gif

Edited by hhfarang

2000 Baht per person for afternoon tea at the Hua Hin Centara? Really? Even in Claridges in Mayfair afternoon tea only costs 2500 Baht (GBP50).

For 2000B in Thailand I expect an extensive dinner buffet with many imported items and dishes like lobster etc., and indeed I would get it in just about any good hotel I've been to in Pattaya or Bangkok.

Hmm, had Brunch at the Sofitel in BKK and it was almost 3,000 a pop. Inflation and all that.