Martial law: Filipinos in Thailand told to prepare for evacuation

webfact

An off-topic post has been deleted.

I believe that at another point in the political turmoil, the Filipinos were told to prepare to evacuate. It would seem like a bit of an overreaction, but there are a lot of them in the country and a lot of them are not well paid.

Filipinos are treated as Asians and so they don't always the 'free pass' that some of us Westerners get.

Bit over the top to be honest.

Not to the filipinos......they have had martial law in the filipines several times....lots of blood and gunfire....

It's just that here in Thailand...martial law is quite lay back.....not really the full on "martial law" situation.

I'm pretty sure in both cases you are talking about coup (attempt)s. Martial law was the standard law in the Philippines for decades, it never stopped. But they had some killer coup attempts.

And you and I have little idea how martial law is in Thailand, having almost never experienced it despite 20 or so coup attempts.

Americans ain't worried. We know our guys will chopper us out form wherever we are. Then we'll have a good time on the carrier deck, taking "selfies" with our troops and pushing the choppers over the side. Francis Coppola will be filming the whole thing, with narration from Wolf Blitzer.

How do you evacuate 15,000 people. That's about 30-50 747 flights.

Well there's all the tourist flights and the ones Yingluck was always taking. It's a start.

I'm in Isaan and you wouldn't know anything had been happening for the last 6 months. I've got to go to Bangkok next week but based on my visits over the last few months I doubt I'll have a problem.

How do you evacuate 15,000 people. That's about 30-50 747 flights.

The way Chinese evacuated their people from Vietnam few days ago wink.png Using boats..

Yep, I can just see them sailing up the Ping River.

Sounds like a lot of Maids might get a trip home while our houses gather dust.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the Philippines "hopes for an early return to normalcy consistent with the will and interest of the Thai people."

which is NOW. . .

Oh, so they should return to their very safe country PI?

Both countries have easy access of guns , if you let me choose walking at dark street in both countries I prefer walking in Thailand much more safer compare with Philippines.

Like anywhere, it just depends on where you walk. In the Philippines knives are the weapon of choice as guns are very expensive and noisy.