Thai Coup - border entry denied, report.

The Thai/Laos border is currently closed. No links sorry.

Edit: Closed to non-Thais.

Not true, I crossed at Nongkhai Friday at 3pm, can show you a Visa stamp if i must....I am not Thai.....

Thank you for the "first hand" report. Sometimes it gets tiresome reading some of these reports based on hearsay and bar talk. My UK friend is on his way to Nong Khai today, hoping to be able to cross the bridge tomorrow. He is on a multi entry O visa and his current 90 day permission to stay expires tomorrow the 25th.

Hope to get a "fresh" report from your friend... Perhaps he will also ask around about other problems that people have encountered.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem crossing the border to exit Nongkhai into Laos and from Laos into Nongkhai (with visa). In fact, with the military presence the whole experience is better. Smiles all around!

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates, going to Nong Khai tomorrow morning will report back.

No worries! Need updates when coming in just PM as I live just a few hundred meters from the Thai border. Thus far, all is fine!

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Bangkok45

I have a Laotian friend friend stuck in Pakse. He lives and works in BKK. He needs to get back to work in BKK and would like to know if the border is open and whether it's safe to travel by road to BKK. He had locals there telling him that the road to BKK is full of army road blocks and problems.

Anybody have hands-on info, please? Thanks

I don't know about the border

I traveled from Ubol to Bkk least night (took the overnight bus, they are running).

There were 4 military checkpoints.

The bus was waved through at each of them.

Military never checked documents of the driver or entered the bus.

• Like 1

All borders closed? Incorrect information! Scared me for nothing!

I took the bus from Vientiane through Thai-Lao friendship brindge to Udon Thani airport yesterday afternoon. No problems!

Edited by KayDream

Ok. here is your "fresh" report. My UK friend and an Aussie mate just completed the Nong Khai"visa run". No problem. In fact they Talked with some other Farang who went yesterday. and again no problem. So much for the Unsubstantiated rumors.

Sent from my R8111 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just back from Nong Khai. Caught the 5.00am express train from khon kaen this morning which I believe starts in Bangkok. On time for the first time ever and everything went like clockwork. Border run was the same as usual with a few soldiers about.

Job done.

I have a double entry visa with 30 day extension from the Immigration Office from Chiang Mai, where I am staying. I have to do my second entry on second of june. Where is the best place to go? Is Mae Sai still a good option?

I crossed the Thai-Laos border yesterday at about 5:30PM.

Did not go over the usual friendship bridge, but instead caught the train near Vientiane and rode it directly to the Nong Khai train station where we went thru immigration.

Before getting to the window a policeman checked every falangs passport for a visa; everybody had one, so not sure what would have happened if someone didn't.

There were a few soldiers there doing nothing.

No problems at all.

Rode the train to Bangkok; did not see any soldiers on the train or at the BKK station.

Rode in a minivan from there to Pattaya; did not see any check points or soldiers.
Everything seemed "normal" as usual.

I have a double entry visa with 30 day extension from the Immigration Office from Chiang Mai, where I am staying. I have to do my second entry on second of june. Where is the best place to go? Is Mae Sai still a good option?

It will be open and you should not have a problem because you have a visa.

Hi Guys, I crossed friendship Bridge at Mukdahan yesterday with no problems. I submitted my application for a multi entry non O visa this morning at the Savannaket Thai consulate, with no problems. Happy days :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Guys, I crossed friendship Bridge at Mukdahan yesterday with no problems. I submitted my application for a multi entry non O visa this morning at the Savannaket Thai consulate, with no problems. Happy days :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is it still the 'old' consulate or have they moved into the new building?

As far as I know the Chong Mek crossing is open. There should not be a problem for them to enter arnd get the 14 days allowed them.

Thanks. Do they only get 14 days? Thought a month. And the road to BKK is safe for them, without harassment?

Cambodians only get a 14 day entry by way of a bilateral agreement with Thailand. Thais only get 14 days when entering Cambodia.

As long as they have a valid passport and the 14 day entry they should not have a problem.

• 1 month later...

I live in Nong Khai and drive by the bridge area fairly frequently.

Right after the coup, things were incredibly busy going both ways, but that cleared up after a week or so.

After that, things were busier than normal for another week or so, but getting back to normal; less tourists than normal in town, which is few given that this is Nong Khai, which is part of its charm.

Now it's the beginning of July and friends come and go reporting little happening: few solders, embassy normal, nothing to report.

Seems things all over are back to normal, with lots of people talking about things improving, with the military tackling a wide range of issues head on.

Have to say things are certainly better than they were before the intervention, at least as far as protests and potential violence go.