International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

Add to that economic change. Before 2001 90% of government investment was in Bangkok, the south was doing well from tourism, and the north and northeast had third world economies, making them a convenient source of cheap, complacent labor for Bangkok and the south.

"It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption."

That, and other issues which some think will are bringing changes to the socio-political fabric of the country, changes which they want to stop.

Since 2001 investment in Bangkok has slowly decreased, it was down to 72% of government investment in 2012 (my source is the World Bank, but I'm leery of posting a link), which resulted in a significant increase in government investment outside of Bangkok. Better roads, schools, clinics, etc., resulted in the peasants getting uppity; workers demanding living wages, hookers getting more expensive, stuff like that. A lot of people don't like this kind of change.

I guess there may be some skewing here due to the BKK mega projects that were underway during the 2000-2012 era - BTS, Express Ways, Swampy - take these costs out, and how does the residue compare to the BKK vs outside BKK change over that time?

I'm puzzled, the numbers are top level comparisons of infrastructure investment in Bangkok to infrastructure investment outside of Bangkok. Why would I want to factor out significant infrastructure investments before making the comparison?

To level the playing field. During times of mega-projects such as those I mentioned there is obviously going to be more budget assigned to those areas. To compare Bangkok whilst these [projects are going on, with now, as to imply that more funding is now being spent on the north is fallacious. These mega projects are special cases and received special funding, this does not mean that funding was necessarily diverted away from the north. They are also one off type investments and do not show a (dramatic) trend to invest more in one area than another - nor after they are completed and paid for, do they show the opposite - i.e. greater investment outside/less investment inside the capital wrt to day to day infrastructure like hospitals, roads, school, clinic, etc - as you mentioned. Hence, they skew the figures.

This is the same trick investment bankers play all the time - show you a small part of a graph showing marked increase (or in this case decrease) and it's an easy sell - but step back and look at more of the graph and it just shows itself to be one side of a short-lived blip.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Economist is nothing but an opinion rag with anonymous writers, by their own definition.

The Economist is a news magazine that is frequently quoted by other news organizations. It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language. I would never hesitate to reference the Economist as the source of my information, I would never reference you. Where do you come up with your drivel?

There is a link between Thaksin and the Economist.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/19/headlines/headlines_30088758.php

The reason rags such as the economist write arse-licking articles praising corrupt megalomaniancs is because they are paid to do so. Quite simple, don't overthink it.

Sam Moon stopped working on , as he calls it, on "brand extension" for the Economist Magazine in 1994. According to his profile he has never been Managing Director of Business Week (Asia) as the Nation article claims. He was CEO of DNM Strategies up until 2008 and they organised Leadership Forums, the BusinessWeek events among them. He now works for HighLink Corporation which organises events and creating business links between the Middle East and China. He is also an advisor to Thaksin. http://hk.linkedin.com/pub/sam-moon/11/74a/898

So apart from the fact that the Nation article was stretching the truth somewhat, it was also written in 2008, so bears no relevance whatsoever to your assertion that Thaksin is behind contemporary Economist articles.

• Like 1

Arisman, storming the ASEAN venue in 2009, talking about burning things in 2010, fleeing to Cambodia, saying he wouldn't feel safe with the previous government, set conditions to come back.

It would seem both Ms. Thida and Dr. weng are also still detained with tomorrow their seventh day.

Anyway the international community is very concerned some have it. Personally I don't mind doing without shoutcasts from UDD leaders.

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

That should tell even you something.

That they don't practise what they preach?

Curious, most intelligent observers would have seen the irony in journalist associations that has been subjected to the most severe restrictions on their press freedom whilst under Junta rule commenting on the detention of journalists in modern day Thailand.

But not you, apparently.

Edited by fab4

I see in the BP sutep and the yellows celebrating at a lavish French restaurant.

Meanwhile the poor who supported him and slept on the streets and handed over their hard earned are asking what about us and where's the money gone?

Sorry guys you were a means to an end and now you got the coup you wanted unfortunately you are just not one of the elite!

It was the 4 Garcons. And just to be additionally ingratiating and / or insensitive, some of the guests wore army camouflage clothing. Of course the ever non-confrontational Miss Chitpas went one step further and had Burapha Phayak emblazoned on the back of her T shirt. Burapha Phayak refers to the Eastern Tigers, Prayuths old regiment, the 2nd Regiment.

Classy.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

The Economist is nothing but an opinion rag with anonymous writers, by their own definition.

The Economist is a news magazine that is frequently quoted by other news organizations. It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language. I would never hesitate to reference the Economist as the source of my information, I would never reference you. Where do you come up with your drivel?

"...It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language."

-- heybruce

The economist is rated as the 94th most popular news magazine by paid circulation out of 100 in the US. Circulation is even lower in other English speaking countries. It's 3 closest rivals are House Beautiful, Conde Nast Traveler, and Architectural Digest. Speaks volumes about your ability to argue..

Speaks volumes of your ability to debate if you regard House Beautiful, Conde Nast Traveler, and the Architectural Digest as weekly news magazines.

Edited by fab4

I see in the BP sutep and the yellows celebrating at a lavish French restaurant.

Meanwhile the poor who supported him and slept on the streets and handed over their hard earned are asking what about us and where's the money gone?

Sorry guys you were a means to an end and now you got the coup you wanted unfortunately you are just not one of the elite!

What a pathetic little man you are. Politicising an entirely private event where the man celebrated his 48th birthday and his 15th wedding anniversary. Are you that desperate? Seriously, you need to get a life.

Private as in being splashed all over the PDRC Facebook page and the Bangkok Post, you mean?

Not all PDRC supporters saw it as being entirely appropriate and made their opinions known, as The stuttering parrot reported.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Like it or not the army has done more good clean ups in 1 month than the 3 years of PTP.

This has to be very positive and forward outlook for Thailand. Why criticize something that is a million time better than the last elected government.

Even if on PAPER coup's are not democratic. The general is more democratic than the whole of PTP put together.

So much for your impartial views ??

Your judgement seems to rely on a redefinition of democracy similar to this: 'For Thai traditional elites, democracy specifically means unity. So when the term "full" democracy is mentioned, it means stronger unity.' (Quote tweeted by Thammasat academic Prajak yesterday.)

In my view, democracy involves dissent, disagreement, conflict... all these things are required for the process of democracy to take place. But under the definition that Thai traditional elites use (and Thaksin's vision was really little different in many ways), democracy entails a serene politics where people unquestioningly follow their betters and know their place. It's a quiet politics in which society is managed by the ruling class and "the people" are given as little say as possible in the affairs of government. This is why coup makers in Thai history have often claimed that they staged the coup to protect democracy.

So if you mean that "the general is more democratic than the whole of PTP" when the word democratic is defined as above, then yes, I'd agree.

Just read a blunt Financial Times leader of yesterday which spells it out. (You know, the FT - that wild eyed, ignorant, irresponsible newspaper prone to promoting chaos and criminality. Who anywhere in the world would take any notice its leaders?)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/804d7ebc-e59f-11e3-a7f5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz330vg34dh

Nothing personal, but I really dislike to get a pointer to an article and then need to register first before I can even see some of it.

Agreed.It would be good practice when showing a link to indicate by means of a £ sign that one needs to subscribe or register in order to read the full article.In the case of the FT it's straightforward to register and this allows access to a limited number of articles per month.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course, one could be cynical for thinking it was just an excuse not to read the article. As you say it is a simple exercise to register with the FT for free, or not if you don't want to. Why make a song and dance about it on the forum.

There is not, contrary to and in contradiction of the superficial glib saying that is also trite, banal.

The nature of the beast we call the coup d'état makes it 99.9% improbable there would be such a thing as a "good" military mutiny coup d'état.

Thailand provides all the evidence, nay, proof anyone could ever need of the point. The former LOS is zero for 12 in the disastrous consequences of its "successful" coups and 0 for 19 in coup attempts overall.

It's sort of like

there_is_some_sht_you_just_cant_prepare_

Like it or not the army has done more good clean ups in 1 month than the 3 years of PTP.

This has to be very positive and forward outlook for Thailand. Why criticize something that is a million time better than the last elected government.

Even if on PAPER coup's are not democratic. The general is more democratic than the whole of PTP put together.

So much for your impartial views ??

I agree with you completely. Since the end of press freedom we have only had good news about what the army is doing.

The news we are getting about the Junta is much better than the news we were getting about the elected government. It seems like the whole Shin family will be found guilty of various crimes in the next few weeks and all encouraged to leave the country or face prison.

I struggle a bit to understand how the Junta is more democratic than the elected government but I am sure that education will be made available for me and others who cannot yet see the truth.

Were your views impartial?

Honest truth, whether Mickey Mouse took over running the country, or whoever.

I look at the said situation as of NOW. compared with the rice-- tablets--rubber--water management-- nothing could be worse than that.

If you had freedom of the media during PTP era why no debates allowed between opposition and Yingluck ??? why no question time every week in the house ??

Why are seemingly are there NO real accounts/books shown for monies spent on projects etc.

The media censorship is good for these early days, news of a positive kind for starters. Then freedom and elections- WHY NOT ???

Thought you wanted democracy restoring, we never had democracy rule during PTP only their democratic election.

This is not about promoting Military it's about clearing up after a corrupt government.

• Like 1

Gen P live on TV has just said a new government by 1st October 2014 but no mention of elections?

Well the BP has it he said no elections for about 15 months. Around October 2015.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dear John Kerry,

$10 million aid-cut means very little to Thailand. The Thaksin regime has abused more than $8,000 million out of the national budget. If the US is so happy and proud to support Thaksin corrupted regime, so be it. Someday the US will wake up and realize the difference between the authoritarian Thaksin regime under the disguise of their brand of democracy, and the full democracy as described by Alexis de Tocqueville 180 years ago. We in Thailand are now fiercely fighting for full democracy and will not settle for less.

Dear BBC and CNN,

Crisis in Thailand is certainly beyond your grasp. Time and more education will improve your understanding of Thailand.

Somkiat Onwimon

Bangkok

23 May 2014

Dear Sumting, At no time did anyone in the U.S. government including Sec. Kerry ever say that the withdrawing of $10 million in aid would detrimental or somehow onerous to Thailand, it is simply the law in the U.S. that once a Democratically elected government is overthrown that aid be recinded wink.png As far as "brands" of Democracy go as you put it I was not aware that there were different "brands", Democracy as I have always understood it is one vote for every citizen, which BTW is something that herr suthep has a hard time getting his head around. What you fail to realize in your tunnel visioned little world is that if the entire shin clan were to dissappear tomorrow, it would not make you happy because whatever party formed in the vacuum of the diposed shinawatras it would defeat whatever party the Bangkok elite and southern muslims put up, and that my friend is called Democracy thumbsup.gif

Those are Somkiat Onwimon words, not mine. Jane 'Fonda Kerry is a fool and a traitor. The USA only allowed land owners to vote when it became a country.

The PTP never got a majority vote.

[ In reality, of the 74% of Thais that turned out to vote on July 3, 2011, only 48% actually cast votes for Peua Thai (PTP). Of all eligible voters, that is a tenuous 35% mandate, hardly what can be called “decisively backed.” ]

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dear John Kerry,
$10 million aid-cut means very little to Thailand. The Thaksin regime has abused more than $8,000 million out of the national budget. If the US is so happy and proud to support Thaksin corrupted regime, so be it. Someday the US will wake up and realize the difference between the authoritarian Thaksin regime under the disguise of their brand of democracy, and the full democracy as described by Alexis de Tocqueville 180 years ago. We in Thailand are now fiercely fighting for full democracy and will not settle for less.

Dear BBC and CNN,
Crisis in Thailand is certainly beyond your grasp. Time and more education will improve your understanding of Thailand.
Somkiat Onwimon
Bangkok
23 May 2014

Dear Sumting, At no time did anyone in the U.S. government including Sec. Kerry ever say that the withdrawing of $10 million in aid would detrimental or somehow onerous to Thailand, it is simply the law in the U.S. that once a Democratically elected government is overthrown that aid be recinded As far as "brands" of Democracy go as you put it I was not aware that there were different "brands", Democracy as I have always understood it is one vote for every citizen, which BTW is something that herr suthep has a hard time getting his head around. What you fail to realize in your tunnel visioned little world is that if the entire shin clan were to dissappear tomorrow, it would not make you happy because whatever party formed in the vacuum of the diposed shinawatras it would defeat whatever party the Bangkok elite and southern muslims put up, and that my friend is called Democracy alt=thumbsup.gif>

Those are Somkiat Onwimon words, not mine. Jane 'Fonda Kerry is a fool and a traitor. The USA only allowed land owners to vote when it became a country.

The PTP never got a majority vote.

[ In reality, of the 74% of Thais that turned out to vote on July 3, 2011, only 48% actually cast votes for Peua Thai (PTP). Of all eligible voters, that is a tenuous 35% mandate, hardly what can be called “decisively backed.” ]

In multiparty elections like in Thailand and elsewhere in the world, a 48% share of votes cast is a massive landslide my friend wink.png The fact that it is not "the majority vote" as you put it is a red herring, and casting the net out to all those who didn't even participate in the electoral process to try and skew your percentages is sadder yet sad.png Yes the U.S. has evolved in its democratic process since the nations inception nearly 240 years ago (as DeTouqueville predicted), however we are not debating history here my friend, but rather representative Democracy in the current times and I feel that you either have a grave misunderstanding of the Thai electorate or else you are in lock step with herr suthep in the feeling that the "buffolos" who reside in the Thai countryside don't derserve the vote. Either way you are on the wrong side of the future for Thailand wai2.gif

• Like 1

Honest truth, whether Mickey Mouse took over running the country, or whoever.

I look at the said situation as of NOW. compared with the rice-- tablets--rubber--water management-- nothing could be worse than that.

If you had freedom of the media during PTP era why no debates allowed between opposition and Yingluck ??? why no question time every week in the house ??

Why are seemingly are there NO real accounts/books shown for monies spent on projects etc.

The media censorship is good for these early days, news of a positive kind for starters. Then freedom and elections- WHY NOT ???

Thought you wanted democracy restoring, we never had democracy rule during PTP only their democratic election.

This is not about promoting Military it's about clearing up after a corrupt government.

I cannot speak for Mickey Mouse because The Disney Channel is still banned.

Have you ever watched PMQs in the UK, loads of JaBoo shouting and very little substance, The rice-- tablets--rubber--water management-- were all cock-up to various degrees and we will never know the truth about all of them. But I think that some of them were in the PTP manifesto. (not sure which) and they were voted for by the people of Thailand.

Media censorship is never a good thing, not for early days, middle days or late days. Before the protests there were media organisation that were pro and anti government. During the protests we had Bluesky and Red Shirt channels.

I do not want democracy restoring, I wanted Thailand to remain a democratic country. Whatever Gerrymandered Faux system the Ammart come up with sometime down the road when they allow the people to vote next, it will not be democracy as we know it. Do you remember the referendum on the last constitution?

3rd paragraph. see below---2 channels ok debate NO it is not healthy --people want debate so they can clearly see faults either side.

1st two paragraphs rubbish and B/S

How was the country democratically run by the PTP, the government were diabolical and broke the law.

I did mention debate via---question time--??? TV air time Yingluck v opposition ??? no reply. because things would have been revealed nationally PTP could not have that ---they wanted to get away with negative publicity for them. FREEDOM ???

If you want to talk about press freedom--Go back to T Rak Thai, domination during KT rule--that set the standard.

But you want to complain NOW about The army... PPPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE

• Like 1

Thailand is called the Kingdom of Thailand and is a Constitutional monarchy, not a democracy. So the coup cannot make democracy worse, there is no democracy to make worse.

As a British citizen I can only hope that the armed forces of Her Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom - yes, that a constitutional monarchy too - is not afflicted by any such confused thoughts. (Similarly the constitutional kingdoms of Scandinavian countries.)

Gen P live on TV has just said a new government by 1st October 2014 but no mention of elections?

Well the BP has it he said no elections for about 15 months. Around October 2015.

Sorry FAB4 but I have to correct you there. He said no elections for at least 15 months. He did not say there would be elections he just gave some time frames before he would consider elections.

People disappearing without trial, and people being killed is better than financial mismanagement?

OK, I'll give that a go.

What a wonderful defense for the PTP. Financial Mismanagement-----diabolical corruption without accounts more like.

If you want to give it a go then lets get things into perspective.

"...It is arguably the most widely read and respected weekly news magazine in the English language."

-- heybruce

The economist is rated as the 94th most popular news magazine by paid circulation out of 100 in the US. Circulation is even lower in other English speaking countries. It's 3 closest rivals are House Beautiful, Conde Nast Traveler, and Architectural Digest. Speaks volumes about your ability to argue..

Speaks volumes of your ability to debate if you regard House Beautiful, Conde Nast Traveler, and the Architectural Digest as weekly news magazines.

Good point fab, not one single "news" magazine was rated as low as The Economist in the list, unless you consider Working Mother news for mothers. The New Yorker was 75th and Time was no. 11, as it should be.

Sorry FAB4 but I have to correct you there. He said no elections for at least 15 months. He did not say there would be elections he just gave some time frames before he would consider elections.

Whoever is cleaning up needs a full bucket of water to get the dirt cleaned up. so if it takes 1 year or 2 good. You don't like the clean up as it will not bring back your favourite party.

• Like 1

Thailand is called the Kingdom of Thailand and is a Constitutional monarchy, not a democracy. So the coup cannot make democracy worse, there is no democracy to make worse.

As a British citizen I can only hope that the armed forces of Her Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom - yes, that a constitutional monarchy too - is not afflicted by any such confused thoughts. (Similarly the constitutional kingdoms of Scandinavian countries.)

Thailand is not the UK.

People disappearing without trial, and people being killed is better than financial mismanagement?

OK, I'll give that a go.

No, it is not better, and thankfully the killings have stopped since the coup; not sure what are you talking about people disappearing without trial.

Trust me on this one, the violence inherent in military juntas hasn't even started yet.

• Like 1