Riding Gear for the Streets

wowjudo

Hello guys

So i wanted to ask the biker community for your opinions on riding Gear for the street use and its brand etc.

What do you recommend? Any personal crash experience with that specific gear ?

I do plan to buy a new jacket and pants. I just dont think that those onesie or combi leather suits will be the right choice for the street use (i think more for racing track use). Im very unsure, correct me if i am wrong.

What do you think ?

Edited by wowjudo

I always use my black leather jeans but that's very warm. So i let my MIL cut them and make a pair of shorts out of them. Works perfect!

On a more serious note, i only use a helmet and sunglasses. Much to warm to get dressed.

• Like 1

No that's not me, i 've got bigger boobs from eating KFC chickens.

What i wonder is why there are not tropical motorcycle helmets. My helmet has some airducts but they don't help a lot. Can they not design a helmet full of holes, more like a bicycle helmet?

• Like 1

namdocmai, on 25 May 2014 - 09:24, said:

What i wonder is why there are not tropical motorcycle helmets. My helmet has some airducts but they don't help a lot. Can they not design a helmet full of holes, more like a bicycle helmet?

"Tropical people" don't wear helmets.

When riding in Bkk I wear an MX helmet and sunnies/clear glasses. Get better airflow that way, but still get chin protection. I have an airflow Viper jacket that offers reasonable protection and good cooling when moving... Always wear gloves and shoes you can kick cars with.

Enjoy.

Sent - how is not that important...

• Like 1

No that's not me, i 've got bigger boobs from eating KFC chickens.

I bought a Caberg Breeze back from the UK as it's supposed to be well ventilated - ironically the plastic parts and the matt finish could not stand the tropical heat and I ended up with a sticky helmet ...... ooh er!

namdocmai, on 25 May 2014 - 09:24, said:

"Tropical people" don't wear helmets.

yeah, the stupid ones only.

• Like 1

I mainly ride in the city (unfortunately) and with the slow traffic and heat pushed out by car's a/c - heat is a big issue so leather is just too hot for me.

I've been very pleased with my new jeans bought from the Terminal 21 Bike Show (Paddock - kevlar denim with knee protection), I also wear short bike boots, light leather gloves protection panels on the palm and a full face mx style helmet with visor removed and sunglasses/clear glasses (as mentioned by DualSportRider this gives decent airflow).

I should also wear my mesh jacket with built in body armor ..... but on shorter trips I don't as even with the liner removed and the neck undone it's flippin' hot.

I know most accidents tend to happen on the shorter trips so my logic is wrong - but being too hot is also a safety issues as it's a distraction.

I've considered wearing skateboard elbow pads and T-shirt rather than the full mesh jacket - as this may be a decent compromise for city riding?

for city, best is kevlar or padded jeans or light mesh - leather/mesh pants, a full face helmet with good ventilation, light short boots, light gloves with palm sliders and a mesh or leather/mesh jacket for a hot country like Thailand.

But then, it is some compromise you made regarding safety still better than flip ons and a plastic bucket at the end of the day.

You can find what you need at Panda Rider, Paddock and Dainese and some others around in Bangkok. Google them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Boy a week or two ago Pekky had a closeout on Dainese 4 stroke gloves

Dainese has been closing these out to make room for the 2014 4Stroke Evo

But even at closeout shops in USA are selling for $132/ 4375 Thai Baht + shipping duty etc.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-4-stroke-gloves

Pekky had them for 2000 baht smile.png

I got the last black large. Every once in awhile Thailand has a killer deal

1815595_691_F_S_press_detail.jpg

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Gloves, I would recommend Alpinestars smx-2 gloves. I have the smx-1 and I love them. Very ventilated, but strong.

For jacket I have a Joe Rocket mesh.

Pants--I like Icon kevlar jeans.

Boots--I have a pair of sidis with air vents.

All of this stuff is liveable in Thailand.

Tour master vented jacket, Joe Rocket mesh pants, converse all-stars high tops, full face HJC helmet. crashed last year 1 in hole in shoulder of jacket, and abrasion spots on pants. Helmet has a big scratch where it was scraping on highway. Only abrasions on knees and left elbow and big black bruise on left hip. I was wearing shorts under my pants and from now on only long pants will be worn.

Protective gear must do two things -

Provide abrasion resistance as you slide down the asphalt, and impact resistance as you hit the ground.

Kevlar and its siblings are good at the former, while hard plastic backed with cushioning foam is good for the latter.

But it is such a personal decision that a firm answer is hard to give.

Me - when setting off on a trip, wear a 3/4 helmet with Lexan face shield, a mesh jacket with shoulder and elbow impact protection. Alpinestar SMX-5 vented boots, and various gloves. Cruise 100 kph and above.

But, around town on my PCX I wear a carbon fiber shorty helmet, shorts, a shirt, and running shoes. Still ride 60 - 70 kph with the odd blast to 100.

Looking into some shorts with impact protection, but have not decided yet. Will wear them under abrasion resistant pants.

You have to find what works for you. Many would not agree on my choices.

• Like 1

OK, finally found the right foot gear for the streets!

light, cool and purposefullaugh.png

i am interested on this for my 200 meter ride with my Honda wave to the closest shop to buy cigarettes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcws_iFudHg#t=11

hey, I want a set smile.png

The protection level will be zero and the ATGATT Brigade will hate them ...... but I still want a pair! I'd take them in my luggage for trips to the coast - and wear them when pootling around the beach roads and as normal 'off-the-bike' footwear. Better for changing gear than flip-flops.

There's a Bata shop in MBK - I'll have a look.

• Like 1

OK, finally found the right foot gear for the streets!

light, cool and purposefullaugh.png

i am interested on this for my 200 meter ride with my Honda wave to the closest shop to buy cigarettes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcws_iFudHg#t=11

hey, I want a set smile.png

The protection level will be zero and the ATGATT Brigade will hate them ...... but I still want a pair! I'd take them in my luggage for trips to the coast - and wear them when pootling around the beach roads and as normal 'off-the-bike' footwear. Better for changing gear than flip-flops.

There's a Bata shop in MBK - I'll have a look.

I had similar thoughts

Yes I sometimes wear sandals on my scooter too; I know its bad.

Instead of those Bata's I think toe and heel protection would be better with water oriented sandals from Keen, Patagonia, or Teva sandals like these.

Teva_Omnium_Burnt_Olive_Mens_9db2019f9f2

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 1

There are plenty of models available denoting vulnerable parts of the body requiring protection, I don't understand why manufacturers can't design something for the tropics, I suspect the western "sue yourass* culture is to blame.

If they cover the whole body with armour/leather westerners can't complain when they have an unusual crash and injure their armpits. So our choices have become cover up in heavy black leather, or nothing.

Maybe it will take a Thai who lives in the real world to design something, though I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile we are in the UK figuring out how to modify the two jackets we bought on ebay, one S/H at £10 looks perfect and silver in colour, the other new, but discontinued for the missus at £19, also in a lighter colour.

I think gloves are a must too and there are some bargains here too.

Those sandals would be okay if they ran a little higher.

the ATGATT Brigade will hate them ......

I wonder where these people are.

Been riding here 10 years, and have yet to see a fully-outfitted rider on a scooter.

you are looking to the wrong type of bike, maybe that is why?

check big bikes, their owners wore more protection especially the farang ones.

the ATGATT Brigade will hate them ......

I wonder where these people are.

Been riding here 10 years, and have yet to see a fully-outfitted rider on a scooter.

I do, on my Wave... But only if going for a long ride.

Just to the market and back, have to admit I'm guilty of flip flop abuse :) Always got a good lid on though..

True. I bought a Head Case 100% carbon fibre for scooter use.

Rely on my experience to keep out of danger ... But -

A suit of armor will not save your A** if you hit an oncoming car !!!

• Like 2

Check out some pics from a post accident gear report I came across. This guy was going 60-70 in the city and got hit side ways by a car. No time for any evasive or slowing down action.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1960062_10153918945310051_1893110982_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1510698_10153918946270051_639192310_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1798405_10153918945910051_351910630_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1185686_10153918946065051_465009143_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1911635_10153918946525051_397892364_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1981749_10153918945550051_1790399842_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1010284_10153918946550051_1185762028_n.jpg

Damage sustained: neck pain, slight fracture in right hand (no cast), right hip pain.

Equipment he was wearing:

Shark S900 helmet

Held Rezzato leather jacket

KLIM Overland pants (840D Cordura)

Rev'it Summit leather gloves

Rev'it Air Blend riding boots.

I shudder to think how much skin he would have left there had he not wore proper leather gear.

Note, rider was riding in about 20c weather, not in Thailand's sweltering heat.

Edited by rambling