Mother of detained red shirt to approach court

Lite Beer

Mother of detained red shirt to approach court
The Sunday Nation

30234527-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Phayao Akkad, the mother of a paramedic killed in the 2010 red-shirt crackdown, says she will ask the Criminal Court to grant protection to her son who was taken away and detained by the Army.

Phayao went to the Army Club to ask Army deputy spokesman Colonel Winthai Suwaree about the whereabouts of her son, Natthapat Akhad. She said she was not given an answer.

She said her son was taken away by troops when the red-shirt rally on Utthayan Road was dispersed by troops and she has not heard about him since then.

She would file a complaint with the Criminal Court to grant protection to normal demonstrators who are not leaders of the rally.

Phayao and her son have been campaigning to demand justice for the death of her daughter in the 2010 crackdown.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-25

I certainly pity the mother.

One should think after losing her daughter that she would forbid her children to attend the rallies.

It's important to note that the military did not detain everyone at the rally; only the bad actors.

More will surface about this story.

Poor lady, she must be very concerned. She deserves an answer!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dont worry, hes safe. unlike the muslim young men who were detained then murdered by chalerm and thaksin in the south, igniting the violence.

thaksin has covered up so much lies through his media outlets its begining to limit his own thinking. it really sucks to have to mentally block you own information. on the bright side, great news for the rest of the world.... things never disappear online.

the military wont hurt a hair on any of these .. uninformed people. being detained also means surveillance cameras on target. so, good luck trying to punch out your own teeth and blame the military.

• Like 1

One should think after losing her daughter that she would forbid her children to attend the rallies.

It's important to note that the military did not detain everyone at the rally; only the bad actors.

The bolded text above...you got your information from where...oh the army controlled media

Forbid?

Heck, the young people these days, we're lucky if they listen to parents, let alone obey them.

• Like 1

She should have a right to know he was detained or not. Other than that she should accept the news. He apparently did gather against the laws for political intent and hence at risk of imprissonment or fine regardless of whether he was a leader or not.

dont worry, hes safe. unlike the muslim young men who were detained then murdered by chalerm and thaksin in the south, igniting the violence.

thaksin has covered up so much lies through his media outlets its begining to limit his own thinking. it really sucks to have to mentally block you own information. on the bright side, great news for the rest of the world.... things never disappear online.

the military wont hurt a hair on any of these .. uninformed people. being detained also means surveillance cameras on target. so, good luck trying to punch out your own teeth and blame the military.

What the hell has this got to do with the story? More anti government diatribe.

""don't worry, he's safe. unlike the Muslim young men who were detained then murdered by charlem and thaksin in the south igniting the violence"

same ol' same o'l crap spewed by same people that hate facts and hold tight onto lies...

the Muslim protesters were in front of a police station calling for the release of several men, the protesters tried to enter the police station, the police resounded with tear gas and water cannon, then with live rounds, after they were subdued they were beaten by MILITARY and loaded into trucks and there they lost their lives, ok now your up to date and know the truth popit.

as for the son I hope he is ok and feel for the family.

The bolded text above...you got your information from where...oh the army controlled media

Have you read/heard anything suggesting that thousands of red shirts have been detained?

No, if you get someone to help you read the article they will tell you that nowhere does it say she was a red shirt. She was a nurse.

Exactly it was never told, as in covered up for the public eyes, to make Abhisit look more bad.

You're not gonna tell me that it is a coincidence that her brother is now at once a red shirt LEADER.

• Like 1

No, if you get someone to help you read the article they will tell you that nowhere does it say she was a red shirt. She was a nurse.

Exactly it was never told, as in covered up for the public eyes, to make Abhisit look more bad.

You're not gonna tell me that it is a coincidence that her brother is now at once a red shirt LEADER.

...perhaps the boy became a red shirt as a consequence of what happened to his sister at the hands of the military. That would be entirely understandable

...perhaps the boy became a red shirt as a consequence of what happened to his sister at the hands of the military. That would be entirely understandable

It is understandable that he became a red shirt member for that reason, but a red shirt LEADER just out of nothing ?

• Like 1

Please, Abhisit doesn't need anyone's help to look bad, he manages this very well with some help from his masters.

Her brothers views are his alone.

That her daughter was a red shirt who got killed, let me rethink the whole innocents of the victims killed in 2010.

I witnessed red shirts shooting with automatic rifles towards the army, on Phatunam that day, so wonder if some of the deaths were really so innocent.

Sad situation for this mother. Unfortunately, because of the coup there is no Court - only General Prayuth. And you know how he feels about red shirts.

If you are not aware of the situation, do not post what you think.

The COURT is still functioning ! ( after the coup )

That her daughter was a red shirt who got killed, let me rethink the whole innocents of the victims killed in 2010.

I witnessed red shirts shooting with automatic rifles towards the army, on Phatunam that day, so wonder if some of the deaths were really so innocent.

You and me both.

Sad situation for this mother. Unfortunately, because of the coup there is no Court - only General Prayuth. And you know how he feels about red shirts.

Prayuth has specifically said he is preserving the courts.

Although some might prefer military tribunals, watching the cases against PTP in the courts will have to do.

She should have a right to know he was detained or not. Other than that she should accept the news. He apparently did gather against the laws for political intent and hence at risk of imprissonment or fine regardless of whether he was a leader or not.

Agree to some extent. While he was in a place he should not have been I think in this specific case given that she identified who she was, and what the extent of her last lose has been, and she asked the Army for information, that it would have been simple enough for the Army to give that information. And while he has been detained under Martial Law it is a controlled situation and not one where violence is running amok. I think that the empathy displayed by Asian races at times leaves a lot to be desired. My condolences still to this mum who had her courageous daughter murdered by Army troops and will now will be distraught in regard to her son even thou I am sure he will surface safe and well after the Martial Law seven days maximum holding period.

""don't worry, he's safe. unlike the Muslim young men who were detained then murdered by charlem and thaksin in the south igniting the violence"

same ol' same o'l crap spewed by same people that hate facts and hold tight onto lies...

the Muslim protesters were in front of a police station calling for the release of several men, the protesters tried to enter the police station, the police resounded with tear gas and water cannon, then with live rounds, after they were subdued they were beaten by MILITARY and loaded into trucks and there they lost their lives, ok now your up to date and know the truth popit.

as for the son I hope he is ok and feel for the family.

In October 2004 the town of Tak Bai in Narathiwat province saw the most publicized incident of the insurgency. Six local men were arrested for having supplied weapons to insurgents. A demonstration was organized to demand their release and the police called in army reinforcements. The army used tear gas and water cannons on the crowd, and shooting started in which seven men were killed.

Hundreds of local people, mostly young men, were arrested. They were made to take off their shirts and lie on the ground. Their hands were tied behind their backs. Later that afternoon, they were thrown by soldiers into trucks to be taken to the Ingkayutthaboriharn army camp in the nearby province of Pattani. The prisoners were stacked five or six deep in the trucks, and by the time the trucks reached their destination five hours later, in the heat of the day, 78 men had died of suffocation.

This incident sparked widespread protests across the south, and indeed across Thailand, since even non-Muslim Thais were appalled at the army's behaviour. Thaksin, however, gave the army his full support. Those responsible for the ill-treatment and death of the detainees received the most minor of non-custodial punishments. Thaksin's initial response was to defend the army's actions, saying that the 78 men died "because they were already weak from fasting during the month of Ramadan."

Would be nice if they let her visit her son to see if he's ok .

Btw , the army chick with the uzi in the pic is allowed to arrest me on a lonely night , she's hot .

is she the same one pictured when yungluck was detained? or do all the female army soldiers look "hot"?

I guess he's got a direct line to the coup mongers. Those bloody bad actors.