Robbery in Bangrak Ghost Road

One Thai friend was robbed this morning at 6am in Bangrak, ghost road.

While she was walking to her nearby work a Thai men (around 1,70m tall, 30 years old) on a black Honda Wave motorbike asked her for the way to Lamai, soon after he grabbed her bag and ran off.

Inform your friends to be careful.

Sorry to hear of your friend's bad luck.

She should check the bins etc in the distance in the direction that the scum rode towards.

Bag /purse snatchers usually dump the bag as soon as they are out of sight of the victim. A man carring a handbag is a bit of a 'tell' that something is not right.

They tend to take cash/credit card/phone at the earliest chance and then dump the rest.

• Like 1

Go to the Amper office in banrak sea tran pier normally open around 2000 pm to 2200 pm it's a part time office at the moment but all the Amper guards are in there

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Go to the Amper office in banrak sea tran pier normally open around 2000 pm to 2200 pm it's a part time office at the moment but all the Amper guards are in there

Thanks Big C - that's really useful to know.

R

• Like 1

Where's the ghost road? Is it s typo for coast? Can you give a couple of prominent landmarks?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ghost road is correct , it connects chewang and Bangrak

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Where's the ghost road? Is it s typo for coast? Can you give a couple of prominent landmarks?

Call soi Bon ghai but us forang nick name it the ghost road as boater said it links banrak to bohput Chaweng and the airport but the road is very small and narrow with allot of traffic going through hence allot of accidents hence the ghost road

While she was walking to her nearby work a Thai men (around 1,70m tall, 30 years old) on a black Honda Wave motorbike asked her for the way to Lamai, soon after he grabbed her bag and ran off.

Hi sorry to ask I take it there wee 2 men ?

Did the bike have a plate or was it taken off?

Was the bike old?

What clothes were they wearing

Did they have any tattoos

What was there english like

Sorry for all the questions just want to crab these basterds as samui used to be a friendly place and people could talk to people freely

When thai people do these crimes they don't need work permits and stuff they can get a job easily

So they have less excuse than the possible forang who got a bit wired up once night for loved a bar girl and went out on a drug induce loved up robbery now paying with his time

Not saying what he did was right he should get about 5 years in my opium

So what's the answer we all go around tooled up and risk getting nicked at road blocks

Only thing I can suggest is to separate your belongings

Some in your pockets and bag ATM cards at home and money around the house

Not all in one place

Travel light then there is nothing to take

Some people were snatching bags in london

The value of the bags was worth than the contents

This is thailand and the police are under resourced to carry out chases on every crime specially when there is a language gap

Thanks for that Boater; so its the road to chomong!

No it's not. The Ghost Road runs from Bangrak to Chaweng - not to Choengmon.

It starts near 100 degrees east dive shop in Bangrak (other side of the road) and ends at the Lake Road. (Near All Star Food Supplies. There used to be a 7/11 on a corner at each end but both are being re-furbished.

No Chomong on the island. You mean Choeng Mon? If so, that isn't a road to Choeng Mon.

Coming from Ring Road at Bandon Hospital the first conspicuous thing on that Bandon Road would be to the right Japanese Massage in bright red, then to the left the Monkey Theater, a bit further there is a crossroad. At this very busy and very dangerous crossroad there are 3-4 supermarkets, a lot of little shops, tiny restaurants, a popular sport place, a cheap hotel etc.

Driving from there straight, the road leads through forest behind the runway to a small crossroad with a noble Chinese graveyard. Driving straight and you will come to the lake road next to the giant crab.

Driving right form that busy crossroad, there are many small houses, a popular Korean BBQ and the place with the birds singing contest on Sundays. That road leads to the lake road not too far away from the petrol station.

Driving left you are on the ghost road. It starts there and meanders first along many small huts with shops and workshops. First conspicuous thing on the left is a gigantic phallus. Then it leads straight to the Bangrak Road. Bangrak is Big Buddha Beach

I was let to believe that the ghost road is actually the part from the junction with the 3 minimarts leading towards the runway. The road right leading towards Bangrak is just called soi Bon Kai.

U are correct sir

Ghost road has that cross roads where I missed death when I first came here when I drove straight over it due to no cross road warning and a truck just missed me by a second

The cross road starts between the road from near the university

Road from Brandon past iss school

Road borders with the the road that goes towards Chong mon and the airport and borders with the road that goes to banrak beach

Road is very narrow with allot of lorries and trucks driving down at speed with motorbikes dotted around

Not the safest of routes but very convenient

Anyway back for the topic of a bag theft any luck with that?

CCTV would help are of there are private cameras about maybe a 7/11 or something but you shall need the date and time or they shall have to spend hours looking for it

I was let to believe that the ghost road is actually the part from the junction with the 3 minimarts leading towards the runway. The road right leading towards Bangrak is just called soi Bon Kai.

On that part there are many old ghost houses. Thais don't throw old ghost houses away like ordinary rubbish, but bring it to certain places, like next to an old tree inhabited by a nature spirit, so Thai faith. And there is such a place on that part. But that has nothing to do with the origin of the name ghost road which is not there but like explained above.

And I think the ghost road does not start on lake road, but at the junction with the supermarkets.

Edited by Birdman

Ghost road has that cross roads where I missed death when I first came here when I drove straight over it due to no cross road warning and a truck just missed me by a second

Yes, that very dangerous cross roads was called junction, if you are lucky no accident by locals. Can remember coming from the phallus direction, I stopped and from the right (Bandon) a car past by extremely quick without realising that there is a junction.

• Like 1

On that part there are many old ghost houses. Thais don't throw old ghost houses away like ordinary rubbish, but bring it to certain places, like next to an old tree inhabited by a nature spirit, so Thai faith. And there is such a place on that part. But that has nothing to do with the origin of the name ghost road which is not there but like explained above.

And I think the ghost road does not start on lake road, but at the junction with the supermarkets.

From what I can gather it is a nick name made up by forangs

From what I can gather it is a nick name made up by forangs like soi monkey

There used to be a monkey theatre there but no more the real name is soi kaopratt

No it's not. The Ghost Road runs from Bangrak to Chaweng - not to Choengmon.

It starts near 100 degrees east dive shop in Bangrak (other side of the road) and ends at the Lake Road. (Near All Star Food Supplies. There used to be a 7/11 on a corner at each end but both are being re-furbished.

The busiest 7 11 on Samui....on that corner..... ( I reckon) ... perhaps they are setting up a seating area out side.... so people don't have to sit on the steps...to drink beer! ....tongue.pngwhistling.gif

Here's an anecdotal suggestion of how the road got its name, maybe not true but nevertheless interesting.

The Ghost Road
Once upon a time there was a fairly popular bar set on Big Buddha Beach called the Beach Pub. Now this bar was run by Sem and Tuk and was located where the Secret Garden bar is today. One night Sem had to go to Chaweng to do something for his sister, and having stayed there until 3 in the morning , started the short trip back by motorbike to Big Buddha beach from Anchor House Chaweng. There was not much traffic in those days so the ride was normally uneventful and straightforward. Or so he thought, as just as he got to the wide open section where you can see the airport, Sem saw a figure in the road ahead of him, walking in the same direction towards the Temple at Bangrak. Now in those days the road was sandy and one had to be careful of losing your motorbike tyres in the deep sand which prevailed at certain points on the road, so Sem had to slow right down and come up behind the lady, and wait for her to move aside and let him pass. As Sem grew closer he saw that she was an old lady and had a "Khacheu" on her head with food and offerings to take to the Monks at the temple. Now a "Khacheu" was a round tray which one placed on one's head, but had not been used for many years by the local people , and it was the first time Sem had seen one. Now when Sem was behind her he was already wondering why this old lady was going to the Temple at such an early hour (5 o'clock would have been more like it) and why she had this thing on her head that hadn't been seen for 50 years or more, when she suddenly turned and stood aside to let him pass.........Now what Sem saw was a massive grim smile with red betel nut juice all over her teeth, and big black rings around her eyes and a face covered in powder. This apparition, as Sem is sure it was, gave our poor lad one hell of a scare, and you could hear him screaming a mile away over the roar of his motorbike engine as he fled the scene. He tore back to his room at the Beach Pub and told Dah his wife what had happened, and they huddled together in their room with the door firmly locked until the following morning. The next day at the bar the story was recounted several times, as indeed it was for several years afterwards, and people would often ask Sem to recount the story again...."Hey Sem !, Tell us the story of the Ghost Road"...... And that, my friends, is how the Ghost Road got its name, which is still with us today.

• Like 2

Hi sorry to ask I take it there wee 2 men ?

Did the bike have a plate or was it taken off?

Was the bike old?

What clothes were they wearing

Did they have any tattoos

What was there english like

Sorry for all the questions just want to crab these basterds as samui used to be a friendly place and people could talk to people freely

When thai people do these crimes they don't need work permits and stuff they can get a job easily

So they have less excuse than the possible forang who got a bit wired up once night for loved a bar girl and went out on a drug induce loved up robbery now paying with his time

Not saying what he did was right he should get about 5 years in my opium

So what's the answer we all go around tooled up and risk getting nicked at road blocks

Only thing I can suggest is to separate your belongings

Some in your pockets and bag ATM cards at home and money around the house

Not all in one place

Travel light then there is nothing to take

Some people were snatching bags in london

The value of the bags was worth than the contents

This is thailand and the police are under resourced to carry out chases on every crime specially when there is a language gap

Sorry BigC I cant give you more detailed information on it, I wasnt there and the lady it happend to doesnt speak english and my Thai is not really good enough yet to ask more questions about such details. :)

Thanks for the heads up anyway we have a firm detailed location at least lol ghost road, soi Bon ghai the history of the road ha ha