Phuket rescue man tells of his battle with death

webfact

Confined spaces require specific actions to be taken. Prior to any entry into a confined space, gas monitoring should take place. If there is gas present, evacuation of the air with a large fan or fans may be helpful. If further testing proves the air is still not breathable then Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or supplied air breathing apparatus should be worn.

There should be personnel outside the man way at all times. If a person inside should pass out, on no condition should one enter the confined space to effect a rescue, unless breathing apparatus is available. One method is to tie a rope to the first man in. An old and proven method is to put a bird in a cage on a long stick into the confined space. If the bird dies then people will die. I only suggest this because realistically will Thais buy a gas monitor ?

Obviously none of these people had confined space training. At the very least the Emergency personnel should be made aware of these conditions. H2S or methane gas are lethal. These may commonly be present in sewers. A sewer is a confined space.

Signage should be prominently displayed at the entrance to any confined space. Once gas monitoring has taken place the monitor should sign a document attesting to the fact that the air is safe including sufficient oxygen to support life not just the absence of poisonous gases. Regular and frequent monitoring should take place after the initial test.

I have had confined space training and have entered many confined spaces. I have worn SCBA and I have practised rescuing a heavy dummy in the dark in a smoke filled room. Someone shut off my oxygen valve but I was still able to complete the rescue.

There are training courses available and it saddens me to hear of totally preventable deaths and injuries related to confine spaces.

As they say; you're not in Kansas anymore. There are so many instances of people who are ill trained at the work they do. This guy was a volunteer who saw people in trouble and tried to help the best he could with no suitable equipment. Yes a SCUBA tank would have been better than what he had at hand. And by the way a SCBA tank is compressed air, not oxygen…

Twais Post # 25 brings up a question I have, after watching the classic film "The Shawshank Redemption" last night. The hero of the film breaks into a sewer pipe to escape from prison. The pipe appears to be two feet or less in diameter. The bottom eight inches or so is filled with waste from the prison. The hero crawls 500 yards through this foul muck to the sewer outfall, into a nearby creek. Since his body and the sack he's dragging behind him fill almost the whole pipe, it would seem that en route he would be pushing the dreck all the way up to his face.So, wouldn't this pipe be full of toxic gases, as well as having an overpoweringly putrid smell? Would he not die before getting to the end?

Think of all of the movies there have been where guys are running through sewers! This gas thing never becomes a factor. Every now and then you hear about some kid throwing a firecracker down a sewer and causing a huge explosion in the neighborhood.

Get well quickly, Khun O!

Twais Post # 25 brings up a question I have, after watching the classic film "The Shawshank Redemption" last night. The hero of the film breaks into a sewer pipe to escape from prison. The pipe appears to be two feet or less in diameter. The bottom eight inches or so is filled with waste from the prison. The hero crawls 500 yards through this foul muck to the sewer outfall, into a nearby creek. Since his body and the sack he's dragging behind him fill almost the whole pipe, it would seem that en route he would be pushing the dreck all the way up to his face.So, wouldn't this pipe be full of toxic gases, as well as having an overpoweringly putrid smell? Would he not die before getting to the end?

Think of all of the movies there have been where guys are running through sewers! This gas thing never becomes a factor. Every now and then you hear about some kid throwing a firecracker down a sewer and causing a huge explosion in the neighborhood.

Get well quickly, Khun O!

Best not to overthink it ;-)