Photography Exhibition in Chiang Rai

Limbo

This evening (17th June) at 19.00 opening of a photography exhibition at 9 Art Gallery / Architect Studio in Chiang Rai.

For more information please see the local Chiang Rai Forum.

Everybody welcome!

Greetings,

Limbo :o

post-6305-1150520621_thumb.jpg post-6305-1150520588_thumb.jpg

I hope the moderator of this forum and its members don't mind that I mention it here.

We intend to make a photo exhibition in Chiangrai of photo's taken by Thaivisa members.

This in co-operation with the Alliance Franco-Thai of Chiang Rai.

As most expertise is to be found in this forum I would appreciate any suggestions or idea's.

Besides: Anybody who made pictures in Chiang Rai of the kind 'wow, this is a great, funny, ridiculous or special one' is welcome to participate.

We are not in a hurry, but are aiming at October.

I hope the moderators of this forum and its members don't mind that I mention it here.

We intend to make a photo exhibition in Chiangrai of photo's taken by Thaivisa members.

This in co-operation with the Alliance Franco-Thai of Chiang Rai.

As most expertise is to be found in this forum I would appreciate any suggestions or idea's.

Besides: Anybody who made pictures in Chiang Rai of the kind 'wow, this is a great, funny, ridiculous or special one' is welcome to participate.

We are not in a hurry, but are aiming at October.

Limbo, :D

Welcome to “Photography and the Arts” that is what it is for.

Will you show us one or two photos from this exhibition at a later date ?

Would be nice.

Good Luck and come on Thaivisa members help Limbo out if you Kan.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Welcome to “Photography and the Arts” that is what it is for.

Will you show us one or two photos from this exhibition at a later date ?

Would be nice.

Thanks Kan!

We are with eight people now. Some of us are thinking about the National Museum of Chiang Saen as an ideal location.

I remember I did an photo exhibition there for the Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai (Peoples of the Mekong, a collection photo's from the big European archives, taken during the period 1870 to 1930) a couple of years ago.

It was tourist season and almost 13.000 visitors saw it.

But a nice cosy one in the middle of Chiang Rai town would be nice as well. We'll see.

We keep you informed.

Limbo

• 4 months later...

Hehe, we finally got the approval of the Fine Arts Department. Thanks to the Director of the National Museum of Chiang Saen.

Since last April external organisations are allowed to set up exhibitions in Thai National Museums, but at the cost of 3.000 Baht a day.

We will have the hall for temporary exhibitions for free and we intend to use it from about half of December until the end of January.

A serious technical question:

Imagine that there are photographers among you who spent holidays in Chiang Rai Province and took pictures there. And who would like to participate in this exhibition.

How would it be possible to get them here?

As the risc of damage is too big when sending pictures, I am thinking about sending them on a disc, for us to print out, or by internet.

Is it then still possible to get a good quality if enlarged to let's say 30x40 cm?

Forgive me my ignorance, but how many pixels is the minimum to get a good print of this (or a one step bigger) size?

Please, any kind of tip is welcome. I have made more than 200 exhibitions in my life but seldom a good picture.

Greetings,

• 3 months later...

post-6305-1171250432_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1171250396_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1171250376_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1171250360_thumb.jpg

post-6305-1171250461_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kan Win,

Some pictures of the opening.

We ended up with about 170 photo's, taken by 16 foreign residents of Chiang Rai,

two Thai friends and 14 students of a school for orphaned hill-tribe children (1 picture each,

with their own explanation in text).

9 Nationalities are represented.

Even if Chiang Saen is about 70 kms from Chiang Rai town, about hundred people visited

the opening.

Good food, good music, everybody happy (and proud :o ).

It was a fun thing to organize and no trouble at all among the participants.

Only one person (previously banned from this forum) we had to refuse because of the

extremely horrible quality of his pictures: he just took some tokeh shit covered family

pictures from his wall and presented them to us.

He started to distribute leaflets with 'boycott photo show and sex-tourism in Chiang Saen'

and threatened to disturb the opening ceremony

(wouldn't have been easy as two dignitaries were present with their army body guards :D ).

I wished I could make photo's myself.

Greetings everybody!

Limbo

• 3 months later...

Evaluation:

The exhibit was visited by 7300 visitors of which more than one/third foreign tourists (the National Museum of Chiang Saen is located next to the famous Chedi Luang).

We decided not to go with it to the Naresuan University, as their summer-population only consists of about 6000 students (normally more than 20.000).

The next location will be the prestigious Rai Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park, the Garden of the Kings Mother in Chiang Rai town itself.

After that we will take the decision on Pit'lok.

Technical aspect:

We hung the exhibit with 3M Scotch. It is very difficult to take the pictures off without damaging the walls. We now will experiment with a Blue Tack (very expensive) -like material which is used for instance to insulate the pipes of aircon installations going through walls.

Experiments done by the Art Faculty of Chiang Mai University are encouraging.

This material is very cheap.

Greetings,

Edited by Limbo