Just saw a what looked like prefab house being built near where I live in Ngamwongwan. There was a sign on the fence that said it was from SCG Heim, reason I say prefab is because a couple weeks ago the plot looked empty and yesterday there was is a house almost fully built on the lot.

I remember seeing something at CDC, maybe a show house, but did not get a chance to take a look. I did a quick search on Google and it seems to be getting popular and supposed to save a bunch on cooling and be Eco friendly. The house I saw actually looked pretty nice, mixed of western/Asian style exterior.

Just wondering if anyone knows more about it, plan to swing by CDC to see show house soon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did go and take a look at the show house at CDC, and have to say was quite impressed. They said from the time foundation is prepped it takes about 6 months to construct and put together.

Prices start at 5 million for 200 sqm, and includes air conditioning in all rooms and an air filtration system both from Mitsubishi. Was told that filtration system only uses about 5 thb a day to run.

They also have built in closets for all bedrooms as well as bath fixtures and kitchen. It comes with a 20 year warranty and they come 6 times for check up and maintenance if needed. Was told that there is no need to worry about termites and there is nothing used to attract them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am presently at the finishing stages of a 200 sq meter property (duplex with 2 built in kitchens, 4 bathrooms , double walls with foam insulation, 12 mm glass, built in closets and storage areas). Bid on the project was 1.6 million. With all the changes and upgrades (Aircon-4, water heaters, tanks, etc) projected cost 2 million baht. Attached a picture of progress (6 months in....1-2 more to go).

post-190189-0-17484500-1401577168_thumb.

I did go and take a look at the show house at CDC, and have to say was quite impressed. They said from the time foundation is prepped it takes about 6 months to construct and put together.

Prices start at 5 million for 200 sqm, and includes air conditioning in all rooms and an air filtration system both from Mitsubishi. Was told that filtration system only uses about 5 thb a day to run.

They also have built in closets for all bedrooms as well as bath fixtures and kitchen. It comes with a 20 year warranty and they come 6 times for check up and maintenance if needed. Was told that there is no need to worry about termites and there is nothing used to attract them.

So it's 2-3 million baht more expensive than a concrete, block and tile home, and takes just as long to build. What's the benefit?

• Like 1

I am presently at the finishing stages of a 200 sq meter property (duplex with 2 built in kitchens, 4 bathrooms , double walls with foam insulation, 12 mm glass, built in closets and storage areas). Bid on the project was 1.6 million. With all the changes and upgrades (Aircon-4, water heaters, tanks, etc) projected cost 2 million baht. Attached a picture of progress (6 months in....1-2 more to go).

Interesting, good to know that similar can built for cheaper.

Edited by arkom

So it's 2-3 million baht more expensive than a concrete, block and tile home, and takes just as long to build. What's the benefit?

The main benefit from what they say is savings in electricity, they claim it can save up to 40% compared to standard concrete homes as everything is air tight. I can't really comment on pricing on as I really don't know what it cost to build something similar the conventional way, but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

Just saying that it seems like a good alternative and quality seems to be very good.

The main benefit from what they say is savings in electricity, they claim it can save up to 40% compared to standard concrete homes as everything is air tight. I can't really comment on pricing on as I really don't know what it cost to build something similar the conventional way, but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

Just saying that it seems like a good alternative and quality seems to be very good.

I for one appreciate your post. It's always nice to know the alternatives but if you lucky enough to have a good builder (one that won't just take a stage payment and disappear, or use inferior products) ....then you can build an energy efficient home cheaper doing as I have done (Double walls will foam insulation, insulation in the roof area and good solid windows (ones that are air and water tight)). Sooo the question as presented by IMHO is why use this system when you can save millions of Baht using standard building processes in Thailand ...Better alternative is to do a standard home and put in solar panels for saving on electricity!

Electricity now is not that expensive that spending millions more makes sense. As said ....money spent on solar panels a better alternative.

Again ...appreciate the post.wai.gif

Quote :

(Double walls will foam insulation, insulation in the roof area and good solid windows (ones that are air and water tight)).

Now THAT all sounds very interesting! smile.png

What sort of insulation are you using in the roof area ?

..and which brand of windows do you have, that are air and water tight ? Are they wood, metal or plastic, I wonder? Single or double glazing ?

Thanks for any good info biggrin.png

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Quote :

(Double walls will foam insulation, insulation in the roof area and good solid windows (ones that are air and water tight)).

Now THAT all sounds very interesting! smile.png

What sort of insulation are you using in the roof area ?

..and which brand of windows do you have, that are air and water tight ? Are they wood, metal or plastic, I wonder? Single or double glazing ?

Thanks for any good info biggrin.png

Cheers thumbsup.gif

For the roof area which is a flat concrete roof... on the inside have put fiberglass insulation in the ceiling area. On top of the roof it will have a few inches of dirt and laid grass for a roof top garden.

Windows called for are Windsor clad aluminum ....8mm single glazed.... fixed and wood entry doors are 12mm glass with rubber seals around the doors. All are single glazed as most (if not all) double glazed windows exposed to the sun and heat have seal breaks after awhile. Am presently investigating aluminum windows that are made for double glazed panes and putting in larger single glass panes (12mm -15 mm) instead. As for Air and water tight.....As air and water tight as windows can be.

Hope that's of some help

Edited by beachproperty

I agree with beachproperty - the concepts are all good, but they can also be done using standard building techniques, with a finished product that doesn't feel like you've just built a cardboard box wink.png

In my latest personal building project (a 180sqm man-cave) I am using some similar types of techniques:

Walls: Smartwood siding > C Line (making an air gap) > Foil > Hebel blocks > Air Gap > Red blocks > Render. (note: red blocks so I can hang things from the wall securely - hebel sucks for that). On the wall that catches the afternoon sun, I have in addition on the inside: C-Line > Gyproc Thermaline. Exterior walls have small vents at the bottom, and the airgap between brink courses vents into the roof crawl space.

Roof: Big overhanging trees (!) > CPAC tiles > C-line > Foil > air gap (big one tongue.png) > C-line > Gyproc Thermaline + extra 15mm standard gypsum (so no rattles from bass). The roof is a dutch hip design, with vents at either end to let hot air escape, and it also has ventilated soffits on the 'cool' side of the house.

Windows/Doors: All are double glazed, with AGC Solartag glass for the outside pane, using aluminum frames.

This is an extension of concepts I've used in the past (new additions are the Thermaline, the foil under the siding, and double glazing), and they worked very well, so I'm expecting this to also be a successful strategy.. fingers crossed smile.png

I do like beachproperty's idea on solar PV panels.. why go to all this trouble when you can have free AC anyway? :D :D :D

Edited by IMHO

I agree with beachproperty - the concepts are all good, but they can also be done using standard building techniques, with a finished product that doesn't feel like you've just built a cardboard box wink.png

In my latest personal building project (a 180sqm man-cave) I am using some similar types of techniques:

Walls: Smartwood siding > C Line (making an air gap) > Foil > Hebel blocks > Air Gap > Red blocks > Render. (note: red blocks so I can hang things from the wall securely - hebel sucks for that). On the wall that catches the afternoon sun, I have in addition on the inside: C-Line > Gyproc Thermaline. Exterior walls have small vents at the bottom, and the airgap between brink courses vents into the roof crawl space.

Roof: Big overhanging trees (!) > CPAC tiles > C-line > Foil > air gap (big one tongue.png) > C-line > Gyproc Thermaline + extra 15mm standard gypsum (so no rattles from bass). The roof is a dutch hip design, with vents at either end to let hot air escape, and it also has ventilated soffits on the 'cool' side of the house.

Windows/Doors: All are double glazed, with AGC Solartag glass for the outside pane, using aluminum frames.

This is an extension of concepts I've used in the past (new additions are the Thermaline, the foil under the siding, and double glazing), and they worked very well, so I'm expecting this to also be a successful strategy.. fingers crossed smile.png

I do like beachproperty's idea on solar PV panels.. why go to all this trouble when you can have free AC anyway? :D :D :D

Pictures?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks, beachproperty - great info, there!

We have plans to do a build soon, but haven't yet decided about whether to use alu or upvc glass windows and doors.

I'm still not sure what's better to use.......wood is definitely out, due to the rampaging termites. Double glazing would be great, but probably too expensive....whistling.gif

The same consideration is needed for all door frames - one house we were in (a few years ago) saw some of the door frames being eaten away from the floor level.......blink.png

Thanks to IMHO, too - some really good info, too.

Cheers wink.png