VIDEO: Building a House in Thailand - Start to finish

Very good.

Where is it?

How long did it take?

How much did it cost?

The only thing i didn't like was the chrome pole bannister. Too GoGo bar looking for me. A nice solid wood one would look better.

Dig the man toilet, every home should have one.

• Like 1

Thx ..very good video

My quetion too...how much did the house cost ,did you make the plan and buy the materials or all in price ?

In my opinion the work was rather clean .,

But as I see the vid you were allways on the site.

Greetz

Djidji

Jomtien

Where is the video of you getting upset with the cost of materials, the sub-contractors, and having it out with your lady over constantly make changes...?

Edited by ggt
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post. I played it 4 times and saw only about 50 things that would make my head pop off. End result post would be great. What's good, what's not good, and what did it take to make right what was not?

Great topic! Very informative! It could not have arrived at a better time. House construction video - fantastic. Other - a bit long - am still persisting.

Regrets? Things you would do the same again? Things you would not repeat? etc.

Two questions - pricing - did you buy your own mats? Labour - method of billing?

Typical Thai built: nice looking, but.. stupidly built.

First of all: what is the resistance of the soil against all the weight on top ? Or accept cracks in the walls after a couple of years.

The width of the fundation is just as wide as the walls above it. Why not building it on a much wider foot of the foundation, for instance 65-80 cm, so the weight of all above is spread over a much larger area to have bigger resistance to sagging of the house. Additional costs: maybe 10,000 THB.

No thermal insulation used, not in the walls, and especially not in the roof. Only a thin alu layer which only has some advantage against water leaking. Cooling cost 7 x so much in electricity as heating. Better pay an additional 100,000 THB in insulation as every month 3000 THB in electricity.

In 2002 we had a Thai architect here in Netherlands. When he returned, he said we convinced him he did know insufficient about building in the tropics.

• Like 1

Looks nice, but I would hate that stupid pillar in the living room.

Never a Thai heard of static calculation and bring pressure to the outside

On this way a pole under one of the 4 corners of my 3 store+ roof house was diverted to a "sleeper" and a "dreamer" pole in the window.

Edited by puipuitom

Thanks for the post. I played it 4 times and saw only about 50 things that would make my head pop off. End result post would be great. What's good, what's not good, and what did it take to make right what was not?

Very interested to learn:

- what YOU would do different ( head pop off.. so why ? and .. how to do different)

- what the builder would do different a next time and why !

First of all: what is the resistance of the soil against all the weight on top ? Or accept cracks in the walls after a couple of years.

The width of the fundation is just as wide as the walls above it. Why not building it on a much wider foot of the foundation, for instance 65-80 cm, so the weight of all above is spread over a much larger area to have bigger resistance to sagging of the house. Additional costs: maybe 10,000 THB.

No thermal insulation used, not in the walls, and especially not in the roof. Only a thin alu layer which only has some advantage against water leaking. Cooling cost 7 x so much in electricity as heating. Better pay an additional 100,000 THB in insulation as every month 3000 THB in electricity.

In 2002 we had a Thai architect here in Netherlands. When he returned, he said we convinced him he did know insufficient about building in the tropics.

Typical Thai built: nice looking, but.. stupidly built. ... Can't you just admire the nice job without a negative comment ... you don't have to live in it.

First of all: what is the resistance of the soil against all the weight on top ? ... Well, you don't know do you ... so why comment? Where I live in Thailand you put down footings sometimes 20 metres deep because it's the Bangkok mud plain. In other parts, where it's essentially solid clay and rock, so, with good substructure ... a metre or two is just fine.

No thermal insulation used, not in the walls, and especially not in the roof. Only a thin alu layer which only has some advantage against water leaking. ... the reflective foil is a good insulator ... we have used it in our place. Plus, how do you know that there wasn't another layer of insulation on top of the ceiling?

In 2002 we had a Thai architect here in Netherlands. When he returned, he said we convinced him he did know insufficient about building in the tropics. He was just being polite to you. If you didn't recognise that ... facepalm.gif

Typical Thai built: nice looking, but.. stupidly built. ... Can't you just admire the nice job without a negative comment ... you don't have to live in it. Correct. I saw a house collapsed in Ram Intra Soi 13 where my business parter's parents live. All inhabitants were crushed. My entire comment is, with a budget of a few extra % the house could have been a lot better. As that architect we brought to NL already practise a 12 years.

First of all: what is the resistance of the soil against all the weight on top ? ... Well, you don't know do you ... so why comment? Where I live in Thailand you put down footings sometimes 20 metres deep because it's the Bangkok mud plain. In other parts, where it's essentially solid clay and rock, so, with good substructure ... a metre or two is just fine.

I do not speak about concrete poles deep into the soil, I speak about a wide footer, maybe 60-80 cm level under the walking floor, made under the walls.

No thermal insulation used, not in the walls, and especially not in the roof. Only a thin alu layer which only has some advantage against water leaking. ... the reflective foil is a good insulator ... we have used it in our place. Plus, how do you know that there wasn't another layer of insulation on top of the ceiling? You can see that on the video. Foil, especially of a conductor like metal, has no thermal insulation effect. Only "locked air" has, as in extruded polyethylene etc or in glass or rockwool.

In 2002 we had a Thai architect here in Netherlands. When he returned, he said we convinced him he did know insufficient about building in the tropics. He was just being polite to you. If you didn't recognise that ... facepalm.gif

No, I saw later since 2002 how he changed his constructions and designs. Every 1-2 years I see him or here or in TH. Edited by puipuitom

Where I live in Thailand you put down footings sometimes 20 metres deep because it's the Bangkok mud plain. In other parts, where it's essentially solid clay and rock, so, with good substructure ... a metre or two is just fine.[/color]

Hammering concrete poles into the soil is a waste of money for a 1-3 floor house.

See a house as a concrete boat: not so difficult to calculate the total weigth of the house when ready pressing on the soil under it..

So, need to dig a cellar under it giving about the amount of upweight force in a muddy area ( or enough diverting space for the pressure on the soil the carrying weigth is sufficient spread.

Make windows in ( see lichtkolk) in case of again flooding in central Thailand, and you have an additional floor under your house, which is free-of-charge cooled by the ground water till about 27-28C in the tropics

Also carrying poles in a house can be diverted to the walls, see attached. It is a matter of static calculation.

post-7327-0-04607200-1401526589_thumb.jp

post-7327-0-88903700-1401526661_thumb.jp

Nice...I hope all your dreams come true in it......

The only observation I have is what I have of all Thai structures including our house in Hang Dong....in the event of a quake what chance to we have....in our two story house I have 3 bedrooms above me waiting to fall on me as I sit here in the living room underneath.

I was 4 miles away from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake when it occurred. If you have not personally witnessed an event like that up close it is an unbelievable thing to experience.

During a major quake Thailand would not fare well...the California homes at that time were built against earthquakes and they didn't do too well.

Scary what could take place here.

Side note not pertaining to above:

I did at one time live in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house built in the 1940's...through all the years and quakes, land shifts. and settling the seamless abutted glass never even chipped or moved......like living in an aquarium looking out with almost a 300 degree view...great house - the ex still might be happily living there bless her heart......miss that house......

This is a typical thai built house

With typical labour practices

Many things not done correctly but my pen rai

Just go to q con block site and watch vidieo of correct methods of installation

Just to give 1 example

Anyway again very normal practices in this country