Finding reasonably priced, quality Muesli or Granola, any suggestions?

Having been through at least 4 brands over the last few months I'm still unable to find a decent reasonably priced muesli in Thailand. Back In the UK I used to buy Dorset Muesli, I have seen it here in several stores but the price is just insane especially when you are going through a couple of boxes a week. A lot of the others I have tried are just way to sweet, they are possibly doing this to appeal to the Thai sweet tooth.

Any suggestions from fellow muesli connoisseurs would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thank you. I had not heard of YOK, will find my nearest and check it out today if I can get to one. It was the last straw today when I bought a Swiss muesli from Foodland and founnd it super sweet, at over 250 THB, I find it very annoying.

For the grains,
If you have a "YOK" store near you they sell everything.
Rimping would be my second choice, they have it but more expensive.
Tops is also an ingredient contender.

Which brand is that McGarret? Also what Thai brands are you refering to?

There is one imported brand with fruit and nuts that is cheaper than any other - even local brands. I just mix it with cheap rolled outs to make it even less expensive and it still tastes fine.

Which brand is that McGarret? Also what Thai brands are you refering to?

There is one imported brand with fruit and nuts that is cheaper than any other - even local brands. I just mix it with cheap rolled outs to make it even less expensive and it still tastes fine.

I think that it is McGarret, but am not positive - maybe Hahne? I'm not sure of the Thai brands, but one is called something like "Chunky Monkey" and it tastes great and has very good ingredients, but is not inexpensive compared to some of the imports.

Inspired by this thread I just had for lunch, from stuff lying around the kitchen,

4 spoonful of rolled oats

12 raisins

6 frozen raspberries

1 Dutchie Coconut yoghurt.

Stirred together, it was very nice.

Throw in a Magnum, the ice cream, not the condom, and a good nutritional breakfast me thinks...thumbsup.gif

Life is too short to worry about the price of muesli. If you like Dorset Muesli buy it and think about all the money you are saving on other things.

Quite...the OP referred to himself as a "muesli connoisseur"

A true connoisseur isn't worried about the price...

• Like 2

Life is too short to worry about the price of muesli. If you like Dorset Muesli buy it and think about all the money you are saving on other things.

The OP wasn't worried about price, he was worried about taste.

When you make it yourself, you have total control.

You can spend as much as you like on the ingredients.

The OP wasn't worried about price, he was worried about taste.

When you make it yourself, you have total control.

You can spend as much as you like on the ingredients.

tongue.png

"I used to buy Dorset Muesli, I have seen it here in several stores but the price is just insane"

I want to know what's in the "Chunky Monkey"....w00t.gif

I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur if I had only tried four brands in a few months considering he eats it like a horse.

Again whether it's that bottle of Petrus, Cherries, Marmite or whatever. Just buy it. You could be broke or dead tomorrow.

I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur if I had only tried four brands in a few months considering he eats it like a horse.

Again whether it's that bottle of Petrus, Cherries, Marmite or whatever. Just buy it. You could be broke or dead tomorrow.

I cleared the shelves of Bovril one time in Villa, all 15 jars...Mrs S not impressed though...sad.png

• Like 1

If you can find it, check out the "Lowans" brand for oatmeal and muesli, the quality of their product is first rate and it's really cheap, one month of breakfast oatmeal costs me 150 baht (I bought the last three bags from Rimping two days ago :)

Their Muesli is equally as healthy etc.and is highly recommended, difficult to find some times.

As other posters have advised (for some reason I cannot use the quote option tonight), the wife just bought a 1kg bag of Tesco Swiss style for 160 baht and it looks pretty decent for the cost. The 185 baht bag is the Hahne brand from Germany. Either way, buy a few extra dried fruits and some extra nuts and Bob's your uncle.

Making your own is the cheapest and best option as long as you can find some decent dried fruit. We don't live in a big city like CM so our choices are extremely limited as the cost of the dried fruit cancels out any savings of mixing it with the cheap rolled oats.

As other posters have advised (for some reason I cannot use the quote option tonight), the wife just bought a 1kg bag of Tesco Swiss style for 160 baht and it looks pretty decent for the cost. The 185 baht bag is the Hahne brand from Germany. Either way, buy a few extra dried fruits and some extra nuts and Bob's your uncle.

Making your own is the cheapest and best option as long as you can find some decent dried fruit. We don't live in a big city like CM so our choices are extremely limited as the cost of the dried fruit cancels out any savings of mixing it with the cheap rolled oats.

No benefits in using dried fruit. Fresh fruit is better.

The Bircher Benner Swiss recipe I posted the link for, all fresh fruit.

Onece you have the rolled oats, you can make it from items found in any Thai market.

1 tablespoon rolled oats

3 tablespoons of water

1 tablespoon cream yoghurt/milk

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon fresh lemon lime juice

1 apple, unpeeled and grated

1 tablespoon berries

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican