Does anyone on here actually enjoy the heat?

Pattaya Pat

In my experience I've always found that people who worship the heat are a little, well, simple..

Being hot/sweating is a not a comfortable or pleasant experience in any way....the exception maybe if you fancy half hour on the beach or by the pool, but that's about it IMO..

I would have thought if you don't like heat Thailand is not the best place in the world to live, but I'm only guessing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience I've always found that people who worship the heat are a little, well, simple..

Being hot/sweating is a not a comfortable or pleasant experience in any way....the exception maybe if you fancy half hour on the beach or by the pool, but that's about it IMO..

I would have thought if you don't like heat Thailand is not the best place in the world to live, but I'm only guessing.

That's right, only people who like the heat live here. Thanks for the insight.

Going by the same logic I assume that only people who like the cold should live in the West.

Edited by Pattaya Pat

I now enjoy the heat because I have air conditioning. I can now have heat or not depending on how I feel. I enjoy both heat and cool. Talking about the heat there is one idea that I saw in Phoenix that works quite well for cooling. Phoenix in the summer is even hotter than Thailand. Phoenix is so hot that if you walk outdoors at mid day you will be alone and people in vehicles will stare at you like you have 2 heads.

If you have an outdoor patio or living space, get small diameter clear plastic tubing - puncture small needle sized holes in the tubing. Mount it up high and turn on the water. A nice cooling mist sprays out. Because Phoenix is so dry, one does not even get wet. They have this system on the outdoor patios of pubs. Very refreshing. Because of the humidity here I am unsure whether you would need to wear a bathing suit. Evaporation is a very cooling process - endothermic reaction. Water is very inexpensive compared to electricity.

You mention heat, I'm drooling with envy, I love it.

Some warmth would be great, it's freezing in Melbourne at present, I'll be in Alice Springs in a few weeks, can't wait to get out of this ice box.

Mate, you are in for a real treat. Those big, open, clear, unpolluted skies at night where you can just about reach up and touch the stars. Of course it will be -2 to-5 degrees C at the time. 30 in the day,

You've never been to inland Oz have you? It can get bloody cold.

Like the warm weather in Thailand, never put the Air con on no need a fan is just fine, I come from northern Queensland so not much different.

Me too. Lived in the Pilbara and the NT as well. If only people learned from the past. You know what a Queenslander is. Yet all the new houses are concrete fortresses that cost a fortune to make liveable with air con etc. No different to the new condo developments in Thailand.

Our place in NQ has an air con in the main bedroom and it doesn't get used much at all. The rest is big verandahs and ceiling fans.

Slowly doing the same with the wifes place in Thailand, though a lot harder as it is already a concrete box. Still ,building a decent verandah all around and putting in some ceiling insulation and a solar powered whirlybird roof vent will fix a lot of the heat problems. Biggest whinger about the heat is the missus. Me - just get wet inside and out!!

• Like 2

Personally like it. Cooler than summer temperature where I worked. Lack of a steady breeze and constant humidity doesn't help but could be worse. Used to have a couple of bad months a year at work when going outside was like breathing water.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Keep complaining to my wife about the heat and she tells me This is Thailand.

Can't argue.......

My g/s said to me once too.

I am sweating as hell too specially my head but I feel better when i see many Thai's who have same problem. They are not immune to heat even born here.

After 6 months somehow I learned how to avoid it ...as much as possible.

The heat isn't a problem, it's the humidity. In my younger years I worked outside in 50-55 degrees in the summer months, wasn't a problem as it was dry with no sweat, sorry, perspiration. Just keep drinking water.

Now wasn't the weather in Bangkok and Pattaya absolutely wonderful from about November to early February, if I remember correctly. Loved seeing the locals freezing their socks off in 22 degrees !

Back in Uk after 6 months in Thailand.Yes it was cooler than usual and rather pleasant november to march but it did get hot april may.I have no aircon and some night with only fans I struggled with the heat .Daytimes on motorbike no problems and plenty of cool shops and malls plus swiming pool.

At the moment 4 weeks back Uk and have had only a few hot days yet and many cool/cold ones.

Overall I would rather put up with the heat in Thailand than stay in the cold UK

• Like 1

Does the hot weather make for hot girls?

no, but you can certainly see whats on offer more clearly

Right, like the ladies working in the fields. can't even see the eyes, they are so wrapped upbiggrin.png.

I have been living in Thailand for 3 years ( before i lived in the canary islands for 20 years ) And i love the heat! after all that's one of the reasons i enjoy Thailand.In 3 years i have spent almost "every day outside in the sun".( only heavy rain keeps me indoors) Thailand offers an " outdoor lifestyle " I find it quite strange for people that come to live in Thailand and complain about the heat!! ( and ones that "sit indoors all day" in aircon! why bother coming to live in Thailand ? ) One of the great things i like over here is " riding a bicycle " most people would think its too hot but actually it's a fab way to get around- it's NOT hot and you keep fit too!

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

Great news Pat, air conditioning is available.

What everywhere you go??? Now that would be good.

Yes, have air con inside, but who wants to be holed up all day at home with all the doors and windows closed not wanting to go outside because it's too frigging hot?? Pretty sad way to live IMO.

Well, let's see, I can leave my a/c house, get on my Harley, and ride in the countryside. No problem with the heat when the wind is in your face. You can ride to a male or female friends' a/c or pool house. I can also ride to little a/c drinking holes, restaurants, barber and massage parlors, etc. Have you tried the malls? These new Central Festival Malls with the ice skating rinks are great--ever seen a Thai ice skate? Be smarter than the problem, any old fart can just bitch about things--things they should have known, too.

I was in Las Vegas last summer , it was a heatwave there with record temperatures up to 45 degrees, but it felt like January in Thailand, and I was walking outside without sweating . Why? The humidity, the air is so dry in Vegas that you don't feel the heat so much.

I have beeen using too much aircon since March and was hoping it would get cooler and humidity would drop in June, but so far no change. So I stay indoor most of the time and electricity bill is double than normal.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

I don't understand how anyone can like the high humidity and high temperatures.

Don't get me wrong I like hot weather. I worked in the Middle East for many years and enjoyed the heat except for July August when it was stinking hot with high humidity.

Three or four showers a day gets a bit boring along with sweating copiously every time you go anywhere. YMMV

That said people usually don't end up in a country unless it's their choice.

Choosing to live somewhere where you can't bear the temperature (hot or cold) seems somewhat strange.

So the question stands.... if someone doesn't like the heat why on earth did they opt to come and live here?

There's a big difference between not liking something and being unable to bear something.

I dont like sport but I dont throw a wobbly when the sports news comes on the TV. I just change the channel. In the same way I change the temperature and humidity in my condo to suit what I like best.

Why did I come to live here? Zero income tax and an easy retirement visa were very high on my list. Closely followed by (fairly) reliable infrastructure/utilities/services, and tasty local food. Add a good sea view from my condo and that's about it.

As they say, "two seasons in Thailand, hot, and hotter". I go there for about 30-60 days and I don't mind the heat. I go for swimming, the beach water, a pool, tropical foliage, so I expect heat. At night I wish it would cool off a bit so I can enjoy walking more with less sweating. But I love sitting outside at night with a little sea breeze and a warm temperature. Too much heat during the day can make some tourisiting a bit harsh. I love things like Nong Nooch, or the Kon Kahn or Dusit Zoo. But pretty miserable sight seeing in Bangkok sometimes.

Love the heat, and the humidity even more. It's great when working out, and like nature's sauna, for free no less. Also, keeps the skin in excellent condition. Just be sure to replace lost fluids and avoid direct UV as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I am living here in Thailand and love this perfect "outdoor lifestyle" my worst nightmare would be to be indoors with the air con on max -What a hideous thought!

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app