Black mustard seeds and other Indian ingredients

Seastallion

I love cooking> My two favourite genres are Thai and Indian. I live in Hat Yai, and for the life of me I can not find black mustard seeds, without which most of my Indian repertoire is sub-standard. I can find ground cummin (jeera), but would prefer whole seeds. I can find fresh tumeric, but would prefer powder (odd that, isn't it, wanting dried and not fresh food?), but can not find it. Other Indian spices I would love to get my hands on are a good garam masala, aijwan, hing (asafoetida) powder,.....but my biggest desires are whole mustard seeds (black, and the big ones preferably) and whole jeera seeds, and haldi (tumeric powder). Without them I am lost.

Does anyone know, particularly in the South, where I might find these? I believe there are Indians here, but I have yet to see any that are not obviously tourists, otherwise I would not be backward in approaching them and asking. (I am that desperate! lol).

Haldi is usually available in most markets in Thailand, jeera seeds definitely are.

The day market in Songkhla was always good and there is covered market in Hat yai which i am sure would stock such stuff.

I buy black mustard seeds (when available) from Makro.

But, you are little more than spitting distance from the Malaysian border where all these things are easily available and cheaper too.

When I lived down there (about 10 years ago now) I used to do regular shopping trips across the border.

• Like 1

have a trip up to bkk.there is an indian market there[phahurat] its next to china town.they will have it all and more.i find some of the spices sold in supermarkets have no taste to them.

• Like 1

TOPS and Makro in Bangkok both stock a range of spices, definitely including cumin seeds, powdered turmeric and black and yellow mustard seeds. Not sure about the lovage and asafoetida. Haven't looked. I presume you've already tried the Hat Yai branches of both?

TOPS and Makro in Bangkok both stock a range of spices, definitely including cumin seeds, powdered turmeric and black and yellow mustard seeds. Not sure about the lovage and asafoetida. Haven't looked. I presume you've already tried the Hat Yai branches of both?

Aijwan is lovage? Ta, nice to know. There is no Makro here that I am aware of, but will stand to be corrected. I have scoured every shelf in every aisle in both BigC and Tops, to no avail.