Low ledges in thailand, short thais or poor safety engineering.

tangcoral

Remember....life is cheap here.

Its commonplace to notice the lack of health and safety here, as it is easy to be overburdened by our over the top western rules.

Whoever located the seating in that area could do with watching a reconstruction of their child climbing on the chair to look over, then perhaps the penny will drop.

In the uk balustrades are set at 1100mm high,ten year ago it was 950mm.

if the drop exceeds 4m then you are simply not allowed to have any horizontal bar or anything adjacent to step on from 150 to 750 from the floor..

Did you ever go the cinema foyer in central and look over that one....now that's a scary scary drop.

Yesterday I was walking around the landing over the warorot indoor market, that railing didn't reach my waist and I too was thinking a leap of faith from here wouldn't turn out too well.

"Remember....life is cheap here."

Oh for heaven's sake, give it a rest. Your pomposity is appalling.

Life is apparently cheap in places like Afghanistan and Iraq where hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians are killed by the armies of people who consider themselves the righteous arbiters of who lives or dies and labels its victims as "collateral damage."

Do you ever see 5 foreigners on a motor bike. From the time they are children they have been subjected to the need for balance and it is second nature to them where as we have to think about it in many of those situations.

t

As you can see from this afternoons snapshot, westerners are too big.....but they want to try

post-150623-14022305878092_thumb.jpg

And the chinese, well...I can only assume there is another baby in a paint bucket t`other side to balance

post-150623-14022307489888_thumb.jpg

Its commonplace to notice the lack of health and safety here, as it is easy to be overburdened by our over the top western rules.

Whoever located the seating in that area could do with watching a reconstruction of their child climbing on the chair to look over, then perhaps the penny will drop.

if the drop exceeds 4m then you are simply not allowed to have any horizontal bar or anything adjacent to step on from 150 to 750 from the floor..

Did you ever go the cinema foyer in central and look over that one....now that's a scary scary drop.

Yesterday I was walking around the landing over the warorot indoor market, that railing didn't reach my waist and I too was thinking a leap of faith from here wouldn't turn out too well.

Life is apparently cheap in places like Afghanistan and Iraq where hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians are killed by the armies of people who consider themselves the righteous arbiters of who lives or dies and labels its victims as "collateral damage."

Do you ever see 5 foreigners on a motor bike. From the time they are children they have been subjected to the need for balance and it is second nature to them where as we have to think about it in many of those situations.

t

As you can see from this afternoons snapshot, westerners are too big.....but they want to try

attachicon.gif1402230542180.jpg

And the chinese, well...I can only assume there is another baby in a paint bucket t`other side to balance

attachicon.gif1402230696258.jpg

You were two foreigners short on the one and two over on the other one are you trying to say average them out.

By the way the foreigner on the back of the bike beware of her she is the type who would use you to get to me.tongue.png

t

That "Chinese" shot is transparently photoshopped, but...... I like it! thumbsup.gif

You have to remember, Thailand is approx 40 years behind the developed world with regards to safety. It's like being 10 years old again in England. As usual, Thailand has to "re-invent the wheel" rather than learn from the outside world.....

Well I am 40, and Thailand isn't anywhere up with the level of the UK 40 years ago.

Let's be honest here, getting an electric tickle off the oven isn't exactly unexpected. In fact it's worse, because they have jumped straight to a world of hedge trimmers and bread knives without the publicised disasters.

I've often wondered about it too,

noticing how ridiculously short the room patio railings were on any high rise hotel,

to the point I felt uncomfortable even being out on the patio.

xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

• Like 1

t

That "Chinese" shot is transparently photoshopped, but...... I like it! thumbsup.gif

I don't think it is. I had seen it before only it was a side on shot. Maybe a posed one.

Blame it on the Cleaner? Gotta watch those cleaning ladies, they will change all the engineers great plans. No one at the top, ever takes responsibility, now even us farangs are blaming the lowest on the rung!

I guess that's a reference to my post?

I'm not blaming the cleaners for the construction, but for positioning the row of seats against the rail. If the seats were half a meter from the rail, there would be no issue.

I'd guess that's about a normal height for balustrades/railings in Thailand.

I've often wondered about it too,

noticing how ridiculously short the room patio railings were on any high rise hotel,

to the point I felt uncomfortable even being out on the patio.

xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

that was my point.

the Thais are raised with it from the minute they are born. they are raised to balance on a motorbike some times up to 5 it comes natural to them. They have a well developed sense of balance. Where as we from the nanny countries do not. We think we do but the reality is it is very limited compared to the Thais.

They are learning very slowly that we are here to stay and will be making the adjustments to are inability to cope with things that come natural to them. We may lean over a short railing on the 20th floor but chances are we will feel hesitant to do it where as they won't.