Low ledges in thailand, short thais or poor safety engineering.

tangcoral

Remember....life is cheap here.

Its commonplace to notice the lack of health and safety here, as it is easy to be overburdened by our over the top western rules.

Whoever located the seating in that area could do with watching a reconstruction of their child climbing on the chair to look over, then perhaps the penny will drop.

In the uk balustrades are set at 1100mm high,ten year ago it was 950mm.

if the drop exceeds 4m then you are simply not allowed to have any horizontal bar or anything adjacent to step on from 150 to 750 from the floor..

Did you ever go the cinema foyer in central and look over that one....now that's a scary scary drop.

Yesterday I was walking around the landing over the warorot indoor market, that railing didn't reach my waist and I too was thinking a leap of faith from here wouldn't turn out too well.

• Like 1

Yup, I know that spot by the escalator very well, as well as the one in Wararot eyecatcher mentioned. My g/f or I always keep a very close eye (and hand) on our child whenever we are at either place (or a thousand other places in Thailand).

To me, the 8th wonders of this world is how come all those tall building in Thailand

don't implode on collapse on to them selves on a daily bases knowing how shoddy

local workmanship is and can be...

• Like 2

To me, the 8th wonders of this world is how come all those tall building in Thailand

for good reason, the tall building tenders are usually won by Western contractors.

A clue usually is a site perimeter fencing with the hard hat/hi viz signs posted everywhere..............and steel scaffolding not bambooooooooo!

I know, I went with my gf to her dentist recently. Very modern 'futuristic' building. The entrance up to the clinic was a two-storey ramp about 4ft wide with no handrail on either side. When we left it had been raining so ceramic steps slippery. Have to put up with this if one does not want to live in a nanny state, eh?. Take care ...

for good reason, the tall building tenders are usually won by Western contractors.

A clue usually is a site perimeter fencing with the hard hat/hi viz signs posted everywhere..............and steel scaffolding not bambooooooooo!

right. or Western/Thai co-ventures such as ITALTHAI construction group. i was in Bangkok the other day and these cranes are everywhere displaying the logo. they are also building the new under? over? pass in Mae Rim.

Its commonplace to notice the lack of health and safety here, as it is easy to be overburdened by our over the top western rules.

Whoever located the seating in that area could do with watching a reconstruction of their child climbing on the chair to look over, then perhaps the penny will drop.

if the drop exceeds 4m then you are simply not allowed to have any horizontal bar or anything adjacent to step on from 150 to 750 from the floor..

Did you ever go the cinema foyer in central and look over that one....now that's a scary scary drop.

Yesterday I was walking around the landing over the warorot indoor market, that railing didn't reach my waist and I too was thinking a leap of faith from here wouldn't turn out too well.

"Remember....life is cheap here."

Oh for heaven's sake, give it a rest. Your pomposity is appalling.

Life is apparently cheap in places like Afghanistan and Iraq where hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians are killed by the armies of people who consider themselves the righteous arbiters of who lives or dies and labels its victims as "collateral damage."

Maybe Michael Moore didn't tell you this, but the US actually had 38 other countries join it in the coalition in the Persian Gulf War, dozens of allies joined us in Afghanistan...and I recall Sadaam killing 170,000 Kurds one sunny afternoon in Iraq.

Parents shouldn't let their kids run loose in public, anywhere, except a secure child play area. They actually do make leashes for kids...some parents should consider it, or maybe just refraining from taking their brats out in busy areas until they mature a little bit. It has a lot to do with being considerate of others.

We used to get about 2 dozen child drownings per year in Phoenix....bad gate, careless parents.....and add another 5 or 6 left in their 150F cars while their loving mommies went in to have their nails done.

Glad I'm not your kid although agree it might have been better and safer for all if US and other forces had been kept on a leash.........

Life is apparently cheap in places like Afghanistan and Iraq where hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians are killed by the armies of people who consider themselves the righteous arbiters of who lives or dies and labels its victims as "collateral damage."

sorry but you are going to be in the tiniest of minorities with that opinion...get real.

Just look at what you read every single day:

tragic accidents in hotel pools;

multiple death car crashes every day

multiple death coach crashes every month

revenge murders in bars

drownings in the local dams

multiple "jump" suicide victims

motorbike casualties every day

Now ok, you think Thailand has a caring and conscius attitude to health and safety, and compulsory personal insurance, and public liabilty insurance which is what WE are all used to.

we are not in Afghan ir Iraq, a warzone......this is supposed to be a country trying (if only by technology) to catch up with the Western world; sadly its light years behind and its residents are not even on the list of priorities...

IMHO.

You forgot electrocution in a hotel swimming pool. (two teens died recently). Amazing that the standards exist, but no one gives a damn.

sorry but you are going to be in the tiniest of minorities with that opinion...get real.

Just look at what you read every single day:

tragic accidents in hotel pools;

multiple death car crashes every day

multiple death coach crashes every month

revenge murders in bars

drownings in the local dams

multiple "jump" suicide victims

motorbike casualties every day

Now ok, you think Thailand has a caring and conscius attitude to health and safety, and compulsory personal insurance, and public liabilty insurance which is what WE are all used to.

we are not in Afghan ir Iraq, a warzone......this is supposed to be a country trying (if only by technology) to catch up with the Western world; sadly its light years behind and its residents are not even on the list of priorities...

IMHO.

You forgot electrocution in a hotel swimming pool. (two teens died recently). Amazing that the standards exist, but no one gives a damn.
Top of my list!!

Have no fear.. Those big 'international standard' towers you see will have been managed from the conception to completion by expat project and construction managers. I am in construction finance and worked in Bangkok, Jakarta and Hong Kong on such projects and I can tell you there is no way a client Thai, Chinese, Japanese, European or otherwise who are funding such a tower would appoint a locally educated Thai to run it's construction. Never ever. Perhaps a Thai educated abroad with 20 years experience in say Dubai but even still (would probably wouldn't happen either as the Arabs would never allow a non-euro/American run their jobs either). I have met great Thai engineers with a good knowledge of international standards and keen to learn, but a Thai client building a $200 million dollar tower will be employing an expat/expat construction/project management consultant to run the job on a typical $15-$20 USD per month salary who has extensive experience and a chartered qualification. Risk leaving it to a local and you'd end up with delays, costing 10s of thousands of dollars a day and quality issues all over the place. It just wouldn't happen on one of the prestigious projects you see. On the lower budget projects around town where they've tried to do it on the cheap they are absolutely riddled with build issues and are always in delay

• Like 2

It seems to me to be more of an issue of the chair positioning Rather tha design Iissue.

600 mm from the seat to top of the rail makes the rail about a metre which is about normal, and more than adequate if the chairs weren't there.

Move the row of chairs and there is no issue, and no thrashing of all things Thai, from architects down, is required.

Having said that, the current situation is entirely unsatisfactory, but consider that the chairs may have been positioned by a cleaner?? I'm almost sure when I last used one of these rows of chairs that they were well away from the rail, therefore no risk.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I'm unable to further edit my post above.

Perhaps the airport management would benefit from a visit by a risk analyst, but somebody in airport management must take that initiative.......... and there, my friends, lies the REAL problem.

Then it's a good thing we're not in Afghanistan or Iraq. coffee1.gif

He's right, life is cheap here. However, that is not the reason they build low ledges. They build them because they don't plan well (or at all), have poor construction / engineering skills, often don't use measuring tapes or sticks, and historically, Asians in the past have generally been much shorter than westerners. It also makes no sense to fix them when it would be cheaper to pay off a family of someone who went over. Economics 101. Your western brain doesn't want to agree with such a horrible thing, and it shouldn't, but that's how it is.

Unless you've served and are intimately familiar with the rules of engagement, you haven't a clue.

• Like 1

Apparently you don't know as much as you think you do.

In all fairness you are overstating the figures. Here in Thailand we have 6,000 killed the same way in just three of are provinces.

To be honest with you many of these items were built with the Thai in mind. Look around at all the low sitting furniture defiantly not built for foreigners. One other thing is when the Thai's build they are still in the process of learning about the foreigners lack of balance. Do you ever see 5 foreigners on a motor bike. From the time they are children they have been subjected to the need for balance and it is second nature to them where as we have to think about it in many of those situations.

I don't go around looking at the new condo's but I wonder if they are starting to catch on to the idea that a foreigner needs a higher railing.

mine is an older building and only has a 62 centimeter high railing.

Just a thought

When it comes to health and safety life is incredibly cheap here.. And until Thais actually internalize that rather continue to practice unsafe behaviors the expression will always apply...

Just this morning a observed a speeding pick up weaving in and out of traffic and watching its 6 or 7 passengers all standing in the bed weaving as well...

It would be comical if it wasn't so stupid and inches to contributing to thailand's amazing roadside kill rate...