Savannakhet Border at the Weekend

Hi. I have to do my first visa run soon. My current visa expires on the 14th, which is this Saturday. I am going to take a trip to Savannakhet to get a new visa.

I know that the consulate will be closed on the weekend, but I am considering entering Laos on Saturday morning and just hanging out there until Monday morning to start my visa application (as opposed to leaving today and getting back before the weekend). I know Savannakhet isn't considered the most exciting place in the world but it will be nice to take a couple extra days with some peace and quiet away from the city.

I wanted to check with you guys about the steps involved with getting to Savannakhet on a weekend. I assume I won't have any trouble doing this trip and that all the services will be open and available but I want to make sure these steps won't be a problem, schedule-wise:

- A bus from Mo Chit to Mukdahan leaving Friday evening.

- The international bus to Savannakhet on Saturday

- The Thai and Lao border checkpoints on Saturday

Thanks for the help folks.

DF

No problem the bridge is open until 10 pm 365 days a year.

You will probably be charged an extra 100 baht for the Lao visa for overtime.

I'm assuming ur new to SEA but if you play it cool - get your passport back, usually then ur asked for an extra $1-$2 depending on how naive u appear. The request isnt specific to a weekend or week day - If u pretend not to hear,just keep walking (if its a legitimate charge they will come looking for the extra $), if not they will quickly turn their attention to the next individual.

Theres a massive difference between pretending to be naive and innocent and actually being.

I'm assuming ur new to SEA but if you play it cool - get your passport back, usually then ur asked for an extra $1-$2 depending on how naive u appear.

I'll go out on a limb and hazard the guess that you're the newbie to SEA. The weekend surcharge is, and has long been, pretty much standard at Lao border posts.

Edited by sosisbesar

I'm assuming ur new to SEA but if you play it cool - get your passport back, usually then ur asked for an extra $1-$2 depending on how naive u appear. The request isnt specific to a weekend or week day - If u pretend not to hear,just keep walking (if its a legitimate charge they will come looking for the extra $), if not they will quickly turn their attention to the next individual.

Theres a massive difference between pretending to be naive and innocent and actually being.

If you are replying to my post. I can inform you that I made my first entry to Laos over 12 years ago.

The overstay fee is not the 40 baht or so they will try to charge after you get your visa or when you leave Laos.. It is charged when you apply for the visa after 5 pm or on weekends.

This is interesting and I would love for someone to clear up the confusion. It sounds like the "overtime" fee is pretty standard, is charged before the visa is issued (i.e. when they still have leverage), and I should go ahead and pay it. It also sounds like there are various ways they will try to charge me more once I have my visa and passport back, and I don't have to pay this a lot of the time.

I'd love some clarification on when this might happen. Does Laos try to charge me more to leave the country? Paying the country I am entering, to get in, seems like something I would do, while paying the country I am leaving, to get out, seems foolish. Unless they are actually going to stop me from leaving their country. I imagine most countries here don't want to make it too hard for folks like me to get out of their hair.

What are the charges I may be asked for that are not mandatory?

The overtime fee for doing the Lao visa on arrival is legit and you will get a receipt for the full amount you pay. It is only 100 baht or $2 if I recall correctly.

I have read posts by people complaining about paying 30 for 40 baht when leaving Laos. It has been over 6 years since I entered from Laos but I can recall getting a ticket for paying it. It is only small amount of money to pay.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

This is interesting and I would love for someone to clear up the confusion. It sounds like the "overtime" fee is pretty standard, is charged before the visa is issued (i.e. when they still have leverage), and I should go ahead and pay it. It also sounds like there are various ways they will try to charge me more once I have my visa and passport back, and I don't have to pay this a lot of the time.

I'd love some clarification on when this might happen. Does Laos try to charge me more to leave the country? Paying the country I am entering, to get in, seems like something I would do, while paying the country I am leaving, to get out, seems foolish. Unless they are actually going to stop me from leaving their country. I imagine most countries here don't want to make it too hard for folks like me to get out of their hair.

What are the charges I may be asked for that are not mandatory?

Hi

It’s a common enough practice in SEA when on occasion u have to make a decision whether or not it’s 'only $1 or $2' or it’s the principal rather than the amount. It very quickly becomes a bar stool argument.

It’s a personal decision. The last 2 times (2013) I crossed back to Mukdahan at the Laos Boarder I was asked for a THB40 donation and I acted as I said above and paid nought. No one came after me. I walked at a normal pace and acted like I didn't hear. The guy in front of me paid THB50 and said keep the change, and he wai'd the Immigration Officials. Also the last two times I crossed into Laos from Ubon Ratachthani, I was also asked for a $1 donation (2013) and similar my hearing failed me.

Weekend charges come and go - It’s a common 'issue' at most SEA border crossings. If it’s official, they'll be a receipt. Just keep ur eyes open. People who have paid it, will want to believe it was an official charge, rather than an innocents error. In any case, make sure u have single $1 bills as its cheaper than paying in Baht.

• Like 1