Phuket beach encroachers 'could face money laundering probes'

webfact

Phuket beach encroachers 'could face money laundering probes'
Anthika Muangrod

1402567522_1-org.jpg
V/Gov Jamroen: 'Whether you surrender or not, I don’t care. We will just enforce the law.'

PHUKET: -- Vice-Governor Jamroen Thippayapongtada said today that “more than a hundred businesses” on Kamala, Bang Tao, Surin and Layan Beaches are illegal and must be knocked down.

Those who fail to comply risk being prosecuted for a variety of offences, including money laundering.

“We visited every place along [the four beaches] and found that many people have been taking over public land illegally for a long time – in fact, since the Asian Tsunami of 2004, which is nearly 10 years ago. More than a hundred of them are encroaching the public land.”

The blitz against beachside or on-beach businesses is at the wishes of the Coup leaders' National Council for Peace and Order, he said, and he hopes that people will not fight it but will cooperate voluntarily.

“Cherng Talay OrBorTor [Tambon Administration Organisation] is providing transportation for people who realized they are doing wrong and want to to fix things themselves. This will make the process go faster.”

“We have given them all seven days to move out. That period starts from yesterday (June 11). So, by next week, if they don’t obey the law, they will be prosecuted because this contravenes the Building Control Act.”

OrBorTor President Ma’an Samran clarified that the OrBorTor is helping where it can, and if it has suitable equipment. He confirmed that many of the businesses found to be contravening the law are already complying with the quit order, and not waiting for the deadline to expire.

V/Gov Jamroen said that the provincial authorities are not just booting people out, but are trying to find legitimate places for them to operate from.

“We have asked local authorities, including the Thalang District Officer to find some land for them to work on legally. It’s partly public land but this is a trait of Thai society – everyone should be able to compromise.”

But he said he was not allowing people to pull the wool over his eyes by pleading poverty. “Many have claimed that they are just poor locals but from what I could see, the premises cost a fortune. Also, businesses had changed hands many times.”

He warned, “This action is being taken against many kinds of law-breaking, including laws that cover natural resources, marine resources, land, and – most importantly – money laundering. Those who resist will be investigated for money laundering and may have their money confiscated.”

“I want them to realize that what they are doing is bad, and to return public land to the public. I’m asking hotels along the beach to consider opening some space for these people to work in. Hotels I have spoken with have responded positively to this. I want to see the locals and businesses living happily together.

“Everyone is equal. It’s not a case of investors or locals; there are only ‘people’. Whether you are rich or not is not my concern. But if you are breaking a law, you must stop. Whether you surrender or not, I don’t care. We will just enforce the law.

“These people have no proof that they are the owners of the land [they are occupying]. If it’s on the beach, it’s a public place. It’s impossible for them to take it for their own.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-encroachers-could-face-money-laundering-probes-46825.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-12

• Like 1

you are right, craigt3365, and on Layan beach the new structures - 3 or 4 very big and shiny concrete restaurants - have been built in the last few months. Before, I have never seen something made of brick and mortar on the beach, so it is not from the times of post tsunami at all...

The investigation of money laundering should include the police and government officials who've allowed this to go on for so many years....they are the real culprits.

I hope the army have a good strategy planned ahead, which they just might have. Fighting only the fights they can easily win.

First steps are to go against few groups of crooks, which gives them public praising and at the same time destroys the support from these people to the bad politicians on the top.

When the support for the top officials is low, they can easily put down these criminals.

The investigation of money laundering should include the police and government officials who've allowed this to go on for so many years....they are the real culprits.

You know it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

i wish i had a time machine to next week :)

compromise will be found, this is Thailand after all

nobody complained when they were building from scratch ? or money exchanged hands to be "in order"

you are right, craigt3365, and on Layan beach the new structures - 3 or 4 very big and shiny concrete restaurants - have been built in the last few months. Before, I have never seen something made of brick and mortar on the beach, so it is not from the times of post tsunami at all...

Yes it is. That's exactly what it is.