How Long Can My Tw Stay On A Tourist Visa?

Hello Everyone,

I have a feeling there is no good answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway -

my Thai wife and myself (a US citizen) are planning a trip to the US to be

with my extended family for Christmas. She has already gotten a tourist

(non-immigrant) visa which is valid for entry into the US the next year, and

I'm trying to plan the trip right now.

The question is, how long will she likely be permitted to stay in the US? I need

to know before I buy the tickets, but according to what I've read, there is no

way of telling how long she will be permitted to stay by the US Immigration

official she happens to draw at the airport. (In fact, apparently, the US visa

doesn't even guarantee her *entry* into the US, much less guarantee she'll

be permitted to stay a particular amount of time).

Any advice for me? I am planning a two month stay, but if Thai citizens aren't

typically allowed to stay this long, maybe I should plan for a shorter stay?

Anyone have any experience with this - how long was your Thai wife allow to

stay?

Thanks in advance!

I always thought a tourist visa to the US was good for 6 months (after entry). As for being denied entry to the US, I doubt this would happen. It is up to the NVC & US Embassy to ensure that your wife is qualified for a visa to enter the US... not some Border Patrol official at the airport. Since your wife already has the visa, I would not sweat it.

Edited by Gumballl

Having a visa does not garantee entry to a country. The final decision is made at the entry port, usually by placing a date stamp in the passport.

It is still possible to be refused entry at a border despite holding a valid visa.

Edited by Old Croc

Having a visa does not garantee entry to a country. The final decision is made at the entry port, usually by placing a date stamp in the passport.

It is still possible to be refused entry at a border despite holding a valid visa.

What would be reasons for being denied entry at the border?

There are many reasons for being refused entry at a border.

ie: falsified docs, suspicion of intention regarding stay or work, further information to hand not available at visa issue, behaviour, 2 kilos of heroin found in baggage, etc, etc.

Yes, I never knew this until a few months ago, but it's true. From this page:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/temp_1305.html

"Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers, (citizens of other countries), coming to the U.S. temporarily. This visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the U.S. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States."

ie: falsified docs, suspicion of intention regarding stay or work, further information to hand not available at visa issue, behaviour, 2 kilos of heroin found in baggage, etc, etc.

I think carrying 2 kilos of heroin would actually guarantee us both

entry and a long, long stay in America :o

Hello Everyone,

I have a feeling there is no good answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway -

my Thai wife and myself (a US citizen) are planning a trip to the US to be

with my extended family for Christmas. She has already gotten a tourist

(non-immigrant) visa which is valid for entry into the US the next year, and

I'm trying to plan the trip right now.

The question is, how long will she likely be permitted to stay in the US? I need

to know before I buy the tickets, but according to what I've read, there is no

way of telling how long she will be permitted to stay by the US Immigration

official she happens to draw at the airport. (In fact, apparently, the US visa

doesn't even guarantee her *entry* into the US, much less guarantee she'll

be permitted to stay a particular amount of time).

Any advice for me? I am planning a two month stay, but if Thai citizens aren't

typically allowed to stay this long, maybe I should plan for a shorter stay?

Anyone have any experience with this - how long was your Thai wife allow to

stay?

Thanks in advance!

I wonder how many of the other posters actually know a Thai that has traveled to the US. :o

My wife, 3 friend’s wives, and probably 20 Thai work colleagues have all traveled to the US over the last 2 years. Every single one of them went straight through US Immigration and was given a 6 month entry stamp.

TH

Physically you would enter the country, but not on your tourist visa. Different countries have different rules, but in Australia you would be entered on a criminal justice visa.

Physically you would enter the country, but not on your tourist visa. Different countries have different rules, but in Australia you would be entered on a criminal justice visa.

Since every country I have ever entered had customs inspection after immigration and assuming the authorities would wait until then to nab you, wouldn't you have actually entered on the tourist visa first? They would then have to make some sort of adjustment in status to fit your jail sentence after the trial?

TH

Since every country I have ever entered had customs inspection after immigration and assuming the authorities would wait until then to nab you, wouldn't you have actually entered on the tourist visa first? They would then have to make some sort of adjustment in status to fit your jail sentence after the trial?

TH

Generally you are not deemed to have entered a country until you leave customs and enter the public area. In Australia it's called the Migration Zone. The visa can be cancelled while you are within this area.

The question is, how long will she likely be permitted to stay in the US?

What did she tell them when she applied for her visa? I know for the UK, they ask how long are you going to be in the country? So if you say 1 month and even although you get a 6 month visa you stay for 2 or 3 months. MAYBE! Later they may ask why you stayed longer than you first said at your application.